• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Wave of FM Talk Stations Coming?

> It is rumoured that Infinity plans on switching some of
> their stations to the Hot Talk format on FM......

Salem has done it in Sacramento, cutting back a bible-thumper
(OK, so I'm unkind) from two signals to one and repurosing
the other to conservative talk. It simulcasts an AM that
had already been carrying the format. Interesting that the
ID's and promos now identify the FM first and most prominently
and mention the AM as almost an afterthought.

I think somebody has suddenly figured out that there are too
many FM's with very similar same-old-same-old formats and are
in search of something that stands out...even the various
Spanish-language formats have become so numerous that many
are sounding uncomfortably alike.

So how long before somebody's favorite music format gets
bumped off FM and they try cleaning up the signal on a
powerful AM and going stereo at full bandwidth? OK, so it
won't be Clear Channel, they having forgotten what full
bandwidth is.......

Not that I'm promoting it; just trying to think what might get
tried to get out of the format doldrums of the 21st century.
<P ID="signature">______________
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them! (if any)
--Friedrich Nietzsch</P>

> I think somebody has suddenly figured out that there are too many FM's with very
> similar same-old-same-old formats and are in search of something that stands
> out...even the various Spanish-language formats have become so numerous that
> many are sounding uncomfortably alike.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: I think it's more like the fact that someone has figured out that radio needs more talk stations (and therefore more talk formats eventually) because if we remain mostly a music delivery system, we'll lose. Jockless formats, such as Jack, are nothing more than iPods attached to a transmitter. I already have the iPod; who needs your transmitter? The current formulas aren't gonna cut it much longer. No, we can't have ALL talk stations but the more they can make viable, the better off they'll be.

> So how long before somebody's favorite music format gets bumped off FM and
> they try cleaning up the signal on a powerful AM and going stereo at full
> bandwidth? OK, so it won't be Clear Channel, they having forgotten what full
> bandwidth is....... Not that I'm promoting it; just trying to think what might
> get tried to get out of the format doldrums of the 21st century.

The pain is getting bad enough that we may well enter into an era of experimentation. We can only hope so. <P ID="signature">______________
"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library." - Frank Zappa

<a href="http://saltydog.5gigs.com">
The Salty Dog</a>
</P>

I agree 100%. Radio is in dire need of new formats, especially non-music formats, for exactly the reason you point out. Maybe, just maybe, we've reached the critical point where station owners can't rest on their laurels and take the easy (read: lazy) way of running a station.

> Jockless formats, such as Jack, are
> nothing more than iPods attached to a transmitter.

No...jockless formats are iPods with 20 minutes of commercials...FM music lost the minute legal MP3s became mainstream.

Re: Hollander says it is a rumor blown out of proportion

> It is rumoured that Infinity plans on switching some of
> their stations to the Hot Talk format on FM and Clear
> Channel is expected to in a Top 10 market. More on
> www.radiobb.com and www.insideradio.com

Joel Hollander said to RBR today...

"Free FM has more to do about Jay Severin
The big buzz earlier today was about Infinity launching “Free FM” FM talk stations across the country on 22 stations. Infinity CEO Joel Hollander says that’s “Somebody just throwing stuff out there. It more has to do with Jay Severin (from WTKK-FM Boston), which we are putting out an announcement on today. We’re going to be announcing which stations he’s going to be on. I don’t know why they mixed it up so bad.” Hollander says some major Severin affiliates will be announced. “Free FM” was apparently just registered as a protection. Says Hollander: “They were protecting some URLs and other things a while ago and there’s nothing there - - don’t worry about it.”

> > It is rumoured that Infinity plans on switching some of
> > their stations to the Hot Talk format on FM and Clear
> > Channel is expected to in a Top 10 market. More on
> > www.radiobb.com and www.insideradio.com
>
> Joel Hollander said to RBR today...
>
> "Free FM has more to do about Jay Severin
> The big buzz earlier today was about Infinity launching
> “Free FM” FM talk stations across the country on 22
> stations. Infinity CEO Joel Hollander says that’s “Somebody
> just throwing stuff out there. It more has to do with Jay
> Severin (from WTKK-FM Boston), which we are putting out an
> announcement on today. We’re going to be announcing which
> stations he’s going to be on. I don’t know why they mixed it
> up so bad.” Hollander says some major Severin affiliates
> will be announced. “Free FM” was apparently just registered
> as a protection. Says Hollander: “They were protecting some
> URLs and other things a while ago and there’s nothing there
> - - don’t worry about it.”
>

I dunno. Why would you protect THAT particular URL if you have no plans on using it eventually?

Does anyone else get the feeling that watching Inifinity as of late is like watching the Three Stooges (complete with music)? I mean, compared to Clear Channel, Infinity's PR has been positively bumbling. F---in' ponderous, as Casey might say.

Similarly, I don't really take alot of encouragement from CEOs telling me "don't worry about it" (especially if they're from GM!).

> I dunno. Why would you protect THAT particular URL if you
> have no plans on using it eventually?

Right. It's not like Hollander is going to come out and say "Hey, you got us, look for Free-FM coming soon." Of course he's going to deny it. That's his job, to keep his competitors guessing. Bottom line is that there's always a reason for registering a domain. Infinity was at least entertaining the concept of a Free-FM brand, even if nothing was set in stone.

I wonder if they're reconsidering using that branding now. Amazing what a lil' ole Radio-Info post can stir up.

> I wonder if they're reconsidering using that branding now.
> Amazing what a lil' ole Radio-Info post can stir up.

I don't want to take credit for something I might not have done, but I'm thinking that others may have gotten the information about the Free FM domain names from my post at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=565833&Board=sanfrancisco>http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=565833&Board=sanfrancisco</a>.

If anyone else here had the privilage to see 1059freefm.com, 1069freefm.com, and all of the other Free FM domain names connecting to an Infinity-owned page asking what format the Bay Area wanted to hear...

...then you could not possibly believe anything that Hollander is saying.

Re: I think what we need is more stations like KYOURadio...

Hi everyone:

...I mean THINK ABOUT IT. MORE stations like KYOURadio means MORE podcasts will get exposure, which in turn, leads to those who produce LONGER podcasts (like I do) actually have a chance of growing A REAL audience.

And for the music lovers out there, there's A GROWING number of music podcasts and AN EQUALLY GROWING collection of PodSafe music maintained by C.C. Chapman of PodShow.com It wouldn't take much for Infinity to start airing that music on some of these stations being considered for this "Free FM" format instead of the same o' same o' crapola they air now.

Plus doing so would mean FINALLY standing up to the record labels AND (also finally) setting Clear Channel back on its corporate ears.

I mean let's face it. There are HUNDREDS (if not THOUSANDS) of podcasts out there right now. One station, regardless of location, can't possibly handle all those shows (even if each podcaster had 15 seconds). KYCY-AM San Francisco (e.g. KYOURadio) needs help (And I don't mean in terms of ratings either).

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers for now :)<P ID="signature">______________
patspodcast03a.jpg

http://nuke102.blogspot.com/
Radio? Uhh.....What's THAT?? :)</P>

> Hi everyone:
>
> ...I mean THINK ABOUT IT. MORE stations like KYOURadio
> means MORE podcasts will get exposure, which in turn, leads
> to those who produce LONGER podcasts (like I do) actually
> have a chance of growing A REAL audience.

I'm a big fan of podcasting but we will have to just wait and find out if any one show catches on and grows a REAL (i.e. large by broadcast standards). My first instinct is to say it won't happen but a real standout talent just might. I am skeptical that it will happen anytime soon, however.

> And for the music lovers out there, there's A GROWING number of music podcasts > and AN EQUALLY GROWING collection of PodSafe music maintained by C.C. Chapman > of PodShow.com It wouldn't take much for Infinity to start airing that music > on some of these stations being considered for this "Free FM" format instead
> of the same o' same o' crapola they air now.

It wouldn't take much for them to air my rendition of Bolero on a comb and wax paper either. Who would listen? And even if, over time, they could grow an audience with PodSafe music over time, publicly traded companies do not get that much time to show results. Only a private company could pull this off and that's only if it would work at all which is doubtful.

> Plus doing so would mean FINALLY standing up to the record labels AND (also
> finally) setting Clear Channel back on its corporate ears.

You want to stand up to the record companies? Grab a sign and picket their headquarter. You want to set Clear Channel back on its corporate ears? Do nothing, it's happening without any assist from anyone.

> I mean let's face it. There are HUNDREDS (if not THOUSANDS) of podcasts out
> there right now. One station, regardless of location, can't possibly handle
> all those shows (even if each podcaster had 15 seconds).

There are thousands of shows only because it takes so little to make one. Hell, I could make one. Or as economists say: The barriers to entry are low. This is a bad thing as far as gaining any sizable audience. <P ID="signature">______________
"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library." - Frank Zappa

The Salty Dog</a>
</P>

> > Hi everyone:
> >
> > ...I mean THINK ABOUT IT. MORE stations like KYOURadio
> > means MORE podcasts will get exposure, which in turn,
> leads
> > to those who produce LONGER podcasts (like I do) actually
> > have a chance of growing A REAL audience.
>
> I'm a big fan of podcasting but we will have to just wait
> and find out if any one show catches on and grows a REAL
> (i.e. large by broadcast standards). My first instinct is to
> say it won't happen but a real standout talent just might. I
> am skeptical that it will happen anytime soon, however.

This would be a safe and conservative way to go think HOWEVER...

> > And for the music lovers out there, there's A GROWING
> number of music podcasts > and AN EQUALLY GROWING collection
> of PodSafe music maintained by C.C. Chapman > of PodShow.com
> It wouldn't take much for Infinity to start airing that
> music > on some of these stations being considered for this
> "Free FM" format instead
> > of the same o' same o' crapola they air now.
>
> It wouldn't take much for them to air my rendition of Bolero
> on a comb and wax paper either. Who would listen?

Umm...How 'bout AVERAGE ORDINARY PEOPLE?? We are at a point now where people are so DESPERATE for some variety that they would just assume pop some PodSafe music in their iPods (if they don't go to Rhapsody or some other music site) than they would rather listen to the SAME O' SAME O' CRAPOLA played a thousand times over on some dumb radio station. It's the truth dude. Don't believe me, look at the stats.

> And even if, over time, they could grow an audience with PodSafe
> music over time, publicly traded companies do not get that
> much time to show results. Only a private company could pull
> this off and that's only if it would work at all which is
> doubtful.

Ahh....But if ANYONE can do it, it WOULD be Infinity. Why? Simple. INFINITY HAS THE BALLS!! They also have the resources. They're also owned by a company that also has a HUGE stake in a record label (if they don't own it outright).

That company is none other than Viacom.

> > Plus doing so would mean FINALLY standing up to the record
> labels AND (also
> > finally) setting Clear Channel back on its corporate ears.
>
>
> You want to stand up to the record companies? Grab a sign
> and picket their headquarter. You want to set Clear Channel
> back on its corporate ears? Do nothing, it's happening
> without any assist from anyone.

Okay dude. NOW you've brought the activist in me (what little there is) out. First off, what you just said is above is THE BIGGEST bunch of BS I've EVER seen ANYONE here on Radio-Info say.

Secondly, grabbing a sign and picketing the corporate headquarters of Clear Channel hasn't done anything but land people in jail. Don't believe me, ask those activists who've tried it. Sure some of them may have had ulterior agendas other than to protest Clear Channel's activities or programming, but hey, you take the good with the bad.

THE BEST way to force change in the media is to BECOME THE MEDIA ITSELF!! That is what we podcasters and Internet Radio & TV station owners are trying to do.

BECOME THE MEDIA - Just as terrestrial FM Radio stations and TV stations BEFORE THEM did.

I hate to say this dude, but the logic behind your comments above is antiquated.

> > I mean let's face it. There are HUNDREDS (if not
> THOUSANDS) of podcasts out
> > there right now. One station, regardless of location,
> can't possibly handle
> > all those shows (even if each podcaster had 15 seconds).
>
>
> There are thousands of shows only because it takes so little
> to make one. Hell, I could make one. Or as economists say:
> The barriers to entry are low. This is a bad thing as far as
> gaining any sizable audience.

That is short-sighted and you know it. Who's to say that Dawn & Drew won't hit it big someday? They're already up on Sirius Channel 103 (Sirius Stars 103 for those of you subscribers amongst us :) ) along with the rest of Adam Curry's PodSquad.

Just my opinions :)

Cheers for now :)

Pat <P ID="signature">______________
patspodcast03a.jpg

http://nuke102.blogspot.com/
Radio? Uhh.....What's THAT?? :)</P>

> Umm...How 'bout AVERAGE ORDINARY PEOPLE?? We are at a point now where people > are so DESPERATE for some variety that they would just assume pop some PodSafe
> music in their iPods (if they don't go to Rhapsody or some other music site)
> than they would rather listen to the SAME O' SAME O' CRAPOLA played a thousand > times over on some dumb radio station. It's the truth dude. Don't believe me, > look at the stats.

You might be right. Music is outside my area of expertise. I'm just guessing. Hell, aren't we ALL just guessing?

> Ahh....But if ANYONE can do it, it WOULD be Infinity. Why? Simple. INFINITY
> HAS THE BALLS!! They also have the resources. They're also owned by a
> company that also has a HUGE stake in a record label (if they don't own it
> outright).

I'm a bigger fan of Infinity since Karmazin left. (I have nothing against him. It just seems like he had the answer to any problem as long as the question was: "How can we cut costs?") I dunno 'bout the balls and the resources (lotsa companies have resources but those whiny shareholders are always yipping about quarterly profits) but maybe they would. Unlike Clear Channel, they have enough other revenue streams that maybe they would be more likely to experiment.

>> That company is none other than Viacom. Plus doing so would mean FINALLY
>> standing up to the record labels AND (also finally) setting Clear Channel back on its corporate ears.

> > You want to stand up to the record companies? Grab a sign
> > and picket their headquarter. You want to set Clear
> >Channel back on its corporate ears? Do nothing, it's happening
> > without any assist from anyone.

> Okay dude. NOW you've brought the activist in me (what
> little there is) out. First off, what you just said is
> above is THE BIGGEST bunch of BS I've EVER seen ANYONE here
> on Radio-Info say.

I'm flattered but really, THE BIGGEST bunch of BS EVER by ANYONE? I'm guilty of a lot of BS but I don't think I win the prize. But I appreciate the vote.

> THE BEST way to force change in the media is to BECOME THE MEDIA ITSELF!!
> That is what we podcasters and Internet Radio & TV station owners are trying
> to do. BECOME THE MEDIA - Just as terrestrial FM Radio stations and TV
> stations BEFORE THEM did. I hate to say this dude, but the logic behind your
> comments above is antiquated.

Well, coming from an antique such as myself, that's entirely possible. I must be doing an even crappier job of explaining myself than usual and that's saying something. Because the fact is, I may be antiquated and full of BS (my wife agrees with you) but I'm a fairly technical antiquated old fart because I'm a big fan of podcasting and of Internet radio. It's the whole business model making money thing that I'm not too sure about. Actually, I think there's money to be made but I think the road we'll take is to pay-for-content instead of this old advertising model, or what they call "free". (I attach a value to the time I spend listening to commercials and refuse to go along with this moniker.)

> That is short-sighted and you know it. Who's to say that Dawn & Drew won't
> hit it big someday? They're already up on Sirius Channel 103 (Sirius Stars
> 103 for those of you subscribers amongst us :) ) along with the rest of Adam
> Curry's PodSquad.

No, I don't know it. But I don't know that you're wrong either.

> Just my opinions :)

Mine too. If any of my opinions piss you off, you're taking them a lot more seriously than I do. I might change my mind tomorrow.<P ID="signature">______________

The Salty Dog</a>
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom