• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL: Did the '90s ever even happen?

Looks like all the '90s are gone from WOGL. I just took a quick spin and I don't see anything after 1989. Maybe they want the "Nineties to Now" exclusively on 96.5...but when I had heard WOGL recently, I really enjoyed the '90s stuff they had added. If they really deleted all the '90s, they're limiting the station to strictly two decades, no?

I noticed that as well. They also seem to have eliminated what was left of the '60s. The playlist as a whole seems narrower and more generic.

Same thing that, sadly, WCBSFM has done and IS doing even right now - I turned it on the other day - and let's just say if I don't hear ELO or Bon Jovi again, I'd be happy - BIG turnoff factor for me

I noticed the same thing and then WOGL re-added some of their 90s playlist. They have also added some 90s to the Top 500 Countdown. I hope they keep adding 90s songs. Do you think that WOGL will keep Back to the 80s Sundays, Street Corner Sunday, the All-Request Lunch Hour and Bob Pantano's Saturday Night Dance Party? I hope they keep the Back to the 80s Sunday. They do need to add more variety to this though. They seem to play the same 80s songs on that as well. I would love for them to expand and add some 80s pop hip hop and some 80s rock.

Actually i just saw on FB that Street Corner Sunday will be back this year. I am a bit suprised they are bringing this back. This is the only classic hits stations that Entercom has that is still doing this. I wonder if they other classic hits stations will follow this trend. I have noticed that WOGL does lag behind the other classic hits stations at it still playing a decent amount of 70s. Most other classic stations are playing 1-2 an hour and the rest 80s and maybe 1-2 90s.

well, speaking as one who grew up with "Don K Reed's Doowopp Shop" at CBSFM in New York...one can only hope and pray.....

IMHO Mr Reed and the shop on Sunday nights blew Holidays and Blavitts Sunday night oldies shows out of the water. Having relatives in Brooklyn in the 70's it was a joy to visit them just to tune in CBS-FM. Reed, Nite, Dayton, Heatherton, Anderson, Greer and the rest, since their sign on they always threw doo wop cuts in their great mix every hour during the 70's, in fact they even had a liner, doo wop gold. It wouldn't be odd to hear a Vito and the Salutations, Quotations, Contenders or Reperata and the Delrons tune every hour...Thats one thing the great Diamond Jim never did with CAU-FM throw any doo wop in the format, except maybe the four jays on occasion.

Saw a story yesterday where sister WOMC-FM in Detroit has also dropped the 90's. Both Philadelphia and Detroit have sister AC's for the 90's.

Apparently they're moving the 90s to 96.5. They needed to find something for that station, and they decided to make it 90s.

Yes and yes and yes!

IMHO Mr Reed and the shop on Sunday nights blew Holidays and Blavitts Sunday night oldies shows out of the water. Having relatives in Brooklyn in the 70's it was a joy to visit them just to tune in CBS-FM. Reed, Nite, Dayton, Heatherton, Anderson, Greer and the rest, since their sign on they always threw doo wop cuts in their great mix every hour during the 70's, in fact they even had a liner, doo wop gold. It wouldn't be odd to hear a Vito and the Salutations, Quotations, Contenders or Reperata and the Delrons tune every hour...Thats one thing the great Diamond Jim never did with CAU-FM throw any doo wop in the format, except maybe the four jays on occasion.

that's an easy one - cos' OGL and all the others were simply copying what Don and the others were doing - and let's face it - The DooWopp Shop had NO imitators!

That would seem to indicate it's going to be very difficult to move the Classic Hits/Classic Rock format forward past the 80s

that's an easy one - cos' OGL and all the others were simply copying what Don and the others were doing - and let's face it - The DooWopp Shop had NO imitators!

and don't forget the Saturday night sock hop with the late great Jack Spector, plenty of doo wop and rare gems.

That would seem to indicate it's going to be very difficult to move the Classic Hits/Classic Rock format forward past the 80s

I've thought this for the longest time (whoa-oh-oh-oh, for the longest time). There's a few dozen hit songs after about 1992 I'd be willing to mix in with the 70s and 80s hits that dominate "Classic Hits" today. But that doesn't mean that a 90s-dominated format won't work in the future - in the same way that Oldies had to reinvent its sound when it began to add the 80s.

I've thought this for the longest time (whoa-oh-oh-oh, for the longest time). There's a few dozen hit songs after about 1992 I'd be willing to mix in with the 70s and 80s hits that dominate "Classic Hits" today. But that doesn't mean that a 90s-dominated format won't work in the future - in the same way that Oldies had to reinvent its sound when it began to add the 80s.

It will start working once the fans of the new wave/power pop sounds age out of the demos advertisers are looking for. A station playing songs from 1987-2007 would be a typical "oldies" station in 2027. It would be rhythmic-heavy and uptempo, and even include hip-hop, because that's what most CHR listeners from that time period would remember best and want to hear.

Yeah, look at their playlists. Since they came back from Christmas music, WOGL has played almost nothing beyond the '80s. Meanwhile, WTDY has cut back on the '80s (about 1 per hour) and is mostly playing current AC songs along with a YUUUUUUUUGE dose of '90s pop. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Before, if I was forced to listen to terrestrial radio, WOGL was always a station I checked. But with just '70s and '80s, they don't even exist to me anymore. But I would definitely tune into WTDY so I guess at least it's all in the family.

It will start working once the fans of the new wave/power pop sounds age out of the demos advertisers are looking for.

I'd think that new wave would more more compatible with '90s music (particularly alternative and to an extent Eurodance) than the hair metal and Journey-type acts would be. But maybe that's just my personal biases.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom