• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

55+ crowd and smartphones...some good news for this format?

Came across an interesting article about smartphone growth amongst those 55+. Now, I know many, to include myself, have stressed the importance of recruiting a younger audience as we move forward. That said, I nonetheless believe it is encouraging about the growth of smartphone use amongst the 55+ crowd, particularly for this format. It means those who have long been reluctant to embrace new technology are embracing it more and more, and this is a good sign for those Internet broadcasters looking to reach out to the older demo who love this music and terrestrial radio has long ignored and underserved.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/surprise-over-55-crowd-adopting-smartphones-fastest/

The 55+ demo is approximately the top half or so of baby boomers...and that's a LOT of humans.

Myself...I don't own a smartphone. I think it'd be cool...but, I can't get past having to pay an extra $30-50/month just to listen to different radio stations...and having to run patch cords into my car radio, put on headphones, or patch into a computer.

I have a few thousand songs on my MP3 player...I continue to add to it, and while that's not like radio/streaming stations....it's far cheaper, and a lot, lot more convenient.

Tim said:
The 55+ demo is approximately the top half or so of baby boomers...and that's a LOT of humans.

Myself...I don't own a smartphone. I think it'd be cool...but, I can't get past having to pay an extra $30-50/month just to listen to different radio stations...and having to run patch cords into my car radio, put on headphones, or patch into a computer.

I have a few thousand songs on my MP3 player...I continue to add to it, and while that's not like radio/streaming stations....it's far cheaper, and a lot, lot more convenient.

Android smartphones and plans are getting cheaper by the day. Currently, I pay $40 a month for a plan that includes 1200 minutes and unlimited texting (all smartphone plans have unlimited text) and data usage (which is highly recommended for people that listen to streaming services). You don't have to pay through the nose for an iPhone plan.

I listen to a lot of streaming radio in the car and at home, and quite enjoy it.

The cables can be somewhat of a hassle but I have a cassette deck in my car, and use an adapter for it. Works the same way as plugging in an mp3 player.

In addition, the apps are becoming easier to use. Pandora is pretty simple, as is IHeartRadio. TuneIn can be a bit more complicated for technophobes, but its still a great app.

one thing we have to remember about todays 55+ person is they are not like previous generations of this demographic and their musical history is remarkably different from previous generations because this is the first 55+ group to be post-Beatles/progressive rock. a 55+ in 2012 does not have the same inclinations as a 55+ in 1992. Previous generations eased into easy listening as they got older. Previous generations grew up with more conventional music to start with. On the other hand when I was in my "formative years" listening to The Allmans, Hendrix, Led Zep, Traffic, etc other girls in my dorm were listening to the Carpenters and Neil Diamond. Another reason why you can't pigeonhole a "generation." And why a variety of approaches is the best way to go.

On a slightly, but associated, different topic.....I was reading today about vehicles which are more popular with "seniors" (whom I assume to be 55+ although the article didn't say specifically). Seems overwhelmingly that the most popular cars among the geezer set are high dollar sedans such as the Lincoln MKZ and various Caddy models.

This goes to what I've been saying for some time....that is, the current batch of seniors (myself included) are relatively well-off and tend to spend their bucks. An advertiser who doesn't acknowledge this is going to be missing potential business.

A footnote.....we are perhaps the last generation which will be this well off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom