• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

8100A with XT

Rebuilding an 8100A/1 with an XT chassis. this unit has the LED VU metering.

On the 8100 the "limiting" meter does not seem to work, that is, does not show anything.
I have a vague memory of seeing this before on a similar unit with the XT but using the older style vertical mechanical metering.

Is this meter function disconnected with the addition of the XT chassis? Or should I start digging into the circuit to see what is wrong?

The 8100a limiting meter is still connected.
As card 5 master timing is in xt2 mode (attack slowed down to approx 10ms), the limiting meter circuitry is in effect insensitive to the "averaging mode" control voltage on the o/p of the master module.

I see that now--responds occasionally to some songs (piping the left & right out of an Omnia into the unit while it's on the bench). Billy Joel tune with heavy percussion gets some response.

Stereo separation looks good so this one is back to be E-bay'ed. The other, older one has had the cards done, need to replace the filter caps & check it out on the Inovonics mod monitor. That one has the LED meters on the XT chassis but mechanical meters on the 8100.

Try Timmy Thomas "Why Can't We Live Together" if you wanna make the 8100 limiter meter go nuts in almost any config.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom