• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

60th anniversary of Kennedy assassination

I'm 72, so I was 12 when the JFK assassination happened, and reading through this thread brings back those memories like it was yesterday. The only way you ever forget an event like this is through death or dementia.

I think it helps to recall what didn't exist back in 1963. There were no satellite trucks. No satellite communications at all. No fiber optics. No cable TV, much less 24x7 cable news operations. Coaxial cable was limited to Ma Bell -- there were no domestic competitors to the incumbent telephone companies, most of whom were owned by the original AT&T, which also owned and controlled the long distance network -- and the television industry. Except maybe for hams and engineers, nobody had coax in their homes. What anyone saw on TV was a handful of fuzzy, low definition channels, all of which came over the air to a rooftop or set-top antenna, and through to a CRT television set, the vast majority of which were still black & white.

There was no ENG. Reporters and correspondents communicated via pay phones or two-way radios with their newsrooms. That wasn't an option for network people, and analog mobile phones were few and very pricey, so they needed to beg, borrow or steal a phone line, or call collect. Long distance on a pay phone could be dollars per minute (in 1963 dollars). Cell phones were decades in the future.

Radio meant AM in most places. FM existed, but it was largely simulcasting the co-owned AM in the market. FM's total market share was in the single digits in most places. But every station still had a news commitment, so every station ran newscasts somewhere in their schedules.

Videotape was new, and definitely not portable. (Even "portable" audio tape recorders were reel-to-reel jobs that weighed a couple dozen pounds.) News reports were still filmed, and the film needed to get run through a processing lab at the station or the network before it could be edited, much less aired. The assassination broke that rule, in that "raw" film was being rushed to air still warm from the lab that weekend. (A friend's dad was a film processing technician for CBS, so I heard a bit of this from the horse's mouth, so to speak.) Film that was processed in Dallas had to then be backhauled up to New York or Washington before the networks could air it.

@secondchoice mentioned that the tube TV cameras in the newsroom were cold when the first wire service reports of the shooting hit the network newsrooms, and the tubes needed to warm up before they could be used. CBS threw a "Special Report" or "News Bulletin" (or something similar) slide onto the video feed as soon as Master Control switched to them -- soap operas ran in those time slots -- and Cronkite, who was quite used to radio, treated the situation as radio coverage until the video could catch up to him. It might have been America's first experience with "cinema verité" in real time. Keep in mind that the networks were live for something like 52 hours straight, until the funeral finally wrapped up on 11/25 and the network threw it back to their local affiliates. And that Thanksgiving was only three days away, and for most people an atypically somber one.

Of course the network stations had coverage but what did the independent stations do? There were not a lot of them at the time but WGN tv was on the air at that time. Mom and Dad kept the TV on Channel 2 (CBS O & O Chicago) or the NBC O &O (channel 5?) so I don't know (or even thought to check out) what the other TV stations and radio stations were doing. I did "see" Oswald get shot. I don't remember if it was live or raw film. It was relatively early because I was the only one awake. I did help Mom with her "scrapbook" of the Sun Times and Tribune and the afternoon newspapers (I forget the names but I think one was call The American) of all the articles.

Better add another 8 ro 10 years as I don't think ANYONE has any REAL memory of the JFK Assassination unless they were born in or before 1950

I use ny own life experience as an example. I was born in 1966. While I remember Nixon's resignation, I have NO memory of Watergate itself. All I knew is that it was a bunch of politicians holding hearings every day like what you see now. I had NO idea what it was about (Nor did I care because I was just an 8 year old kid)

The first such memory I had went as fast as it came. That was the assassination attempt of President Reagan in 1981. I was about 14 years old then & heard some buzz about it as school was letting out for the day. I was on the school bus & one of the school attendants came out to tell the driver something. Thinking nothing of it, I shrugged it off as that - Nothing

Then a soft buzz was going around the bus that Reagan had possibly been shot (Something both ABC & CNN (Perhaps wisely) went to GREAT LENGTHS to try to avoid reporting as fact even though things weren't adding up)

When I got home, my Dad (A Disabled veteran unable to work) had ABC (KUSA 9) on the TV & for the rest of that night, we all sat & watched Frank Reynolds & Ted Koppel report the story

My next memorable event was the Challenger disaster (Which I've already gone into elsewhere)
I have very clear memories of the JFK assassination and I was 7 years old at the time

I'm 72, so I was 12 when the JFK assassination happened, and reading through this thread brings back those memories like it was yesterday. The only way you ever forget an event like this is through death or dementia.

I think it helps to recall what didn't exist back in 1963. There were no satellite trucks. No satellite communications at all. No fiber optics. No cable TV, much less 24x7 cable news operations. Coaxial cable was limited to Ma Bell -- there were no domestic competitors to the incumbent telephone companies, most of whom were owned by the original AT&T, which also owned and controlled the long distance network -- and the television industry. Except maybe for hams and engineers, nobody had coax in their homes. What anyone saw on TV was a handful of fuzzy, low definition channels, all of which came over the air to a rooftop or set-top antenna, and through to a CRT television set, the vast majority of which were still black & white.

There was no ENG. Reporters and correspondents communicated via pay phones or two-way radios with their newsrooms. That wasn't an option for network people, and analog mobile phones were few and very pricey, so they needed to beg, borrow or steal a phone line, or call collect. Long distance on a pay phone could be dollars per minute (in 1963 dollars). Cell phones were decades in the future.

Radio meant AM in most places. FM existed, but it was largely simulcasting the co-owned AM in the market. FM's total market share was in the single digits in most places. But every station still had a news commitment, so every station ran newscasts somewhere in their schedules.

Videotape was new, and definitely not portable. (Even "portable" audio tape recorders were reel-to-reel jobs that weighed a couple dozen pounds.) News reports were still filmed, and the film needed to get run through a processing lab at the station or the network before it could be edited, much less aired. The assassination broke that rule, in that "raw" film was being rushed to air still warm from the lab that weekend. (A friend's dad was a film processing technician for CBS, so I heard a bit of this from the horse's mouth, so to speak.) Film that was processed in Dallas had to then be backhauled up to New York or Washington before the networks could air it.

@secondchoice mentioned that the tube TV cameras in the newsroom were cold when the first wire service reports of the shooting hit the network newsrooms, and the tubes needed to warm up before they could be used. CBS threw a "Special Report" or "News Bulletin" (or something similar) slide onto the video feed as soon as Master Control switched to them -- soap operas ran in those time slots -- and Cronkite, who was quite used to radio, treated the situation as radio coverage until the video could catch up to him. It might have been America's first experience with "cinema verité" in real time. Keep in mind that the networks were live for something like 52 hours straight, until the funeral finally wrapped up on 11/25 and the network threw it back to their local affiliates. And that Thanksgiving was only three days away, and for most people an atypically somber one.
Many Los Angeles area FM stations went off the air on Friday afternoon according to my own memory of tuning around.

What were they?? Do share. That's what the thread is all about :D
My memories would take too long and be way off topic for a discussion board called Radio Discussions. As I have already posted, I recall several radio stations going off the air completely that afternoon, I assume because they did not have appropriate programming to broadcast. Those that were still on in the Los Angeles area either went to all-news or appropriate light music or classical music. No one played Top40 or country that afternoon. The rest of my time that weekend was spent watching tv with my parents, mostly CBS and NBC

I recall that many radio stations chose to rebroadcast the audio from local network TV affiliates.
I don't recall any station going off the air, but some probably did.

