• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

98.9 The Vibe replaces News/Talk

Classic Hip-Hop in Memphis?

Could we see a classic hip-hop station in Memphis? Could 103.5, 101.9 or 95.7 flip?

What's the demo for it and is it sellable? I could see 103.5 moving some of the 80s and early 90s in to their rotation, albeit slowly. 95.7? I doubt it.

Actually, it looks like Flinn may be doing classic hip-hop on the 96.3 translator. Sunny has indicated it is moving to 103.1.

Not sure where it will originate because WHBQ will still need the AM, and the signal contour is too far from 1240 to legally originate it. As far as I know, Flinn doesn't do HD.

Actually, it looks like Flinn may be doing classic hip-hop on the 96.3 translator. Sunny has indicated it is moving to 103.1.

Not sure where it will originate because WHBQ will still need the AM, and the signal contour is too far from 1240 to legally originate it. As far as I know, Flinn doesn't do HD.

I have been wondering where the feed will come from for 96.3 as well. The website for the station is http://boomin96.com/ I thought of replacing Radio Caliente WGSF 1030 AM or Solid Gospel WAVN 1240 AM. I also thought of replacing 96 X WIVG 96.1 or Radio Phantom WWWN 96.5. However I think it will feed off 1430 WOWW that used to feed 97.7 but now 97.7 is being fed by The Rebel.

Boomin 96 is now on the air replacing 96 X, the website is http://boomin96.com/ The 96.3 Translator is silent. I figured Flinn would use WOWW 1430 AM to feed 96.3 for this feed but I guess not.

So, why is this on 96.1, where it may cover DeSoto County, but doesn't do well north of Raines Road? the 96.3 translator would have gotten more coverage in the city.

boomin

One of the best of the classic hip hop stations I've heard so far. A fair balance of songs from early 80s thru 2000. Actually surprised at how much 80-84 tracks I'm hearing

Flinn has an LMA for 1430/97.7 and you can't remove 1430 from that as it feeds 97.7 which can't originate it's on programing.

96.3 can't translate 96.1 on it's own because it is not in the required contour for 96.1. The rules say it can't add additional coverage.

IMHO, Flinn should move 96.3 to the 300 foot tower at 6080. Then flip 1210 to simulcast 96.1. Translate 1210 on 96.3 and 103.1. That puts the signal in 3/4's of the city and might make it a serious flanker and an additional sales opportunity for the Hot 107 sales staff.

I do like the format so far and I hope it becomes less and less repetitious in time. The burn factor could be high on this format.

Well someone has tweaked the processing and 96.1 now sounds terrible. It's actually made the signal worse since now you have to try and eq some highs back in except that's not working very well since they are gone, missing, rolled off at about 10k or lower. I can't listen since all the audio equipment in the world can restore what they have done to it.

hopefully someone reads this and will put the omnia back on the former preset. I sounds like they may have even copied one from one of the other stations I also can't listen to in the 6080 building.

Omnia are great boxes and can sound really really good. Someone needs their hearing checked.

Some of us can hear all the way up the the 19k pilot hello??

Flinn has put HD on 107.5 and now has Boomin on the HD2 feeding 96.3.

They are also in a pickle with Radio One over the Boomin name and use.

Looks like it may change to Bumpin in the near future.

Processing on 105.3 in Oxford sounds good compared to 96.3 & 96.1. I guess now that I have pointed it out someone will use their fingers to ruin it too.

For now Boomin is on 96.1, 96.3 , 107.5 hd2, and 105.3 Oxford.

Update from RadioInsight:

On the heels of Cumulus’ “93.9 The Beat” WRWM-FM Indianapolis debuting as the most listened to station in the market during the January 2015 Nielsen Audio ratings, the company isn’t wasting time to expand the format to another market. Cumulus has registered 989TheBeat.com and OG989.com for “News/Talk 98.9” WKIM Munford/Memphis, TN. A flip to Classic Hip-Hop would place the station in direct competition with Flinn Broadcasting’s rimshot “Bumpin 96” 96.1 WIVG Tunica, MS/96.3 W242CF Memphis.

http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/netgnomes/92069/more-classic-hip-hop-for-memphis/

When did the flip happen? I was in Memphis this morning to take my exchange student to the airport and it sounded like they were still doing news talk at around 6 AM (or slightly before) but I didn't sty on it since I'm not a news talk fan.

It must have been midday

The processing is much cleaner on 98.9 the vocals do not distort. No harsh S's and it's not all muddy sounding. It's doesn't sound like and EQ set as sort of like an upside down smiley face reducing the overall bandwidth. Even the stereo image is terrible 96.1-96.3 sound almost MONO.

98.9 is missing a little thump in the low end that you would expect on a 80s-90s based hip hop station. You can tell its a digital orban processor. They should find a good 8100a get it recapped and warm up the music even more since that is probably how most of it was last played.

I will take the processing on 98.9 as it is now any day over what the processing on 96.1/96.3 sounds like.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom