• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

830 WUMY

830 has been transmitting a buzz for several days.

I guess it's not legal since there is no legal ID and the translator has been left on for the entire time. I think they have to turn it off within 24 hrs or something like that. I bet DE knows the rule better than I do.

If it's still that way today I will give someone a call. Maybe they don't monitor off the air or even check to make sure they are still on.

Isn't this what silence sensors are for??

Michael said:
830 has been transmitting a buzz for several days.

I guess it's not legal since there is no legal ID and the translator has been left on for the entire time. I think they have to turn it off within 24 hrs or something like that. I bet DE knows the rule better than I do.

If it's still that way today I will give someone a call. Maybe they don't monitor off the air or even check to make sure they are still on.

Isn't this what silence sensors are for??

The rule is that a translator relaying a daytime-only AM station is allowed to operate at night if the AM station has operated in the last 24 hours.

The FCC has ruled that a legal ID is not required if a station is airing dead air. (?!, doesn't make much sense to me but that's what they ruled) So if a buzz without programming is regarded as dead air, then it's not illegal to not run an ID -- but then the AM station was off the air for more than 24 hours and the translator needed to be shut off.

Or... if a buzz without programming is *not* dead air... then the AM has been on the air & the translator could legally remain... but then, they were required to ID...

Either way I wouldn't be holding my breath for a FCC visit.

I guess that makes it easy to identify which station leaves their TX on all night with a carrier. (sarcasm)

Still out of phase today. It is a really good sounding AM when everything is right with it.

It was back in phase yesterday but the audio is not as good as it was in the past. I hear allot more distortion that originally.

It was really nice to listen on an SDR with the bandwidth set to 16 or 20 khz wide. 1030 usually sounds great and is very wide I just don't know what's going on there most of the time. It's a shame 1070 is still as wide as a pencil. It sounds terrible for an AM music station. I-buzz is gone so why not let it back out a little.

Michael said:
It was back in phase yesterday but the audio is not as good as it was in the past. I hear allot more distortion that originally.

It was really nice to listen on an SDR with the bandwidth set to 16 or 20 khz wide. 1030 usually sounds great and is very wide I just don't know what's going on there most of the time. It's a shame 1070 is still as wide as a pencil. It sounds terrible for an AM music station. I-buzz is gone so why not let it back out a little.

Has WDIA discontinued IBOC/"hd radio"? KARN (AM) 920 did sometime last year but the narrow, choked analog audio remains. To me, WLS (in the 1980's) and present-day WSM are the gold-standards in AM radio audio (A MI AM Stereo station http://www.i1430.com/ claims to feed its actual OTA audio online, but I've never heard it OTA with an actual radio)

thatonegirl - It seems to change day by day. I have notice that is common with feeding stations over the internet. Yeah 830 sounded great until it went out of phase for about a week. When that was resolved the tinny distorted audio was left behind.

Most of the time 105.5 seems to sound good but sometimes it does have a very raspy digital sound. When it sounds good it sounds better than most of the other stations on the dial. I do enjoy a little more bottom end on a country format that it has but it sounds decent. 97.7 is the same... It is good when the codecs are working right.

Fritz I have not heard IBUZZ in a while here on both 600 or 1070 but both are still broadcasting sharp and narrow signals. I can try to grab a screen capture if there is interest in seeing it.

I've not heard the FM txltrs for 830 (not having been to Memphis since 2006), but the raspy, watery digital sound could either be poor quality audio files for the music or a bandwidth starved internet feed and/or studio-transmitter link to backhaul to the translator sites perhaps.

Over in Little Rock, the community radio station (KABF 88.3) often airs music shows by volunteer hosts and some of it sounds straight off of 128kbit (or lower) mp3 files. As if the music has no dynamic range (compared to vinyl/carts played on-air during the 80's).

It's more of how they are feeding the translator. It actually changes by the hour but not by song. It goes from raspy horrible digital sounding to excellent at times. When it is good it sounds better than nearly all the stations across the dial here. That is the case for both translators. They sound very good when nothing is wrong with the feed to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom