• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

530 AM Spanish?

M

mikebatchelor

Can anyone help me ID this station: About 10PM, it seems to be booming here into Northeastern MO during a thunderstorm. Format sounds like spanish pop music, and mentions of both The Dominican Republic (La Republica Dominicana), and of New Jersey, for some reason. Any ideas?

> Can anyone help me ID this station: About 10PM, it seems to
> be booming here into Northeastern MO during a thunderstorm.
> Format sounds like spanish pop music, and mentions of both
> The Dominican Republic (La Republica Dominicana), and of New
> Jersey, for some reason. Any ideas?
>
That would be the Turks & Caicos at 530: Radio Visión Cristiana Internacional. It's a frequent catch across much of the U.S. Here's their network, according to their website...

• WWRV 1330 AM, NY

• WVIP 1310 AM, Mount Kisco NY

• 530 AM, Caribe e Islas Caicos

• 1330 AM, Sto. Domingo RD

• 660 AM, Santiago RD

• 1330 AM, Cuenca Ecuador

• 1330 AM, Quito Ecuador.

> Can anyone help me ID this station: About 10PM, it seems to
> be booming here into Northeastern MO during a thunderstorm.
> Format sounds like spanish pop music, and mentions of both
> The Dominican Republic (La Republica Dominicana), and of New
> Jersey, for some reason. Any ideas?
>
I get that one a lot. WAY up here in Wisconsin. The Turks and Caicos people down there definately put out a lot of signal.

Same goes for Radio Reloj.<P ID="signature">______________

AIM: JeremyA1069</P>

Thanks for the info...I would imagine that they must be putting out 50+ kW to get their signal to go as far as it does.

> >
> How much power does 530 put out? It comes in good in
> Mississippi.
>

using a nautel 50kw unit, they run 40kw into a 485 foot tall tower..

> using a nautel 50kw unit, they run 40kw into a 485 foot tall
> tower..

Perfect quarter-wave, and no USA stations on 530 to stop them! :)

By the way, does it help if a fairly significant proportion of their propagation path is over water? I've seen Radio-Locator maps on coastal 50-kw AMs (most notably WABC), and the contours branch out so sharply over the ocean that I can't even begin to extrapolate where the 0.5 and 0.15 finally land. (It actually looks as if the 0.15 has a good chance of making it to Reykjavik on the Long Island Sound lobe, and the Canary Islands on the straight-out southeastern one!) In light of this, I'm wondering whether theory (these calculations, as presumably based upon a higher ground conductivity coefficient for salt water) matches reality - any stories of such insane things happening in the real world?

> any stories of such insane things
> happening in the real world?

I had a fairly decent radio with me on a trip to Hawaii - stuff came in from all over the west coast when there was a nighttime coverage between both. Nothing daytime. I had the same radio in the Carribean and the 730 from Caraccas VZ went for hundreds of miles daytime. No idea what their power was, I assumed a million but I don't know.

When I had an old Radio Shack tuned RF AM radio on the beach in Galveston, TX 25 years ago - WNOE New Orleans sounded like a local. WWL was, too, but I wasn't itnerested. WLS, surprisingly, started coming in well below local sunset.

In Daytona Beach Shores, FL, I had a Superadio 2, and had all the 50kW stations from the Eastern seaboard daytime. Same on the car radio. Come over the bridge, in they came. Some midwestern, too. Absolutely dependable no matter the time of year.

> I had
> the same radio in the Carribean and the 730 from Caraccas VZ
> went for hundreds of miles daytime. No idea what their
> power was, I assumed a million but I don't know.

RCR on 750 is 100 kw. That is the highezt power being currently run anywhere in South America except for one Brazilian station. Radio Raracas Radio is very easy t hear daytime on the south coast of Puerto Rico, where about 40 Venezuelans from 10 kw to others at 100 kw are audible.

Turning the antenna to the west, some two dozen 1 kw to 10 kw Dominican republic stations come in. Since there are so few hihg power stations in the Lesser Antilles, there is not much to the East or Southeast... Antigua on 1100 (when running) being the best, and occasional signs of Trinidad on 610 and 730 are possible.

It may have been a 750 - it was on an analog radio and it was 30 years ago. But that was a fantastic signal on a cruise ship - I heard it all over the Carribean daytime. It must give WSB fits towards the South if they run that power at night.

> It may have been a 750 - it was on an analog radio and it
> was 30 years ago. But that was a fantastic signal on a
> cruise ship - I heard it all over the Carribean daytime. It
> must give WSB fits towards the South if they run that power
> at night.

The couple times I've tried 750 when I've been in Florida and along the Gulf Coast, WSB has been clobbered by Venezuela. There were times when I was in the Florida panhandle in the summer of '04 that I couldn't hear WSB at all over the other station.

> It may have been a 750 - it was on an analog radio and it
> was 30 years ago. But that was a fantastic signal on a
> cruise ship - I heard it all over the Carribean daytime. It
> must give WSB fits towards the South if they run that power
> at night.

In South America, no stations reduce power at night except in the "Souther Cone" of Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. The rest are uniformly same power day and night, and only a few are directional (directionals are intentional to tailor coverage in every case, not to protect).

The 750 Venezuelan is widely heard in the US... maybe the easist Venezuelan. It is listenable daytime even on the south coast of Puerto Rico, 600 miles away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom