• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

933 what is the problem?

Sorry but outside of nyc, you put a chr on and play the top 20 hits and you have a station that gets at least a 3 share overall and top 5 women 18 to 34.

So what is the problem with this 933? I know that for the most part Cumulus doesn't do chr properly but still the numbers should be better than the 1 something they get now.

I get to hear wplj everday and it is horrible, the ratings reflect this mess of a station, but in Dallas I would think that playing the top 20 chr hits no matter how bad the rest of the station is would get you much much better than where this station is at, so please let me know why, thanks.

I'd say it's a combination of two things:
1) Kiss is probably the most dominant CHR in the nation. It definitely helps when KDMX helps to protect them from the more "adult" friendly presentation that Cumulus aims for. Flanking KHKS with KDMX forms a nice wall for Clear Channel and so far Cumulus has not been able to put much of a dent in it.
2) Cumulus has a crappy (my opinion) CHR brand that doesn't fare well against heritage competition anywhere. Just look at how badly they're getting pummeled in DC by WIHT.

93.3, licensed to Haltom City, TX is an old 80/90 drop in from the early 90's. It's limited traditionally to 50KW at 500' and can't move to to Cedar Hill due to short spacing with the Austin market 93.3 (which was originally licensed to Killeen).
It's got a CP to move from their tower just west of Loop 12 and North of I-30 in West Dallas to the top of the "gumby building" in Downtown Dallas (that bank/office building outlined in green LED's, tallest building in the CBD). They'll get a nice boost in height but a reduction in ERP. Given their engineering heritage they are really not a full market signal.

But obviously when you're up against KISS/KDMX/perhaps KVIL and the potent yet softer KLTY it's tough. But their quarter hours aren't all that bad and if it wasn't making money it would be history by now.

Those radio locator maps are not always accurate but it looks like they have full market coverage, 50kw at any height is always good enough when the stick is in the market itself, is it not?

They are under a 2 share 6+ so it doesn't seem possible that they could have decent in demo numbers, by the looks of their playlist it would be fine for a smaller market or a heritage station but to go against kiss in DFW they need to stand out, still it is not all that bad, the numbers should be better.

50kw at any height is always good enough when the stick is in the market itself, is it not?

Not when you're up against 100kw signals on 2000' sticks. Lots of real estate to cover in DFW. Also being "in market" at a lower height can add to multipath problems depending on receiver location.

Not when you're up against 100kw signals on 2000' sticks. Lots of real estate to cover in DFW. Also being "in market" at a lower height can add to multipath problems depending on receiver location.

Multipath is being on a 1500ft stick (they are NOT 2000ft) 20miles SE of your daytime audience which has a lot of tall metal buildings around it (can we say reflections?)....when we had to run less power at CH due to antenna work, etc, multipath was reduced to nothing in the Canyon (been there, saw it)..93.3s signal is not in dowtown so it has good building penetration in downtown Dallas..it moving to downtown is a mistake in my book..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom