• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

740 back on the air :)

How can 740 be back on the air, when 740 is one of the last "Clear Channel Frequencies" from Toronto (Zoomer Radio). A station in which I love and listen to almost nightly here in North Carolina?

Well, it's a matter of personal taste or opinion of course, but many would find CBC programming somewhat better than what's to be found on run-of-the-mill commercial radio...
But 740 is a privately owned sort of nostalgia / oldies format... not CBC.

Well, it's a matter of personal taste or opinion of course, but many would find CBC programming somewhat better than what's to be found on run-of-the-mill commercial radio...
CBC programming is undoubtedly first-rate, but Zoomer is hardly a run-of-the-mill commercial radio station. Owned by Moses Znaimer of CHUM-CityTV fame, creator of Canada's MuchMusic and now head of Zoomer Media, Znaimer actually got his start at the CBC and has carried those high standards with him throughout his career.

Zoomer Radio is a very well programmed station aimed at the 55+ demo no one else seems to want. Znaimer created his own advertising agency to market his radio, TV and print media properties. AM 740 out of Toronto is an interesting listen.

As for 740 Philly... no comment.

There's also WJIB on 740 kHz in the Boston area, licensed to transmit 5 watts at night, because apparently skywaves don't cross international borders.

Up on Long Island in the 60's, that same omni referenced daytimer from Chester PA, WVCH, was audible via some water path reception under Lawn Guyland's WGSM -- another omni daytimer. WVCH was there. Middays. Every day.
Long Island's WGSM 740 kept raising their power and kept going more directional step-by-step, up to 25,000 watts last I saw. But the new towers weren't sending any wattage much more than zilch in Chester's direction. In fact, even with 25000 watts, the Huntington Long Island station formerly known as WGSM sends nothing more than a raspy, cannibalistic southwest RF-signal implosion that way. And at night in Oyster Bay -- some 8 mere miles northwest of WNYH's four sticks -- WNYH Huntington and its 38 licensed watts is a groundwave grumble under Toronto's Zoomer.
I presume WVCH/WJFP had signed on first of the two?

CBC programming is undoubtedly first-rate, but Zoomer is hardly a run-of-the-mill commercial radio station. Owned by Moses Znaimer of CHUM-CityTV fame, creator of Canada's MuchMusic and now head of Zoomer Media, Znaimer actually got his start at the CBC and has carried those high standards with him throughout his career.

Zoomer Radio is a very well programmed station aimed at the 55+ demo no one else seems to want. Znaimer created his own advertising agency to market his radio, TV and print media properties. AM 740 out of Toronto is an interesting listen.

As for 740 Philly... no comment.
My apologies to Zoomer fans. My comments were not about whatever is now on 740 Toronto, as I have not yet heard it. I was only comparing CBC programming to typical AM commercial radio which is frequently rather mundane .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom