• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOLA FM adds 2000's

They added Justin Timberlake and destiny child to the playlist. And I think the eagles songs have been "rested" from the playlist
I went and used tune genie to check the playlist.

They added Justin Timberlake and destiny child to the playlist. And I think the eagles songs have been "rested" from the playlist
I went and used tune genie to check the playlist.

Here is the real analysis based on total airplay using BDS:

You are right that KOLA has added about 40 songs from the first decade of the 2000s. But no, it is not significant given that most of them are getting just one play per week. The track that gets the most play is Uncle Kracker "Drift Away" which has been in rotation at KRTH for over a year.

The Eagles song most people identify with Classic Hits formats, "Hotel California", is still getting daily airplay, per BDS. (TuneGenie is not an industry-accepted source of data.)

The most-played song this past week was OMD's "If You Leave" with an average of two plays per day. Every song above the Uncle Kracker in terms of higher airplay are 1980s songs. So there are no higher rotating 90's, 00's or 70's tunes.

Average 2000s title airplay is approximately equivalent to the 40 or so titles remaining from the 1970s. So it all evens out.

KOLA, which lives under a very usable KRTH signal, has spent many years as an edgier classic hits implementation and it is working for them.

KOLA has been a great station for decades now, I used to do business with them, all good people!

Did you do business with them way back in the day when they were a tightly formatted AOR? That would be all the way back in the 80s. if I remember correctly, they had just the one DJ, Al Barnett I believe his name was, who was never live but recorded generic intros and outros for all of the tracks in his deep radio voice:

"That was John Couger Mellencamp on KOLA 99.9 - Pink Houses"

The funny thing was my older rockin' family members like my uncles considered KOLA 99.9 to be rock for the kiddies, but KCAL-FM and KMET were the "real" rock stations. I learned a lot later, I think from this board, that the KOLA PD a the time would get the weekly KMET playlist and mimic it almost entirely. Interesting how KOLA and KMET could have the essentially the exact same playlist but have such a different brand identity in the minds of the listeners (at least in my family).

No. ChannelFlipper, I didn't live in California until 1985, didn't get into the radio business until 1987, and didn't own my own company until 1998. Started doing business with KOLA in 1999 (to 2009) when they wer "Good Times and Great Oldies" for most of that time.

No. ChannelFlipper, I didn't live in California until 1985, didn't get into the radio business until 1987, and didn't own my own company until 1998. Started doing business with KOLA in 1999 (to 2009) when they wer "Good Times and Great Oldies" for most of that time.

It's good that you did not do business with them when Fred Cote had still not checked into the Graybar Hotel.

KOTE KOLA.jpg

A true piece of work, he was approached by the owner I worked for in in the early 90's. He responded "I won't deal with a k--e (derogatory term for Jews) who wants to program for s---s (derogatory term for Hispanics). And then he hung up.

Karma is a bitch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom