• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WABC vs WKXW

I bet cost for commercials is a LOT cheaper on "NJ 101.5"

Rates are set based on audience delivery. NJ 101.5 has a huge audience, and is priced accordingly. It has billings in the same range as WABC, despite being centered in a smaller market, Trenton.

Rates are set based on audience delivery. NJ 101.5 has a huge audience, and is priced accordingly. It has billings in the same range as WABC, despite being centered in a smaller market, Trenton.

So do you think buying spots on NJ 101.5 are the same cost as buying on WABC?

So do you think buying spots on NJ 101.5 are the same cost as buying on WABC?

If they bill the same and have the same inventory levels, the cost per spot is going to be about th e same.

Remember that spot rates are hugely variable based on days, season, dayparts as well as the need to meet agency CPPs to get on specific buys.

WKXW also shows up respectably in the big Philadelphia market. They're marginally ahead of another 50,000 watt AM station there -- WPHT.

I don't know of any other station that showed up in two major markets yet wasn't licensed to either. Perhaps someone here knows of a few.

WKXW also shows up respectably in the big Philadelphia market. They're marginally ahead of another 50,000 watt AM station there -- WPHT.

I don't know of any other station that showed up in two major markets yet wasn't licensed to either. Perhaps someone here knows of a few.

WFAN(AM) has occasionally shown up in the Boston ratings, I believe. It definitely has in Hartford, but No. 52 isn't "major." Has it ever done so in Philadelphia?

If I'm not mistaken, the old WHFS would show up in both DC and Baltimore.

@ CT listener,

Back before Arbitron got snobbish and used to release ALL the 12 + numbers, WOR and WABC used to take regular bows in the Philadelphia book. They'd be like 0.4 or 0.6 iIrc. I don't remember seeing WFAN there, although they could've shown and I missed it. Perhaps back when they were WNNNNNBC they'd pop up. That's before my time, though :- )

True as the sunrise, though, WFAN showed in a lot of books. Hampton-Riverhead, New London, Cape Cod .... Jersey Shore ..... they regularly showed up ahead of Hartford's own sports station WPOP there! You're memory is correct.
I can't think of another station ever to show up like Forrest Gump in as many different places.

@ CT listener,

Back before Arbitron got snobbish and used to release ALL the 12 + numbers, WOR and WABC used to take regular bows in the Philadelphia book. They'd be like 0.4 or 0.6 iIrc. I don't remember seeing WFAN there, although they could've shown and I missed it. Perhaps back when they were WNNNNNBC they'd pop up. That's before my time, though :- )

True as the sunrise, though, WFAN showed in a lot of books. Hampton-Riverhead, New London, Cape Cod .... Jersey Shore ..... they regularly showed up ahead of Hartford's own sports station WPOP there!

Hartford's sports station is now WUCS (97.9) and carries New York Yankees games, but it is so signal-challenged to the south and southwest (hemmed in by co-channel WSKQ New York, along with WCTY 97.7 Norwich and WCTK 98.1 New Bedford/Providence to the east and southeast) that it misses the parts the Hartford market where interest in New York teams is highest. It's also heavily dependent on ESPN Radio content -- never a big ratings grabber -- having only one locally originated show on its entire schedule. No surprise that the AM signal of WFAN from about 100 miles away is still a presence in the Hartford ratings!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom