• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"610 Sports" is now "610 ESPN"

A month and a half and no one noticed. Sad for such a legendary station.

According to their Facebook page, April 18th they changed logos from 610 Sports to official 610 ESPN branding. First time the ESPN radio branding has been in Philly since 950 moved to 97.5.

A month and a half and no one noticed. Sad for such a legendary station.

Huh? It was a legendary station when it was WIP. But it lost those letters four years ago. So they've used a generic 610 Sports for a while. Now they have a familiar brand that people know. Nothing sad about being a radio station with a familiar brand.

I was thinking much the same thing--WIP exists on 94. No different than a restaurant or store that moved location, for instance. The heritage moves with it. Yeah, that lived at 610 AM for a long time, but then it moved out, and the equivalent of a dollar store moved in. :)

Perhaps he's referring to the fact that 610, by any name, doesn't appear at all in the ratings.

In fact, only three AM stations: KYW, WPHT, and WHAT, are listed. That is out of all the AM signals in the Philadelphia area.

Perhaps he's referring to the fact that 610, by any name, doesn't appear at all in the ratings.

In fact, only three AM stations: KYW, WPHT, and WHAT, are listed. That is out of all the AM signals in the Philadelphia area.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. A former ratings powerhouse in Philly is now barely listened to. (It's possible that they could get minimal ratings, but just don't subscribe. WHAT-AM didn't show up until recently, I'm assuming because their owners started subscribing once again.

There are a lot of cities where there are no AMs at all in the ratings. DC, for example, where WTOP and WMAL were once ratings powerhouses, now only exist thanks to their move to FM. This is a cultural and technological shift that's been in the works for at least ten years. Philadelphia, like Detroit, continued to have some AM listenership because of its older median age, but even that is starting to fade.

Yeah, I should have been clearer. A former ratings powerhouse in Philly is now barely listened to. (It's possible that they could get minimal ratings, but just don't subscribe. WHAT-AM didn't show up until recently, I'm assuming because their owners started subscribing once again.

But WIP still gets good numbers. 610 became a new entity; it was never a powerhouse in that context.

Just a comment from a life-long Philadelphia resident who has moved to Florida: I still cannot get used to the legal ID of "94 WIP". It still sounds wrong to me. I still expect to hear "94 WYSP". It has been about eight+ years since I left Philadelphia, and I follow the Phillies with the online MLB audio option. Up until a year or so ago, I'd get that feed with the WPHT audio. Now that they've moved the Phillies to FM, I get the feed with WIP IDs, and it just sounds flat-out wrong to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom