• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The end of The Mully & Hanley Show

staggmovie

Star Participant
This past Tuesday morning Robert Feder reported in his Robservations is reporting that Brian Hanley is not being renewed as The Score's morning co-host, he is a 26 year veteran of the station. He also reported that no word for management that he is expected to work through the end of this month. And that will be with his longtime partner Mike Mulligan, and he will move into a new role of weekend and fill in host. Robert Feder reporter that Brain Hanley was a former Chicago Suntimes sports columnist before joining the Score in 1992 as a part timer at The Score's inception. He also reported that a Hanley and Mully teamed up in middays in 2005, and moved to mornings in 2008. He also reported that sources say that Chicago Tribune sports columnist David Haugh is expected to replace Hanley in the morning slot. David Haugh previously was co-host of Kap and Haugh that started on the ill fated The Game radio station, that once the station was ended later the same year they started, Kap and Haugh stayed on as hosts on WGN Plus, and then eventually the show started airing on Comcast Sports Network, until the show's cancellation and both hosts were released, David Kaplan of course moved on to sign with WMVP ESPN Radio where he currently hosts Kap and Company mid mornings, while David Haugh hasn't done a regular radio job since.

On the surface, this move seems to make no sense whatsoever. But things aren't always as they appear on the surface.

On the surface, this move seems to make no sense whatsoever. But things aren't always as they appear on the surface.

That is true, but assume this must have been Jimmy DeCastro's decision to end their morning show team 10 years or just about 10 years after they took over mornings. I would think there could be a possibility of who does want up replacing Brain Hanley on the morning show, even if in case it doesn't work out with David Hugh, that they could reunite on days when his replacements takes off, and they ask Hanley to fill in.

I stopped listening to the Score about 5 years ago, but I always thought Mulley & Hanley were excellent. I don't understand this move.

I stopped listening to the Score about 5 years ago, but I always thought Mulley & Hanley were excellent. I don't understand this move.

Your not the only one that doesn't understand this move I am sure a lot of listeners and longtime fans of their show do not understand this move.

Two possible motives would be money or ego. Either is possible here.

It could be, but I to say this was management's decision, which I am assuming is Jinny Decastro's decision, since his company owns all the CBS stations in town, and look what he did brought the end of K-Hits, releasing all the djs including Brain Peck that was hired only a few weeks prior to ending K-Hits and making it a hip-hop station.

Thank you for the link, I hope this will provide at least some insight on why this decision was made.

The article doesn't explain why only Hanley was replaced and not Mulligan. If this really is about recreating The Game on 670, they should have dropped both.

Also, the article blames DeCastro for WGN losing the Cubs. I'd suggest that blame goes to Sam Zell.

Here is an article with some perspective from Barrett Sports Media:

http://sportsradiopd.com/2018/07/the-game-makes-a-comeback-in-chicago/

I read the article, and this article provides more insight on The Game that I had made a mention of in my original post. so if anybody that read my post, and never heard of The Game, I am, sure were scratching their heads wondering what the heck I was talking about. I hope that they check out the article out. But looks like the plan is that Jimmy Descastro is replacing long time sports hosts with sports hosts that he knows from the Game. Now he won't be able to get Mark Carman and Harry Teinowitz as they are the last ones standing that was on The Game that is still on WGN Radio, they currently host White Sox weekly and maybe even the Beat late Saturday afternoons until the early evening hours. Depending on of course what the Chicago White Sox' schedule looks like on Saturdays, as they can also have them air on Saturday nights instead if the Chicago White Sox are playing a game that airs during that time slot. Where the game ended Jimmy Descastro canceled the weekend version of Weekend Sports Central, and replaced it with the Beat with younger sports hosts. I believe Connor McKnight was one of the original hosts of The Beat, and I believe that they had 2 more co-hosts Jarrett Payton was a host more on the Sunday version of The Beat, where sometimes he was in studios but mainly on a phone line, until WGN Radio ended the Sunday version of The Beat, and moved Brain Noonan to afternoons, and gave Karen Conti a show of her own. The Beat in football season only got to air rare shows when the Chicago Bears would have Noon (central time) games, and WGN Radio would have Hamp, O'B , and Koz follow up Chicago Bears games with a post game show, and the Beat would only airs when the Bears didn't play at Noon on a Sunday., which also included when they had a bye week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom