• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.9 the drive

Wonder what the format will be.

Rumor is that it will be a poppier format, not sure if that means AC or a return to classic hits, though. New format expected to launch the day after Labor Day. Not sure what time.

92.9 has had the KBEZ calls since either August or September of 1977.

Yes, since it was purchased from S. Carl Mark and the calls changed from KAKC-FM and the format changed to ‘beautiful music’ at the time.

Yes, indeed. We were talking about that on a Tulsa group on Facebook.

The staff thought KAKC should put the top-40 format on 92.9 full-time, but the beautiful music operator was waving money at Carl Mark. Plus, he was in his early-to-mid 60’s in 1977 and was probably already thinking retirement. Considering he sold the AM around 1980, he was probably just looking to cash out.

Would've been nice if he could’ve found better buyers, but I can’t blame him for taking the money. Merrill Lynch backed the beautiful music group. So, there was no question he'd get paid in full. That money and Salem's would spend just as well as anyone else's!

So is it just a format refresh with more pop than just classic rock hits? I think they would have a better chance trying to compete with mix 96 with an adult ac format

I listened to it today driving into Tulsa and it sounds the same to me music wise, but they refer to the KRQV call letters several times an hour and I don’t ever remember that being done when it was KBEZ.

Back
Top Bottom