• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1134 Croatia: my 1st trans atlantic!

Tincap said:
radioman148 said:
stormy01 said:
kilokat7 said:
I've been messing around with Google Earth (the program, not Google Maps) and noticed that you can draw lines between points on the globe (think receiver location to transmitter location). The resultant line can then be analyzed for distance, bearing, etc. Useful data for DXers.

Thanks for the tip, kilokat7. Google Earth works great. So Zadar is approximately 4950 miles at 47° I see that Syria and Egypt are 'only' about another 1000 miles further.

I don't know about you guys, but my TA reception isn't as good tonight although I am getting the het on 837.

1215 was giving me some het, but 855 was quiter than the previous night. Will try again this evening!

~BG

Yeah, I wasn't hearing much last night either.

radioman148 said:
Yeah, I wasn't hearing much last night either.

TA reception was definitely less than it has been the previous 4 nights or so. I also heard a het on 648 a few nights ago (presumed UK)
So far 1134 is the the only positive ID...567, 603, 648, 747, 657, 693, 747, 837, 873, 1053, 1107, 1215, 1269, 1377 and 1557 are the hets I have been hearing in No. Illinois.

I located the Zadar transmitter site as Grbe, Nin, Croatia here: http://www.polskaam.radiopolska.pl/english.htm The approximate geographical coordinates are 44N06/015E15. On the satellite imagery on Google Earth it appears as a 4 tower array less than a mile from the water. I also used Google Earth to estimate the bidirectional signal as 314°/134° When I plotted the direction of the strongest lobe of the signal it is entering the US at about the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, then proceeds through Northwest Wisconsin, Southeast Minnesota, Northwest Iowa, etc. In other words the signal is mainly coming towards the Upper Midwest US. No wonder this station is a consistent visitor to receivers in No. America in the fall, winter and spring, but particularly around the autumnal and vernal equinoxes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom