• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gotta love the rumors! Moses (owner of AM 740) plans to buy Sun TV, fine tune it (hint: be less right wing) and repeat the channel on AM 740.

I'm not sure how true any of this is, except for the fact that Moses is serious about buying Sun TV. (and if he does he will not support a right wing news format)
If all comes true, I hope Moses took notes from CP24 radio! lol

Talks to buy Sun TV: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...alks-to-buy-sun-news-network/article22034115/

Sun TV ended up going dark. (shut down, thank god!)
Moses chose to buy Vision TV instead.
Vision WAS a very religious TV station.
While still generally religious, gradually, that TV station is shifting from religious to being more of a classic television format.

Back to the radio side, it's 2020. This thread started in 2014, and they're STILL playing music. (for most of the AM 740 format)

I love Zoomer, I pick it up clearly in Atlanta, even with blowtorch WSB 750 near me...
Zoomer is operating as a stand alone station, not a national playlist/cookie cutter radio structure.
This may be why they are so well liked everywhere.
(...there's also 35-40% Canadian music content, as required by CRTC, if that matters any, lol)

Thank you Mario. And while 740 has aired talk shows...they only air during times of low listening. The station takes advantage of it's huge nighttime signal and has been tweaking the music over the past year. The station's original audience has all but died off, and they've been updating the music to keep people tuned in. Keep in mind that AM was a source of music in Canada well into the 90's. The younger end of the demo (35 plus) did grow up with music on AM...I should know. I'm 39, and I grew up with top forty AM radio. The station does well in the ratings and is not the only AM music station doing well in Canada...check out ratings for CFCW or CKRM. There are a lot of FM's that would kill for the ratings those two get...and there are a lot of FM's that would kill for 740's cume.
These are very important points, however, the possible concern is that Moses Znaimer (owner of AM 740) is now 79 years old.
What would happen if he were to pass away? Would a new owner maintain music? Or go in a new direction with talk? Or apply for a multicultural licence maybe? (for that to happen, AM 530 & Others might cry foul because THEY would love a stronger signal)

Hopefully when the time comes for Moses to pass away the station will operate business as usual. It's a unique sound that no one else is offering.

Reactions: drt
740 is a fantastic radio station. We’re running out of opportunities to hear music on the AM dial in this day and age, particularly on powerhouse signals like 740. I hope the music will continue for a while. I’ve always been impressed by the stations in the Toronto market. CHBM is probably my favourite. I’m not in the market but I listen to them pretty much every day. It’s a great example of how classic hits should be done.

740 is a fantastic radio station. We’re running out of opportunities to hear music on the AM dial in this day and age, particularly on powerhouse signals like 740. I hope the music will continue for a while. I’ve always been impressed by the stations in the Toronto market. CHBM is probably my favourite. I’m not in the market but I listen to them pretty much every day. It’s a great example of how classic hits should be done.
Just a note to add: AM 740 in Downtown Toronto can also be heard on 96.7 FM. A music format is in their best interest now that people in Toronto have choices. AM, FM or streaming the station.
ALSO: AM 740 is now available @ 96.3 FM HD2

Last edited:
*BUMP* This is a bump because the CRTC has just changed the rules about how many AM or FM stations one company can own in a market.
The max is still 4 but now it can be 3 FM and only ONE AM...or 3 am and one FM (not likely, lol)
Or just leave things the way they are with two AM and two FM in Canada.

Long story short, Moses is getting up there, so one has to wonder if a sale is imminent with these changes.
What will happen now?

CFZM 740 (Zoomer Radio) was a great station to DX from here at night until they changed the call letters to CFZM and became "Zoomer"and went from 40s and 50s music to what they play today, not the same station when they were CHWO.

CFZM 740 (Zoomer Radio) was a great station to DX from here at night until they changed the call letters to CFZM and became "Zoomer"and went from 40s and 50s music to what they play today, not the same station when they were CHWO.
I can understand dropping the 40's, but it would be nice to tune into a Saturday night sock hop or something...

how long will Moses likely keep music on am740 ?
Hopefully he won't sell. A lot has changed since this thread originally started.
Instead of two AM and TWO FM, it's still a 4 station max, but CRTC is now allowing 3 FM and one AM
The 96.7 FM repeater has very high value on a very crowded Toronto radio dial...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom