• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAHM Sells Out

I can't believe that CCF didn't investigate all the issues around KVGG before making an offer, but the posts here about KVGG would make me hesitant to want to get in the middle of what looks like a long legal expensive mess. These issues could still take years to resolve, and ultimately prevent KAHM becoming a Phoenix rimshot, which is why I would assume CCF would want it in the first place.

KAHM's sales price is based solely upon becoming a rimshot. The Nurse and I have reason to believe both the Buyer and Seller are willing to let this play out a little longer. CCF bought a commercial AM & translator in the Valley, and appears to be doing pretty well. So what's the rush?

I would not want to get involved in a forced marriage with Kemp, this whole thing seems very strange. Maybe CCF can buy out Kemp's interest in KVGG and make the whole thing go away.

He put far too much into getting the license for KVGG to be a reasonable seller. He's also aware that in spite of CCF being non-profit, they have deep pockets.

In my fantasy world as a financially independent owner, I would try to buy KVGG from Kemp, move KAHM south, put smooth jazz on the main channel and BM on an HD2 with a translator (and probably not make much money).

In our fantasy world, Nurse Jeff and I would put our Gremlin in the elevator of the Wells Fargo Tower in Vegas and send it to Kemp's 17th floor office. Bet he'd come to the bargaining table real fast!

Last edited:
Consummation Notice filed, so KAHM is officially owned by the Cesar Chavez Foundation. Guess they'll be dealing with KVGG and the move to Towers Mtn by themselves. And the Elevator Music?....hmmmm, don't know. But Nurse Jeff and I keep hearing this "tick-tock" sound when we tune to 102~One on the Gremlin's radio.

Things were still "Calm" in Prescott this morning... Fri. 1/19. Heard the British lady and everything sounded the same. I do wonder how long it will go on......

I think they should stunt with disco or rock just to get the folks moving. Are they going to run those funeral parlor and retiree financial planning ads with the new format?

As for KVGG, good luck with that -

Last edited:
Things were still "Calm" in Prescott this morning... Fri. 1/19. Heard the British lady and everything sounded the same. I do wonder how long it will go on......

I think they should stunt with disco or rock just to get the folks moving. Are they going to run those funeral parlor and retiree financial planning ads with the new format?

As for KVGG, good luck with that -

Just as when a station I worked for switched from rhythmic CHR to classic country, stunting isn't really necessary. Just as segueing from 'Back That Azz Up" to David Allen Coe accomplished, you don't need to go through extraordinary measures to tell the audience that things are different now. We just faded out Juvenile, hit the legal and the promo explaining the format, and then "It was all... that I could do... to keep from crying..."

Since there isn't any real tactical advantage of keeping things a secret here - it's not like Univision and Entravision don't know what's coming - I would expect KAHM to make a graceful exit and let the staff say goodbye prior to the flip.

Just as when a station I worked for switched from rhythmic CHR to classic country, stunting isn't really necessary. Just as segueing from 'Back That Azz Up" to David Allen Coe accomplished, you don't need to go through extraordinary measures to tell the audience that things are different now. We just faded out Juvenile, hit the legal and the promo explaining the format, and then "It was all... that I could do... to keep from crying..."

Wait a minute...you didn't mention mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting drunk!

Meanwhile, the new owners have imprinted their brand on KAHM and co-owned KYCA's web page. Phoenix Radio Broadcasting is owned by CCF. Won't be long now.

Wait a minute...you didn't mention mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting drunk!

Well mama was drunk, the day her station changed its format... :D

Well mama was drunk, the day her station changed its format... :D

LMAO. That's two down, three to go for the perfect Country & Western send-off for KAHM.

LMAO. That's two down, three to go for the perfect Country & Western send-off for KAHM.

Here's how Steve Goodman handled it:

Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got run over by a damned old train

Local Prescott resident and KAHM super celebrity, Viktoria Taylor had a book
signing at a local Prescott business. There were several hundred people waiting
to meet her and purchase a copy of her fast selling book, "Radio, the fact, the
fiction and the misinformation."

Wow -- they gave up. Looks like nothing is standing in the way now for KAHM to move south..Will they keep the Mingus site as an aux?

Wow -- they gave up. Looks like nothing is standing in the way now for KAHM to move south..Will they keep the Mingus site as an aux?

So what will the last song be?

The Last Farewell Roger Whittaker

The Last Song Edward Bear

The Last Waltz Englebert Humpbackwhale

Save The Best For Last Vanessa Williams

I Won't Last A Day Without You The Carpenters

????

So here's another CCF question to ponder: how big of a check did they write to entice KVGG to surrender its license so KAHM can use Towers Mtn? For a non-profit, they sure have a lot of money sitting around.

So here's another CCF question to ponder: how big of a check did they write to entice KVGG to surrender its license so KAHM can use Towers Mtn? For a non-profit, they sure have a lot of money sitting around.

I'm in no position to know things, but Kemp strikes me as someone who comes out ahead on his investments more often than not.

The question I'm still pondering is whether KYCA and its translator end up being spun off at the end of the process or not.

The question I'm still pondering is whether KYCA and its translator end up being spun off at the end of the process or not.

Imagine so. The translator covers Press-kit and Press-kit Valley just fine and with it comes 14~Ninety KYCA. Would the Cohens like another station for their group? Would a bunch of wealthy old geezers buy it to continue Elevator Music as the New KAHM? Can't think of why CCF would keep it as 102~One covers the market. But stranger things happen...like the FOX10 anchor who called the Parada del Sol the Parade-ah del Sol. YIKES!

So what will the last song be?

The Last Farewell Roger Whittaker

The Last Song Edward Bear

The Last Waltz Englebert Humpbackwhale

Save The Best For Last Vanessa Williams

I Won't Last A Day Without You The Carpenters

????
Another One Bites the Dust

Imagine so. The translator covers Press-kit and Press-kit Valley just fine and with it comes 14~Ninety KYCA. Would the Cohens like another station for their group? Would a bunch of wealthy old geezers buy it to continue Elevator Music as the New KAHM? Can't think of why CCF would keep it as 102~One covers the market. But stranger things happen...like the FOX10 anchor who called the Parada del Sol the Parade-ah del Sol. YIKES!

Here's a clue on the KYCA "history" page:

KYCA was part of the Arizona Radio Network and owned by KTAR radio in Phoenix. The station was acquired by Southwest Broadcasting in 1970, and remained under that ownership until 2018, when it was acquired by Phoenix Radio Broadcasting LLC. The station is curently operated by Prescott Broadcasting LLC.

Prescott Broadcasting LLC counts the station's current GM as members; he started his career at the station. I would bet they'll end up owning KYCA before it's all said and done. If that comes to pass, that would be pretty cool.

Just a matter of time before the elevator leaves. CCF has changed call letters of time shared 88~Three from KNAI-FM to KCCF. Guess where the KNAI-FM calls will land next? hmmm..somewhere where it's SPRING in the VALLEY, Arizona.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom