• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Blast From Boston's Radio Past - Pt. 1 (AM)

I first came to Boston in the early 70s. Here is how I remember things from back in the day...

590 - WEEI - Talk, then all news. They were owned by the Celtics at one point if my memory serves me correctly. The name Paul Benzaquin comes to mind.
Their sister station was WEEI-FM (103.3).
680 - WRKO - Top 40, went talk around 1980. Boston's home for the Drake format. Home of Dale Dorman. Some of the early talkers included Jerry Williams (after leaving WBZ), Dick Syatt, and Gene Burns. (Originally owned by General Tire, before the FCC forced them out of the industry.)

Their sister station was WRKO-FM (98.5) which later became the original WROR.
740 - WCAS - An eclectic mix of folk, rock and whatever else they wanted to play. Known for their quirky sign-offs, as they were daytime only. Went gospel (WLVG) in the 90s, then finally became WJIB. It's ironic that the original WCAS was once part of the same company that owned WJIB-FM (96.9) before it was sold off.
850 - WHDH - Before it became WEEI, it was an MOR station, home of morning man Jess Cain and Bob Raleigh (who did either late evenings or overnights, and later went to WBZ (1030.) Some later talkers were David Brudnoy (also WRKO, WBZ) and Larry Glick (who left WBZ for WHDH.) Sister staton at the time was WHDH-FM (later WCOZ, WJMN) (94.5).
950 - WROL - They were WORL before becoming WRYT and then WROL. A lot of Catholic programming, but on Saturdays it was the Irish Hit Parade with John Latchford. Also the Yankee Kitchen with Gus Saunders.
1030 - WBZ - Known for covering 38 states. Before they went all news/talk they played music during the day. Carl DeSuze, Larry Justice, Dave Maynard, Bob Raleigh all worked there. Of course we can't forget Jerry Williams and Larry Glick overnights. Sister station was automated top-40 WBZ-FM (106.7)
- Jokingly called "Garabedian's Toy Radio" it was an out of Natick and was a top-40 station, with many incarnations, call letters and formats. During the 80s it was WTTP "Touch Talk People." That was also the butt of a few jokes... then under the Langer group it was WMEX and later WBIX and sold to a catholic group in 2010. I worked at Langer for a number of years... a lot of stories that probably don't belong here... but I digress.
1150 - WCOP - Boston's country station until sometime in the late 70s they became WACQ (Oldies), WHUE (Beautiful Music) WSNY and many more formats and call changes. They finally ended up with the WWDJ call sign, which some of you may remember as a top-40 station in New York/New Jersey. Their sister station at the time was WCOP-FM (100.7).
1260 - WEZE - Before adopting a Christian format sometime in the late 70s/early 80s, they were a music outlet with varying formats like MOR, easy listening and oldies. Their studio was once the famous fishbowl Boston's Statler building.
1430 - WWEL - They were easy listening at the time. The station was owned by Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsburg, so the running joke was that the call letters stood for "Woo Woo Easy Listening." Sister station was WWEL-FM (107.9) which of course became WXKS.
1510 - WMEX - It was top-40 until about 1976 when it went talk (I seem to recall Avi Nelson here). Ron Robin, Jerry Williams, and (possibly) Larry Glick worked there before moving on. There was a rivalry between WMEX and WRKO in the mid 70s. Tom Allen, "King" Arthur Knight, Gary DeGraide. There are others that I can't think of right now.

Read John Garabedian's book if you want some stories about Boston radio back in the day. I'm finding it a good read so far. WMEX and WGTR get quite a bit of mention since he worked at one/owned the other. He talks about the WMEX vs WRKO competition as well.

Read John Garabedian's book if you want some stories about Boston radio back in the day. I'm finding it a good read so far. WMEX and WGTR get quite a bit of mention since he worked at one/owned the other. He talks about the WMEX vs WRKO competition as well.
I will definitely check that one out.

I don't think Woo Woo owned 1430.
Gen mgr, 1972? maybe later?
>>In the 1980s, (Richie) Balsbaugh took ownership control of WXKS and WXKS-FM, focusing more attention on the FM side than on the AM. --wiki

I don't think Woo Woo owned 1430.
Gen mgr, 1972? maybe later?

Arnie was the GM at one time of WWEL

I don’t know how or if he was involved during the Heftel period.

He was definitely part owner of XKS-A/F under the Richie Balsbaugh period.

I know he was overseeing the Music of your Life format on the am at one time.

Last edited:
I first came to Boston in the early 70s. Here is how I remember things from back in the day...

590 - WEEI - Talk, then all news. They were owned by the Celtics at one point if my memory serves me correctly. The name Paul Benzaquin comes to mind.
Their sister station was WEEI-FM (103.3).
680 - WRKO - Top 40, went talk around 1980. Boston's home for the Drake format. Home of Dale Dorman. Some of the early talkers included Jerry Williams (after leaving WBZ), Dick Syatt, and Gene Burns. (Originally owned by General Tire, before the FCC forced them out of the industry.)

Their sister station was WRKO-FM (98.5) which later became the original WROR.
740 - WCAS - An eclectic mix of folk, rock and whatever else they wanted to play. Known for their quirky sign-offs, as they were daytime only. Went gospel (WLVG) in the 90s, then finally became WJIB. It's ironic that the original WCAS was once part of the same company that owned WJIB-FM (96.9) before it was sold off.
850 - WHDH - Before it became WEEI, it was an MOR station, home of morning man Jess Cain and Bob Raleigh (who did either late evenings or overnights, and later went to WBZ (1030.) Some later talkers were David Brudnoy (also WRKO, WBZ) and Larry Glick (who left WBZ for WHDH.) Sister staton at the time was WHDH-FM (later WCOZ, WJMN) (94.5).
950 - WROL - They were WORL before becoming WRYT and then WROL. A lot of Catholic programming, but on Saturdays it was the Irish Hit Parade with John Latchford. Also the Yankee Kitchen with Gus Saunders.
1030 - WBZ - Known for covering 38 states. Before they went all news/talk they played music during the day. Carl DeSuze, Larry Justice, Dave Maynard, Bob Raleigh all worked there. Of course we can't forget Jerry Williams and Larry Glick overnights. Sister station was automated top-40 WBZ-FM (106.7)
1060 - WGTR - Jokingly called "Garabedian's Toy Radio" it was an out of Natick and was a top-40 station, with many incarnations, call letters and formats. During the 80s it was WTTP "Touch Talk People." That was also the butt of a few jokes... then under the Langer group it was WMEX and later WBIX and sold to a catholic group in 2010. I worked at Langer for a number of years... a lot of stories that probably don't belong here... but I digress.
1150 - WCOP - Boston's country station until sometime in the late 70s they became WACQ (Oldies), WHUE (Beautiful Music) WSNY and many more formats and call changes. They finally ended up with the WWDJ call sign, which some of you may remember as a top-40 station in New York/New Jersey. Their sister station at the time was WCOP-FM (100.7).
1260 - WEZE - Before adopting a Christian format sometime in the late 70s/early 80s, they were a music outlet with varying formats like MOR, easy listening and oldies. Their studio was once the famous fishbowl Boston's Statler building.
1430 - WWEL - They were easy listening at the time. The station was owned by Arnie "Woo Woo" Ginsburg, so the running joke was that the call letters stood for "Woo Woo Easy Listening." Sister station was WWEL-FM (107.9) which of course became WXKS.
1510 - WMEX - It was top-40 until about 1976 when it went talk (I seem to recall Avi Nelson here). Ron Robin, Jerry Williams, and (possibly) Larry Glick worked there before moving on. There was a rivalry between WMEX and WRKO in the mid 70s. Tom Allen, "King" Arthur Knight, Gary DeGraide. There are others that I can't think of right now.
590 WEEI was a CBS Owned and Operated station for years before first being sold to Helen Broadcasting....a company that owned the Papa Ginos Pizza chain then it was owned by the Celtics. 1150 WCOP became WACQ in May 1977 and was Top 40 it was not oldies. 1260 WEZE had a few different music formats over the years but the one they had before being sold to Salem and going religion was a format called Album 1260 programmed by Clark Smidt. 1510 WMEX first went from Top 40 to a MOR format in 1975. They took the Red Sox broadcast rights from WHDH and brought over Alan Dary also from WHDH to host mid days. Bob Raleigh was mid days at WHDH then went over to WBZ in 1976 in the same time slot. He never did overnights on WHDH.

Here's something I just found. This is what WBIX looked like in 2007. It's what was at one time the old WVBF/WROR studio on the second floor. The window (which you can't see here) is on the left hand side of the picture. Notice the old DOS version of "Cart Ready." This studio was converted into an office later on.

Well... I thought I posted the picture but I guess it didn't take. Let's try this again. WBIX in 2007.

WBIX_2007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom