• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another New Urban Station 92.3/96.7 ???

Although not as much. iHeart sells as a national platform combining on air and online.

Here in Atlanta, iHeart has 2 stations among the top in billing, WUBL/94-9 The Bull, and WWPW/Power 96-1. The Bull is voice-tracked from 3PM-midnight, and Power 96-1 is voice-tracked from 8PM-midnight and has Ryan Seacrest's syndicated show on from noon-4PM.

The Beat will need 1 live and local jock for appearances. The other weekday shift is likely to be voice-tracked.

That's what you think. I am nowhere near 65.

It's not just what I think. Statistically the radio stations that program early 60s music appeal mostly to listeners over 65. That's why they've been dropping that music, and instead focusing on the 80s.

Yes the other Hip-Hop stations are very limited with their music. A larger playlist is a good thing and will draw in more listeners.

A larger playlist is a good thing and will draw in more listeners.

What we've seen in numerous studies is the larger the playlist, the smaller the audience. The most popular radio stations have a very narrowly focused playlist.

In my opinion, most I heart Urban's I've listened to tend to have a wide variety when it comes to the playlist. Since the "Classic Hip Hop" trend started, I tend to hear more throwbacks on iHeart mainstream Urban's. The larger markets that i've streamed play regional trends too. I think all of iHeart Urban's use Premium Choice voice tracking and the national "Beat" playlist overnights. Some smaller markets run Premium Choice nearly 24/7 with little to no local jocks nor regional music trends.
Unlike most other radio groups, I Heart didn't seem to have as much a strong interest in doing throwback stations (urban or rhythmic). So far they still have WSOC Jacksonville, KHYL Sacramento, WKSA Norfolk, KLQT ABQ and KFBT Fresno. They flipped the ones in Cincinnati and St Louis last year.

As for The Beat Atlanta, I don't think it's gonna last unlike the new urbans I Heart launched since 2014. It's in the ratings, two frequencies that don't cover too well and the excessive presence of urban radio here.

Unlike most other radio groups, I Heart didn't seem to have as much a strong interest in doing throwback stations (urban or rhythmic). So far they still have WSOC Jacksonville, KHYL Sacramento, WKSA Norfolk, KLQT ABQ and KFBT Fresno. They flipped the ones in Cincinnati and St Louis last year.

As for The Beat Atlanta, I don't think it's gonna last unlike the new urbans I Heart launched since 2014. It's in the ratings, two frequencies that don't cover too well and the excessive presence of urban radio here.

But then you look at Streetz 94.5 which has done well in the younger demos with a couple hundred watts, albeit at 1000 feet. It competes with all the same urban stations the iHeart stations does and has less power than a 1 slice toaster.
How well they are turning those numbers into revenue I don't know.

Problem with THE BEAT is, nobody can hear them in Dekalb County.

Also, STREETZ 94.5 actually lives up to it's name. They have a huge public presence at Urban events and nightclubs. The new morning show isn't too bad neither.

Last edited:
Problem with THE BEAT is, nobody can hear them in Dekalb County.

Also, STREETZ 94.5 actually lives up to it's name. They have a huge public presence at Urban events and nightclubs. The new morning show isn't too bad neither.

Reminds me of Hot 97. Mary Catherine Sneed had the vision and Steve Hegewood knew the programming logistics...that station's first book was a 4 share! The station started on a shoestring budget...first vehicle was Ryan Cameron's old Ford Fiesta...studios in a trailer located in a cow pasture.
Hegewood is one smart cookie! Streetz is the result...

Yes, Mary Catherine Sneed and Steve Hegwood both deserve tons of credit for launching the Hip-Hop format in Atlanta on 97.5. I don't know about Ryan's Ford Fiesta, but the trailer was in the 97.5 tower field on Senoia Road until the new studio/office facilities were ready on Old National Highway. Atlanta was Radio One's third market after Washington, DC and Baltimore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom