• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

95.7 The Buzz ?

> This week, "957thebuzz.com" was registered (anonymously).
>
> Is Bonneville set to bring its GenX News format
> (http://www.bonnint.com/docs/FM_news_initiative.pdf) to SF?

Let's see...

* It's your first-ever post on this website.

* The "957thebuzz.com" was just registered (anonymously), and yet you happened upon it -- among millions of domain names that are registered each week.

* You were able to draw a Point A (new domain name) to Point B (Bonneville news initiative) scenario based on this ephemeral information.

I'd say that's a pretty great little piece of potentially buzzworthy stuff you tossed out there to stir things up a bit.

So ... who are you?

DJ<P ID="signature">______________
<center>

</center></P>

> > This week, "957thebuzz.com" was registered (anonymously).
> >
> > Is Bonneville set to bring its GenX News format
> > (http://www.bonnint.com/docs/FM_news_initiative.pdf) to
> SF?
>
>
> Let's see...
>
> * It's your first-ever post on this website.

Not quite. Employers and clients have connected me to a past screen name. I've contributed credible information here (and on other boards) in the past. (Moderator: I will not be registering a bunch of screen names, I just had to abandon an old one and move on. It shouldn't happen again.)

>
> * The "957thebuzz.com" was just registered (anonymously),
> and yet you happened upon it -- among millions of domain
> names that are registered each week.
>

Your point? A simple search of the registrar's public database, setting a few parameters, returns a very short list of newly-registered domains that start with "957" (this week, it returned exactly one). The whole process takes less time than it took to write this. I routinely check for newly-registered domains as part of my competitive marketing efforts. I was just passing along something (potentially) interesting that I turned up.

> * You were able to draw a Point A (new domain name) to Point
> B (Bonneville news initiative) scenario based on this
> ephemeral information.
>
> I'd say that's a pretty great little piece of potentially
> buzzworthy stuff you tossed out there to stir things up a
> bit.
>

I made no connection. I simply asked a question to see if someone else reading this board *might* have some information to share with which some connection *might* be made. If the answer is no, then the answer is no. I'm dubious, myself. If 95.7 The Buzz is in Kansas City or San Diego or wherever, then so be it.

> So ... who are you?

Sorry, my ability to participate further on this board requires complete anonymity. Not even a hint.

>
> DJ
>

> > This week, "957thebuzz.com" was registered (anonymously).
> >
> > Is Bonneville set to bring its GenX News format
> > (http://www.bonnint.com/docs/FM_news_initiative.pdf) to
> SF?
> >
>
> Latest trend had their numbers on the up. Not seeing what
> you suggest happening.
>

Per my response to BRDJ, I wasn't really suggesting anything, just trolling to see if anyone else might have a clue or two to offer.

I'm not sure they're ready to pull the plug, either. But, remember, The Bear was trending up at the end, too, and two of the last three times they flipped that station, it was done in the first half of May (which is fast approaching).

Moderator response (as a point of general information)

> (Moderator: I will not be
> registering a bunch of screen names, I just had to abandon
> an old one and move on. It shouldn't happen again.)

You can change your displayed screen name on your existing profile without creating a brand new account.

Just go to "My Account" then "Basic Profile" and put the desired screen name under "Fake username" in your profile data.<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

boatrocker replied:

> Employers and clients have connected me to a past screen name.

> ...I routinely check for newly-registered domains as part of my competitive marketing efforts.

> Sorry, my ability to participate further on this board requires complete anonymity. Not even a hint.

Sorry, but each of your posts so far have really lit up my onboard crap detector. Being in public relations and marketing myself, I know the power of seeding boards with stray information in order to create ... well, "buzz."

Let me just make sure that all of this is clear:

* Your (radio related?) employers and clients were dictating which screen name you used previously on this radio-related board.

* You check radio-related domain names as part of your "competitive marketing efforts." This led you to a domain name that may/may not be related to a fairly obscure Bonneville press release related to a news programming initiative. So you decided to sign on under a new handle to bring this quickly to everyone's attention.

* You can post on this board (under the apt "boatrocker" handle), yet you require *complete* anonymity -- "not even a hint."

Just for the sport of it, how about pointing out some of your previous posts on this board that contributed "credible information," as you called it.

DJ<P ID="signature">______________
<center>

</center></P>

Re: Moderator response (as a point of general information)

> > (Moderator: I will not be
> > registering a bunch of screen names, I just had to abandon
>
> > an old one and move on. It shouldn't happen again.)
>
> You can change your displayed screen name on your existing
> profile without creating a brand new account.
>
> Just go to "My Account" then "Basic Profile" and put the
> desired screen name under "Fake username" in your profile
> data.
>

I was under the impression that old posts would still be associated with the account despite the change. Viewing all my posts (with both the old and the new screen names in one list) would still connect that old name to the new one and ultimately back to me again, and I was trying to completely disassociate myself with that old screen name.

Sorry to create the extra account if that's not the case.

> boatrocker replied:
>
> > Employers and clients have connected me to a past screen
> name.
>
> > ...I routinely check for newly-registered domains as part
> of my competitive marketing efforts.
>
> > Sorry, my ability to participate further on this board
> requires complete anonymity. Not even a hint.
>
> Sorry, but each of your posts so far have really lit up my
> onboard crap detector. Being in public relations and
> marketing myself, I know the power of seeding boards with
> stray information in order to create ... well, "buzz."
>

I'm a firm believer in taking everything with a grain of salt and being at least a little suspicious of anything I read, especially online, but you're reading *way* too much into all this. With all due respect to you, all the folks at radio-info, and everyone else reading this, I'm not sure this is the first place I'd turn if I wanted to prime the pump with some planned leaks. There are at least a dozen calls I'd make first before trying to get anything off the ground by seeding here (note the outpouring of indifference to my original post). I like the "buzz" pun/callback, though. Nice.

> Let me just make sure that all of this is clear:
>
> * Your (radio related?) employers and clients were dictating
> which screen name you used previously on this radio-related
> board.
>

Wow, that is so totally *not* what I said. (Go back and read it again.) I had posted some (unbeknownst to me at the time) sensitive and privileged information, passed on to me by a colleague. He, his employer, and a mutual friend were a bit peeved about the leak, and there were further repercussions. His boss asked me point blank if I was the one that posted it. Rather than trying to weasel out of it, I confessed, begged for forgiveness and promised it wouldn't happen again. As a result, I thought it best to disassociate myself from that screen name (lest more stuff be tied back to me) and start fresh (and with a renewed policy of making sure anything that is passed on to me is OK to post.) And, yes, the employers and clients I'm refering to are broadcasters.

> * You check radio-related domain names as part of your
> "competitive marketing efforts."

Yeah, so? I make money by providing services. If I can get in the door first, I've got a huge advantage. Following up on newly-registered domains is one way of getting the jump on my competitors. Again, your point?

> This led you to a domain
> name that may/may not be related to a fairly obscure
> Bonneville press release related to a news programming
> initiative.

If by "fairly obscure" you mean "there's a link to it on their homepage," then, yeah, OK, I'll give you that one.

> So you decided to sign on under a new handle to
> bring this quickly to everyone's attention.

After sitting on it for a couple days, making calls, asking around, digging and digging and coming up empty, yeah, I thought I'd ask here to see if anybody had any clues they could offer to help us piece things together, whether it leads to a new station here or in some other market (or not at all). That doesn't seem all that odd to me. And, yes, I *did* feel a need to begin using a new screen name starting with this thread, for the reasons above. Sorry to confound the conspiracy-theorists, but there was no motive other than that.

> * You can post on this board (under the apt "boatrocker"
> handle), yet you require *complete* anonymity -- "not even a
> hint."
>

I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest here. There are no rules that require that I make my identity known to the community. To protect my livelihood, yes, it's all or nothing. Either I'm anonymous or I'm gone. And I now know that I have to be more careful about posting things that could be linked back to me.

And, honestly, I didn't even fully realize the irony of the new screen name until your first response. It was intended to reflect my attitude while I'm on the clock.

> Just for the sport of it, how about pointing out some of
> your previous posts on this board that contributed "credible
> information," as you called it.
>

Well, think about it. I'm trying to disassociate myself from that old screen name. By providing information about my previous posts, it'll be pretty easy to do a search and figure out what that old name was thereby linking the old name to the new one and, completely undoing what I'm trying to do.

Boatrocker,

Sorry to make a mountain range out of an ant hill (or whatever that old saying is) but, really, it was such a double-blind item that I had to call you on it.

If you were just throwing it out there because you thought it was an interesting possibility and you have no ulterior motive, I'm sorry for bearing down on you.

What I never said in all this is that -- if Bonneville does decide to roll this out here -- it isn't a bad idea at all.

DJ

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom