• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99X launches new TV ads and billboards

Apparently 99X has launched a new billboard campaign. They have one on Main Street in Acworth that shows a woman screaming out the names of their artists.

They also have launched a TV commercial that was on Fox 5 earlier promoting the station.

This all appears to be a classic case of a station on it's last leg. (Remember Fox 97 in late 2002 right before it went away, with TV ads and an on-air campaign to save the station).

This station's a goner by summer. Time to play "name the new format". My bet is on CHR "Q99".

jal41 said:
Apparently 99X has launched a new billboard campaign. They have one on Main Street in Acworth that shows a woman screaming out the names of their artists.

They also have launched a TV commercial that was on Fox 5 earlier promoting the station.

This all appears to be a classic case of a station on it's last leg. (Remember Fox 97 in late 2002 right before it went away, with TV ads and an on-air campaign to save the station).

This station's a goner by summer. Time to play "name the new format". My bet is on CHR "Q99".

Radio stations don't spend hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars on TV campaigns (production & ad buys) just to flip format. Yours is a stupid assertion based on nothing.

If this were a new station an ad campaign might seem normal but it's a declining station with an air of irrelevance about it. It does seem like the dying gasps and I could also see a format flip soon. I don't like the idea of 99X going away, it was my favorite station in the nineties but they blew it. When they killed off the Morning X some years ago and forced the lame, trying to hard to be funny talant, the listeners sensed the desperation and chaos. It was like someone was pointing a gun at the on air staff saying:
'OK, here's how it is, Crash and Toucher are going to say something zany and you're going to laugh hysterically, got it?'
Ever since then the station just seems dying, the jocks may sound good and the morning show may be ok but there's no magic and I wonder if the jocks feel free to be themselves or not. Sigh...if only they would have let the normal listenership pattern dip as the original listeners got old and married and not freaked out over it....

SalesWeasel said:
jal41 said:

Radio stations don't spend hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars on TV campaigns (production & ad buys) just to flip format. Yours is a stupid assertion based on nothing.

Hold on there Weasie, of course WNNX is gonna flip to Q99 to do battle with Q100. (Mocking sarcasm implied.)

jal41 said:
This all appears to be a classic case of a station on it's last leg.

Yeah, with the Spring Book beginning in just a few days - how weird for a station to start a marketing campaign to attempt to boost ratings. I'm sure no other station will do similar, or start major contesting.

Think before you speak. 99X isn't going anywhere.

They still bill pretty well. I think it's smart with a new morn show to hit it hard for Spring. But to blame the demise of the once mighty X on Touchers show is laughable. The old show was in a steady decline and not coming back. Toucher and Co. had some good books, outperforming the rest of the station.

millhouse said:
But to blame the demise of the once mighty X on Touchers show is laughable.

OK, a morning show isn't going to sink a station but is a symptom. As a listener I remember the the Morning X started sounding under duress and the forced laughter was out of character and made me as a listener just feel that the whole station's staff was uncomfortable. In the mid nineties heyday I remember having a conversation with someone about the Morning X, both of us not in the radio business at all, the idea was that the Morning X was so good because they weren't trying to be funny but were just being themselves and the personalities interacting was compelling. I even heard Jimmy Baron comment on one of the lame 96 Rock morning shows, Johnboy and Billy possibly?, anyway he said if you want to hear someone laughing at their own jokes then they were for you, I knew what he meant. It was noticable when Jimmy and the others started doing just that, laughing at their own jokes. That wasn't merely the morning show losing their touch but symbolic of the station's attitude and it made me less inclined to leave my dial there at other times of the day too, who wants to keep the dial on a station that's nervous and uncomfortable with itself?

Disclaimer: I'm not in the business at all, never have been but am a fan of it and enjoy discussing the workings. You can certainly point out radio business tenets that I know nothing about at least consider that I'm giving you the viewpoint of a listener that thinks about why he listens. I'm not convinced that the industry who's experts are prone to making the decisions they do is so infalible anyway. Until you can explain how decisions like hiring famous non-radio personalites to be talk show hosts (DLR) are made and how steps have been taken to ensure it never happens again, you'll need some help from outside. As for 99X, they blew it with the Crash-Toucher extravaganza, it may have been a symptom but the fact is that they (managment direction) were trying too hard to be funny, they looked desperate in the eyes(ears?) of their listeners and lost the coolness that they had. They became the non-redneck Johnboy and Billy and the rest of the listening day followed.

99X has a long history of using outdoor billboards. As far as agencies are concerned, the spring book is the most important of the year. So I wouldn't read anything into this except that certainly no decision has been made to flip formats. It's just a natural thing to do for the spring book.

millhouse said:
But to blame the demise of the once mighty X on Touchers show is laughable. The old show was in a steady decline and not coming back. Toucher and Co. had some good books, outperforming the rest of the station.

For whatever it's worth, Toucher being moved to mornings was the reason I stopped listening to the station. I couldn't stand his evening show (which I used to call "Living Obnoxious") so once the move was made, I deleted 99x from my presets and haven't bothered to listen at all since Dave went live.

DSV 632 said:
millhouse said:
But to blame the demise of the once mighty X on Touchers show is laughable. The old show was in a steady decline and not coming back. Toucher and Co. had some good books, outperforming the rest of the station.

For whatever it's worth, Toucher being moved to mornings was the reason I stopped listening to the station. I couldn't stand his evening show (which I used to call "Living Obnoxious") so once the move was made, I deleted 99x from my presets and haven't bothered to listen at all since Dave went live.

Impressive. By my calculations that means you've endured roughly 17,000 doses of Tom Petty and/or Dire Straits. Well done.

FakeFlam said:
Impressive. By my calculations that means you've endured roughly 17,000 doses of Tom Petty and/or Dire Straits. Well done.

Yes, but I was spared countless hours of listening to Toucher come off as a smarmy, hipper-than-thou prick. Besides, I'd rather listen to Dire Straits and Tom Petty than The Killers and My Chemical Romance, so I am happier to be without 99x all the way around. :)

DSV 632 said:
millhouse said:

I stopped listening and turned to Dave as well. Toucher was just out of his element with Jimmy and Leslie. They're great in their own rights, but was a horrible mix. No chemistry at all. Toucher's got the right mix with Rich, Crash and Adolfo in Boston. If X had them, or made the Morning show the "Axel Jimmy and Leslie Show", I think it would've been a totally different outcome, much to the positive.

As far as Dave is concerned, I'm starting to switch off since they've become more and more personality less. I work nights and don't get off until 9 in the morning. Shuffle does nothing for me except want me to put one of my CDs in and hit "shuffle".

As a former small-market personality who hopes to someday be back behind the mic again somewhere, I definately support my broadcast brotherin. Turning a station into an iPod that listeners can't program just makes them get their iPod that they can program and play that instead. That's not just Dave, but the current trend of radio these days, started in the small markets now migrated here in Atlanta. Which, by the way, has caused another two-edged sword: Great personalities are now out of work, and the job cuts has closed an already difficult to open door of opportunity for up and coming personalities to hone their skills, so that ever-decreasing pool of "great personalities" will depleat to nothing since there won't be anyone "experienced" enough to fill that void.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom