• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

10/29: WFTS replaces Monsters with Firefighters

rugrats1

Inactive
Inactive User
Tonight (10/29), ABC presented the animated film "Monsters, Inc." on "The Wonderful World of Disney", in celebration of Halloween on Monday.

What did WFTS do? While the skeds in today's paper had "Monsters", WFTS presented a firefighter film instead (don't know what it was, though).

Apparently, WFTS sold too much local ad time, and bumped Monsters to make good with the advertisers.

In my opinion, they should've either not sold so much local ads (unless they're trying to appease those who book ads for last week's postponed USF game, which WFTS was slated to carry), or scheduled the film ahead of time to make the schedule. I imagine alot of angry kids (in families that DO watch TV on Saturday night) complaining to WFTS about the last-minute change.

> Tonight (10/29), ABC presented the animated film "Monsters,
> Inc." on "The Wonderful World of Disney", in celebration of
> Halloween on Monday.
>
> What did WFTS do? While the skeds in today's paper had
> "Monsters", WFTS presented a firefighter film instead (don't
> know what it was, though).
>
> Apparently, WFTS sold too much local ad time, and bumped
> Monsters to make good with the advertisers.
>
> In my opinion, they should've either not sold so much local
> ads (unless they're trying to appease those who book ads for
> last week's postponed USF game, which WFTS was slated to
> carry), or scheduled the film ahead of time to make the
> schedule. I imagine alot of angry kids (in families that DO
> watch TV on Saturday night) complaining to WFTS about the
> last-minute change.
>

At my house we had to pop in the DVD to appease my son, and therefore saw noe of those oversold spots.
<P ID="signature">______________
"With God as my witness, I could have sworn turkeys could fly."</P>

The ABC affiliate here in Tampa does that all the time and it's so aggravating. They also show a bunch of infomercials in the morning during the week a lot of times too. And in times of major national news stories, instead of the ABC News feed they'll have the local newscasters on talking about how the national tragedy is affecting traffic at the Tampa Airport.

Personally, if WFTS frequently has the desire to go their own way, why can't ABC dump WFTS when their contract runs out and make WWSB the ABC station for the entire market?

> Personally, if WFTS frequently has the desire to go their
> own way, why can't ABC dump WFTS when their contract runs
> out and make WWSB the ABC station for the entire market?
>

Because WWSB's signal only goes as far north as Fowler Avenue in Tampa. Also, WFTS is owned by the same company that owns ABC affiliates in Detroit and Cleveland. If ABC dumped FTS it would likely be exiled to the UHF band in those two cities.

Interestingly, WZVN in Fort Myers' new digital signal is transmitted from Charlotte County and reaches as far north as Bradenton and Wauchula. After 2009, could ABC make WZVN the ABC affiliate for Sarasota and dump WWSB altogether?

> Because WWSB's signal only goes as far north as Fowler
> Avenue in Tampa. Also, WFTS is owned by the same company
> that owns ABC affiliates in Detroit and Cleveland. If ABC
> dumped FTS it would likely be exiled to the UHF band in
> those two cities.
>
In the real world, if WFTS ever loses its ABC affiliation, WWSB could either apply to improve its signal and/or relocate about 20 miles north to Riverview.

But, as long as Scripps has the money and calls the shots, anything can happen.

> Interestingly, WZVN in Fort Myers' new digital signal is
> transmitted from Charlotte County and reaches as far north
> as Bradenton and Wauchula. After 2009, could ABC make WZVN
> the ABC affiliate for Sarasota and dump WWSB altogether?
>
Only if WINK, WBBH and WFTX (all also originating from Charlotte County) replace the Tampa Bay channels as affiliates for Sarasota, and that's not likely to happen soon.

They also show a bunch of infomercials
> in the morning during the week a lot of times too.

So do the other stations. Big deal.

And in> times of major national news stories, instead of the ABC
> News feed they'll have the local newscasters on talking
> about how the national tragedy is affecting traffic at the
> Tampa Airport.
>

As much as some of the local reporters can get under my skin, I'd rather find out how the latest national crisis will effect me here, rather than the same general sound bites I would find on CNN, FOX or MSNBC.

> They also show a bunch of infomercials
> > in the morning during the week a lot of times too.
>
> So do the other stations. Big deal.
>
But usually not those affiliated with the Big 4. WB, UPN -- of course. But an ABC affiliate in market #12? You know WFTS is more money-hungry than all the rest.

> > They also show a bunch of infomercials
> > > in the morning during the week a lot of times too.
> >
> > So do the other stations. Big deal.
> >
> But usually not those affiliated with the Big 4. WB, UPN --
> of course. But an ABC affiliate in market #12? You know WFTS
> is more money-hungry than all the rest.
>
...in a somewhat-related story, the no-name station is bringing back their "Dirty Dining" segments just in time for November sweeps. Rest assured that ABC Network programming sometime this month will be pre-empted so that Action News will air a one-hour special on this.

> ...in a somewhat-related story, the no-name station is
> bringing back their "Dirty Dining" segments just in time for
> November sweeps. Rest assured that ABC Network programming
> sometime this month will be pre-empted so that Action News
> will air a one-hour special on this.
>
But will WFTS even bother now, now that Nielsen has cancelled sweeps for this November (according to the Miami radio board)?

Of course, this is WFTS we're talking about, and they'll do anything to welcome more local advertisers, sweeps or not.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom