• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

La Grande to...

KXA

Frequent Participant
Rumor has it that KMCQ Oak Harbor has been sold to Bustos Media Holdings. Looks like La Grande is coming to Mt. Vernon.

Not a great move IMO, but the Spanish population is growing up there. I bet there were quite a few listeners to KMCQ Country in Oak Harbor, Mt. Vernon, Burlington, etc. Guess more were listening to an AM with a Camano Island translator for their country music fix...or even JR-FM! I don't think KMCQ ever had any personalities...and this may be why.

I was told the station was likely to be sold when it signed on a year ago. They weren't selling any spots at all, and the only thing I ever heard resembling a spot was an add counsel PSA at the top of the hour.

Not a great move IMO, but the Spanish population is growing up there.

To some, it may be nit picking... but to others the distinction is really significant:

The "Spanish" are people from Spain. "Hispanics" are the Spanish speaking people who live in the United States. Calling US Hispanics "Spanish" is rather like calling African Americans "Negroes".

To some, it may be nit picking... but to others the distinction is really significant:

The "Spanish" are people from Spain. "Hispanics" are the Spanish speaking people who live in the United States. Calling US Hispanics "Spanish" is rather like calling African Americans "Negroes".

I'm not sure I get the connection. Most Hispanics speak Spanish, and of course most also English. The comparison with African Americans is off base IMO. The two are not related in any way or form when discussing language. When describing radio stations, the term "Spanish" is acceptable, if that is the language being used. I think at times we get too politically correct for our own good.

I'm not sure I get the connection. Most Hispanics speak Spanish, and of course most also English.

The way persons we now call, in the US, "Hispanic" was a common, and often derogatory and generally ignorant way of referring to people who were actually nearly all from Latin America.

The term was not used by the people themselves, just as Americans don't call themselves "English" based on the language most people in the USA speak. It was, and is, considered offensive.

This is a case of people of one group addressing those of another by a term that was broadly rejected by those being addressed.

And, for accuracy, "most" Hispanics don't speak Spanish. A large percentage do, but in many places, the Hispanic population includes many, like Jerry Garcia, who are of Hispanic heritage but who can barely read the menu at Taco Bell.

The comparison with African Americans is off base IMO. The two are not related in any way or form when discussing language. When describing radio stations, the term "Spanish" is acceptable, if that is the language being used. I think at times we get too politically correct for our own good.

The poster referred to a growth of "the Spanish population". Not "the Spanish speaking population". Just "Spanish". Just as it would be improper to call folks from the USA "English" as I just said, it is improper and considered by many to be offensive to call Hispanics "Spanish".

This is not about political correctness. It's about a term that many Hispanics consider offensive. While not as despicable as the "N-word" it is considered demeaning and is well disliked. Just as, today, calling African Americans "negroes" is broadly rejected and, to many, offensive (although groups like the UNCF continue to use it).

In fact, "Spanish radio stations" are in Spain. They should, for accuracy, be called "Spanish language" stations... but I agree that many who are not close to that segment of the industry do indeed use the imprecise "Spanish" term for them. To me, it's like calling KIRO an English station; imprecise and uninformed.

I couldn't think of a more perfect area for it. I've been saying for years Skagit County needed a Hispanic station.

This is a case of people of one group addressing those of another by a term that was broadly rejected by those being addressed.

So true. My wife is Japanese and I find myself cringing when I hear someone call Asian people 'Orientals'.

like Jerry Garcia, who are of Hispanic heritage but who can barely read the menu at Taco Bell.

Currently Jerry can't read the menu at Taco Bell at all.

Wow...this thread got derailed quick.

Back on topic. This is a good move for Bustos, so that they can fill in the 'north end' where KDDS is non-existent, and gets stomped on by CFOX.

The new KSWD facebook page is littered with horrible comments from ex-KMPS fans...and a lot of them will be 'switching to 103.3'. Not for long!

The new KSWD facebook page is littered with horrible comments from ex-KMPS fans...and a lot of them will be 'switching to 103.3'. Not for long!

I see TV spots coming for 98.9....

So true. My wife is Japanese and I find myself cringing when I hear someone call Asian people 'Orientals'.

"Oriental" is a rug.

Currently Jerry can't read the menu at Taco Bell at all.

Who sez that the afterlife is not one non-stop Taco Supreme?

Last edited:
I see TV spots coming for 98.9....

Hopefully Hubbard's marketing budget is better than the 'budget' they had for "Rock 98.9", which was almost nothing.

Not just TV spots, but also a social media campaign to get all them redneck youngin's to switch from the wild rabid K9.

Last edited:
Oh you crazy guys... 103.3 KMCQ puts a decent signal into Everett and Marysville. The North Sound is rapidly growing, and Seattle stations, especially the South Mountain rim shots (KOMO-FM, KLSY-FM, KDDS-FM) don't cover the North Sound as well.

I'm wondering if Bustos will make a deal with Entercom, to do something with the 103.3 translator station in downtown Seattle? Either pay Entercom to shut down the translator so that 103.3 in Oak Harbor can boost power, or just buy the translator and re-transmit KMCQ (Or whatever the call letters become), effectively making it a booster?

With country most like going bye-bye from 103.3 up there, I wonder if KVRQ will snatch up the "Q-Country" name"?

I'm wondering if Bustos will make a deal with Entercom, to do something with the 103.3 translator station in downtown Seattle? Either pay Entercom to shut down the translator so that 103.3 in Oak Harbor can boost power, or just buy the translator and re-transmit KMCQ (Or whatever the call letters become), effectively making it a booster?

With country most like going bye-bye from 103.3 up there, I wonder if KVRQ will snatch up the "Q-Country" name"?

To really get into Seattle from someplace in Northwest Washington, you're probably going to need to be on a higher place than Little Mountain (which there are plenty of.) And on a frequency without Canadian first adjacents (which there are not.)

So if Bustos and Entercom can work out something on the 103.3 translator, that's a win-win.

And a win-win-win if they can talk KMAS into moving their 103.3 translator somewhere else down the dial.

And essentially flat out BINGO if they can achieve this with 99.3 in the South Sound, giving reasonable (if spotty) nearly full Puget Sound coverage.

Theoretically, it looks doable. In practicality, once you get past the paperwork, engineering, bureaucracy, bill$, and waiting for it all, it's a cinch. Maybe Kelly can shed some some light on this.

K-V-R-Q are a good enough set of country radio station call letters. Just make the idents with an Southern accent. (Preferably by any woman named "Lurleen".)

Doesn't KDDS have boosters already on 99.3, serving Seattle proper/South King County? Wouldn't make sense to air it on K277AE as well. It serves very little purpose as a Hot 103.7 translator. Maybe Entercom can sell it to Bonneville to simulcast KIRO 710, if they don't want to flip it to The Mountain HD2.

Doesn't KDDS have boosters already on 99.3, serving Seattle proper/South King County? Wouldn't make sense to air it on K277AE as well. It serves very little purpose as a Hot 103.7 translator. Maybe Entercom can sell it to Bonneville to simulcast KIRO 710, if they don't want to flip it to The Mountain HD2.

If they do, it doesn't sound that way in my part of South King County. 99.3 sounds like a fringe station from my location SE of Seattle.

I was told the station was likely to be sold when it signed on a year ago. They weren't selling any spots at all, and the only thing I ever heard resembling a spot was an add counsel PSA at the top of the hour.
Ad Council not add counsel

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom