• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is your least favorite Christmas song?

When I was little, some of the first Christmas music I ever heard was on my parents' "Album Five". I liked most everything on it but I was reminded last night when I watched the 50th anniversary Carol Burnett special that I couldn't stand Steve and Eydie's "Sleigh Ride". Now, since they've been on radio stations I've listened to in the past 25 years, I like pretty much everything they've done.

My least favorite Christmas song?? Sick of hearing "This Christmas" by 90's and 00's singers. Also can do without "All I Want For Christmas" by Mariah Carey. Grossly overplayed and annoying. Once a year for me is good enough for that song. Much prefer the true classics: Percy Faith, Andy Williams, Mathis, Bing, Carpenters, Beach Boys, Jose Feliciano, Frank Sinatra.....Rat Pack type music....etc...etc..etc.. Anything post mid 80's is usually off my playlist, except for a few Connick Jr. and Buble songs, which are surprisingly good.

Last edited:
I think I'm the only person alive who absolutely hates Manheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra.

I dislike them too, except "We Three Kings" by Steamroller and "Christmas Canon" by TSO, the only two by them I enjoy.

I don't know - the Gloria Estefan version of This Christmas is excellent IMO. She also does a great slow jazzy version of "The Christmas Song", and obviously 'Christmas Through Your Eyes'.
I wasn't impressed with Sinatra Jr. and Nancy Sinatra doing '12 Days of Christmas' (Loving Dad). Heard that this morning. I'll stick to my traditional turtle doves, french hens and maids-a-milkin' over a lavender tie and ivory combs.

No need for snark. Still plenty of players out there, and country listeners generally profile as more traditional regarding technology. Those current stars who appeal exclusively to teens and early 20s probably won't sell many CDs, if they're doing Christmas albums at all, but I can see Kacey Musgraves and Chris Young's CDs doing well. There's also new product out from Garth and Trisha, Reba McEntire, the Oak Ridge Boys and Loretta Lynn that will certainly find its way under older listeners' trees in the form of compact discs.

My parents are 85. They appreciate CD's as gifts, and they've received a few made by my wife and girls with their favorite songs. Of course they're not professional, but they did turn out very well.

Greg

My least favorite Christmas song?? Sick of hearing "This Christmas" by 90's and 00's singers. Also can do without "All I Want For Christmas" by Mariah Carey. Grossly overplayed and annoying. Once a year for me is good enough for that song. Much prefer the true classics: Percy Faith, Andy Williams, Mathis, Bing, Carpenters, Beach Boys, Jose Feliciano, Frank Sinatra.....Rat Pack type music....etc...etc..etc.. Anything post mid 80's is usually off my playlist, except for a few Connick Jr. and Buble songs, which are surprisingly good.
This is how I feel. I don't really like "Feliz Navidad" but I tolerate it.

After the first few notes of "Up on the Housetop" by Kimberley Locke, whoever that is, I turned it off. It's not that it's that bad but it's not my idea of Christmas music.

The vast majority of us are male. That automatically means we're not the target of all Christmas stations. Of course, if I were carrying a PPM, I'd almost certainly hit a little bit of Christmas music each year. When I buy gifts for the wife and nieces, I'm all but certain to walk into a store tuned to one of my local all Christmas stations. For Nielsen purposes, that counts as me listening to Christmas music.

What’s PPM?

What’s PPM?

Expanding on Marc's post:

Portable People Meter, or PPM.

Nielsen uses a panel in the PPM markets (all the top 50 except for 2 markets). A panel is a group of people, recruited by households, that, in miniature, represent proportionally all the population groups in a market. If 24% are over 55, 24% of the participants will be. If there are 52% women, 52% of of the panel will be women. Same for other ages, ethnic groups, income levels, geographic distribution, etc.

Each person carries a pager-like device and it detects, by means of inaudible data on each station's signal, what station is being heard, when and for how long. Nielsen gets the data every night, and produces listening reports for each week and monthly "books" each 4 weeks.

Highly biased but additional article at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta...ened in smaller sports and not continuously.)

Any song, Christmas or otherwise, that starts with "Haaa, haaa" is not one I want to hear, period. In this case Faith Hill's "Where Are You Christmas?"

I Can't stand "I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gina Peevley! I hate "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" by Elmo & Patsy(I prefer the Irish Rovers version). And I despise "Dominick The Donkey" by Lou Monte.
Finally, I'm not too hot about the Nat "King" Cole/Natalie Cole version of "The Christmas Song." I prefer the solo versions by the respective singers.
And I'd like to shoot the entire Bob Rivers Comedy Group's repertoire!

I Can't stand "I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gina Peevley!

Just to be picky, it's Gayla Peevey. Seems like I'd heard she was living near Branson, MO these days, but I can't seem to find where I thought I'd heard that.

Neil Diamond's "You Make it Feel Like Christmas" doesn't feel like Christmas. I like his style of music the rest of the year but it sounds strange to me now.

On being picky, on The First Noel (No particular artist) I don't like it as well when they sing the line They look-ed up like it's two syllables. I know that may be the traditional way to sing it, but I like it better when they sing it more smoothly, like they Loooooooked up. Is that getting too picky? :rolleyes:

Now back to our regular programming... :)

We should have a poll....but as for me, it's a toss up between "Santa Baby" and "Favorite Things."

On second thought, it's "Santa Baby." While I hate "Favorite Things" as a Christmas song, it's OK in context as one of the numbers in "The Sound of Music."

On being picky, on The First Noel (No particular artist) I don't like it as well when they sing the line They look-ed up like it's two syllables. I know that may be the traditional way to sing it, but I like it better when they sing it more smoothly, like they Loooooooked up. Is that getting too picky? :rolleyes:

Now back to our regular programming... :)

I agree. Who's Ed, and why do the Wise Men look him up? Are they calling Ed for an Uber camel ride after they pay homage?
Other versions just go with 'Then they looked up, and...'

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom