• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98 Years Ago Today "The Grand Old Opry" Began at WSM

The question is how much longer will the Opry or its associated radio show last? A lot of the older artists will be aging out soon, and although they still do induct new hitmakers it doesn't have nearly the prestige it used to have. For that matter, who is the in person and radio audience these days? Older fans of the older acts, tourists in for the spectacle, or something else?

The question is how much longer will the Opry or its associated radio show last? A lot of the older artists will be aging out soon, and although they still do induct new hitmakers it doesn't have nearly the prestige it used to have.

It does for those new artists who revere heritage. So yes, as the old members die out, they induct new people. They just announced Idol winner Scotty McCreery is joining the show. Among the current members: Luke Combs, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, Blake Shelton, and more. The radio show part of it is less important than the brand itself. They just did an NBC TV special a few days ago, and I hear the Saturday night show is about to be added to the NBC lineup. So don't count them out just yet.

"The Grand Ole Opry, one of the longest-lived and most popular showcases for western music, begins broadcasting live from Nashville, Tennessee on November 28, 1925. The showcase was originally named the Barn Dance, after a Chicago radio program called the National Barn Dance that had begun broadcasting the previous year."

More at The Grand Ole Opry begins broadcasting | November 28, 1925 | HISTORY

Among other facts, "The WSM producers recognized that Americans were growing nostalgic for the rural past, so all live performers at the Grand Ole Opry were required to dress in period costumes and adopt old-time names."
Not only named after the WLS National Barn Dance but hosted by the originator of it George D. Hay, lured from Chicago for that purpose. He billed himself as the Solemn Old Judge.

I discovered DXing in 1969 when a shortwave radio arrived for my birthday. WSM was the first nighttime DX catch. The top of hour ID still included “the National Life and Accident Insurance Company” leading into NBC Radio News on the Hour.

For that matter, who is the in person and radio audience these days? Older fans of the older acts, tourists in for the spectacle, or something else?
The current acts attract their own fans. I remember when Ashley McBryde was inducted last year around this time and the crowd looked to be half older tourists, half fans of McBryde. The older ones tolerate the rock-influenced country of the younger performers, knowing that the show will always include a couple of veteran acts. Often, the younger singers will cover a George Jones or Merle Haggard or Patsy Cline song to please the longtime country music fans in the audience,

George D Hay's father owned this building in Attica Indiana. It was just around the corner from the FM commercial station I owned in Attica. I loved that town. Enter George Hays building and you will see his name as you enter.

George Hay.png

George D Hay's father owned this building in Attica Indiana. It was just around the corner from the FM commercial station I owned in Attica. I loved that town. Enter George Hays building and you will see his name as you enter.
Mr. Dutchman, Sir: at some point regale us with anecdotes and stories of station ownership.

I all-too-often tell my own stories of the stations I built and owned in South America, but it's obvious that your experience in ownership "right here in America" would be make far more relevant postings.

A relative on my Dad's side of the family went to Nashville and took loads of brick by horse and wagon to construction sites. He lived frugally and saved a tidy sum of cash. He purchased, with a loan from his bank, an old closed down flour mill that he reopened. His product: Martha White Flour. He advertised (and the company may still) as they were (are) the longest running advertiser on the Grand Ol' Opry.

My Dad told me he met him in his office taking up the penthouse floor of the tallest building in Nashville at that time. My Dad was in high school when he visited. He said the furnishings were high end. The exception was a beat up little sign on his desk he refused to part with. The sign said: Early to bed. Early to rise. Work like hell. And Advertise.

One of the things he told my Dad that really helped him early on when they went to visit stores and stock the flour was hiring a couple of country bands and a couple of flatbed trailers. These bands would visit a different county seat Friday and Saturday and play music on the flatbed. With no TV and little in the way of entertainment, people loved that Martha White Flour hired bands that would come to their town to play.

If I met the guy I was too young to remember. He might have passed on by the time I came along but at any rate he wasn't a relative we saw on our visits back to Nashville (we moved from there when I was 5 to Richmond).

Back
Top Bottom