KIMN 95 was an affiliate of the Mutual Broadcasting System though I'm sure they picked up KLIF on the sly however

And I can't see either network using their Smart TV apps either unless they add a special section for Breaking News & other events like their affiliates & O&O's have on their Smart TV apps so those are out as well
For the 50th, CBS streamed all of their assassination coverage from Walter interrupting "As the World Turns" to the funeral. iHeart ran the WBAP radio coverage, (including JFK's last speech). You can hear the back-and-forth switch between 820 and 570 if you listen to the YouTube version). David Von Pein's YouTube channel, which archives hours and hours of radio and TV coverage, is a place you can get lost for days.

As for me, the event happened the day before my 7th birthday and frankly, I don't remember that much. School would have been in session but I have no idea if it was announced, we were hurried out the door, or things went on as susal (doubtful). I remember seeing the funeral. By contrast, I have vivid memories of my Grandpa passing when I was 4.

Of course the network stations had coverage but what did the independent stations do? There were not a lot of them at the time but WGN tv was on the air at that time. Mom and Dad kept the TV on Channel 2 (CBS O & O Chicago) or the NBC O &O (channel 5?) so I don't know (or even thought to check out) what the other TV stations and radio stations were doing. I did "see" Oswald get shot. I don't remember if it was live or raw film. It was relatively early because I was the only one awake. I did help Mom with her "scrapbook" of the Sun Times and Tribune and the afternoon newspapers (I forget the names but I think one was call The American) of all the articles.
From watching archived CBS coverage, they missed the actual shooting of Oswald, but picked up right after.

I recall that many radio stations chose to rebroadcast the audio from local network TV affiliates.
I couldn't tell you anything about my own area, though we probably had WOWO on. For an example of one top 40 station, check out the KLIF aircheck on YouTube. McClendon was doing some of the coverage himself.

NBC Radio broadcast their network tv audio from time to time according to surviving recordings.
Independent TV station KCOP Los Angeles went off the air on Friday afternoon and evening but was back on the next day with programming from ABC, I think.

I couldn't tell you anything about my own area, though we probably had WOWO on. For an example of one top 40 station, check out the KLIF aircheck on YouTube. McClendon was doing some of the coverage himself.
Stations from around the country carried the KLIF coverage. The stations paid DFW residents to put the phone receiver next to a radio tuned to KLIF

Scott, don't make me any older than I already am! I remember being ushered into the school library to watch the TV and the NBC coverage on our local station (KOMU). I also remember all the adults in my life being as upset as I had ever seen them.

Probably more relevant to any coverage there would be in November is the general fragmentation of outlets. Personally, I hope someone runs the NBC coverage as it happened. A&E did this in 1993, as I recall. It definitely retriggered some memories.
A&E aired the original coverage back in 1988. In 1993, PBS aired its version of the original coverage (with a few extra scenes that the A&E version did not include, including some segments in color during the evening hours)

Better add another 8 ro 10 years as I don't think ANYONE has any REAL memory of the JFK Assassination unless they were born in or before 1950
It's clearly an individual thing and I surmise it also relates to the event. I have a distinct memory from age 4 of specifically where I was within our home, including which direction I was moving on a stairway, and exactly what was said. The question I asked my mother (I asked her what year it was) nails my age at the time nearly exactly.

I remember my walking into the school on the first day of kindergarten. I have flash images of the classroom there.

That said, I might have to look at credit card receipts to tell you what I had for lunch yesterday. I have had many friends spur a memory of a long passed event together that I've entirely forgotten. A day in June 1975 was probably one the most significant and happy days of my life, and I even though I was legally an adult I have very, very little memory of the specifics. Just a couple flash images.

As for Kennedy's assassination, I remember precisely where I was seated in a classroom, who brought the announcement to the teacher and what he was wearing, and the teacher's initial announcement to us. I remember watching Jack Ruby shoot Oswald, and remember remarking to my parents that he did that so Oswald could not be made to talk about details (wow...the beginning of an investigator!). I remember watching the funeral procession on TV.

I was not quite 7 years old. Yet, a mere 11 months earlier, the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred, and I don't have any recollection of it.

We know very little about how all this works.

Back
Top Bottom