• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

“The Price Is Right” Leaving L.A.’s Television City

CBS will need to order more episodes of TPIR at Night given the strike. I wouldn't be surprised if half a dozen are filmed this summer/fall at the new studio in Glendale. Whether they will return to a packed audience (I think pre-COVID capacity was 325), I'm not sure about.

Could a return to the $1,000,000 Spectacular be a possibility? They were last aired just after the end of the '07-'08 strike.

I had forgotten about the milky history of the complex... from the few times I was there, I realized you could get terminally lost just going to the rest room.
I worked part time as a production assistant there back in the 70's. It was kind of a dump from deferred updates then. Could only image what it's like today.

When was the last show that was taped there broadcast or has it been yet? Also are there any set changes planned for the 2023-24 season at the new location?
They haven’t promoted anything about the last show taped airing, but one can surmise it’s soon. Many shows don’t air in tape order, so it’s entirely possible that the last taped there isn’t the last to air for the season. Usually things wind down for the regular season right around this time; they may have a spare summer special or so on hold (fourth of July for example) if they recorded one this year.

No one has seen anything about the new season. Wait and see. The studio space is smaller by some accounts, but how that translates on air is obviously unknown.

Here is Paramount confirming the potential sale of Broadcast Center.

I was speaking with someone who works at the BC, and he tells me there's a lot of empty space in the building. So the feeling is there's more square footage than they need, and the building needs work. So they're better off moving to a smaller space in a cheaper part of town that might be closer to mass transit.

I was speaking with someone who works at the BC, and he tells me there's a lot of empty space in the building. So the feeling is there's more square footage than they need, and the building needs work. So they're better off moving to a smaller space in a cheaper part of town that might be closer to mass transit.
how much room would there be at the former TRL studios?

The show is hot garbage. Skinny Drew Carey is a horrendously bad host and the new formatting (thanks to Fremantle) screams pseudo-British reality tripe (because that's what it is). An opportunity to save money is here and now by simply killing the show.

An opportunity to save money is here and now by simply killing the show.
I don’t think CBS has any interest in doing that as one of the 2 half hours (they are rated separately) of TPIR is often the #1 network daytime program. And CBS cancelled 2 of their soaps, replacing them with lower cost to produce talk and game shows.

I don't think Carey is a bad host at all, but nobody can emulate Bob Barker. Drew wasn't that great in his first two seasons (case in point - the perfect bid, he had no cheerful reaction at all "he hit it on the nose. on the nose.") He has improved over time, but I do NOT like the beard and the scraggly gray hair at all. His pre-COVID, clean cut look was way better, a lot more 'professionalism'.

I wonder how Price would have been WITH Tom Bergeron at the helm, he was a top-tier candidate to replace Barker in 2007. That probably would have been the end of DWTS and AFV, however, for Bergeron, given the CBS contract.

After 50 years, "The Price is Right" leaves iconic Television City studio​

Since "The Price is Right" relaunched in 1972 with former host Bob Barker, the show has taped more than 9,500 episodes on the Television City lot in Los Angeles. However, now it's headed to a new home.

Back
Top Bottom