• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I'd like to get the ball rolling with WPLJ

kjsisco

:confused:
I am new to the forums and just need to ask:
Has the PD of 95.5 WPLJ lost it? Last time I checked, Todd's ratings were in the toilet so why didn't he get the boot? Have things gotten better for him? If not, why is the Todd show still on the air? Feel free to blast me for my ignorance.

What ratings are you looking at? What age demographics? What breakouts? What's considered "in the toilet"? And more importantly, do you know what the station bills every month? The general 6+ ratings that Nielson releases are not by any means a true indicator of the ratings or revenue success of a show or station. I'm not trying to blast you nor am I trying to make a case for WPLJ because it's not a station I listen to. Just trying to understand the criteria involved here in determining whether or not something is a success or a failure.

You might be looking at the 6+ ratings as they are publicly available. Radio, while normally based on how big your audience equates to your success in how much advertising can be sold, the true test is revenue you generate. It is a combination of reaching a targeted market successfully and then monetizing it. Overall, the more desirable listening group for advertisers might not always the the biggest number overall. I've seen sportstalk stations with what appears to be dismal 6+ ratings winning a certain demographic and selling the heck out of it. Also, in major markets certain areas of the metro might be more important than others in the advertiser's minds, so this can be a factor. After all is said and done, it's not the ratings but the revenue generated that matters. Usually ratings mean revenue but it gets broken down further to the right segment of radio listeners that spells success. It would be interesting to see if you are on to something here. You might be but I'm not privy to the numbers others might be looking at.

:confused:
I am new to the forums and just need to ask:
Has the PD of 95.5 WPLJ lost it? Last time I checked, Todd's ratings were in the toilet so why didn't he get the boot? Have things gotten better for him? If not, why is the Todd show still on the air? Feel free to blast me for my ignorance.

While not near #1, WPLJ is, using a multi-book average, around 10th in 25-54 and 6th or 7th in 25-54 women.

While it's billing has been off in recent years, it is still producing good revenue... about 50% more than its sister FM... so look for fine tuning, not a format change.

Next time you are in a real good mood, having a great day etc, turn on 95.5 PLJ! 15 minutes later how do you feel? Please, put down that razor blade! The station just isn't fun, I'm not saying this 2017 version of WKTU that plays 2 "throwbacks" an hour along with the songs z100 and amp just got done burning to a crisp is a joy to listen to but it sure isn't as depressing as WPLJ is. The concept is on point, it is the execution. And just like everyone else in NYC I couldn't tell you about how great the morning show is because we listen to Elvis, the Breakfast Club, or Scott Shannon each morning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom