• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC Chairman Pai on Threats Regarding Net Neutrality

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n34946

Wow now a person has been accused of death threats over the Net Neutrality issue and the FCC Chairman had to issue this response.

"Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against a Syracuse man for allegedly threatening to kill Congressman John Katko and his family if he did not support net neutrality. Specifically, federal prosecutors allege that the man left a voicemail at Congressman Katko's office saying, among other things: 'f you don't support net neutrality, I will find you and your family and I will kill . . . you . . . all. Do you understand? I will literally find all . . . of . . . you and your progeny and just wipe you from the face of the earth.'

"I condemn in the strongest possible terms any attempts to intimidate government officials with violent threats, and in particular, efforts to target their families. I would also like to express my sympathy to Congressman Katko and his family and thank law enforcement officials for taking this matter seriously."

These are just my thoughts and may not be the position of Streamline Publishing.

I believe that It's a sad state of affairs when our elected officials get threatened and I strongly condemn it.
It's also a sad state of affairs when our elected (and appointed) officials turn a blind eye to the needs of people and, instead, give preferential status to the big corporations.
I believe that the internet should remain open and companies should not be able to charge more for high-bandwidth websites. The price increase will surely be passed to you and me ... the end users.

Okay. Time to get off my soapbox.

Ajit Pai's FCC has been a positive one, overall, for the broadcast industry. But they're on the wrong side of the argument regarding Net Neutrality. Still, that's no reason to issue death threats.

Totally agree. I would like to think that no matter how vehemently we might disagree with
one another about politics, death threats are off the table.

https://www.recode.net/2018/1/4/16850956/fcc-chairman-ajit-pai-ces-death-threats

Here is an update

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai canceled his scheduled appearance at a major upcoming tech industry trade show after receiving death threats, two agency sources told Recode on Thursday.

It’s the second known incident in which Pai’s safety may have been at risk, after a bomb threat abruptly forced the chairman to halt his controversial vote to scrap the U.S. government’s net neutrality rules in December 2017.

For both Pai and the whole of the FCC, the uptick in security concerns also presents a serious challenge to their ability to discuss critical tech policy issues in public view — without jeopardizing their safety or the wellbeing of others in attendance.

In this case, the exact nature of the threat, made in advance of Pai’s fireside chat at the 2018 International CES, isn’t clear. A spokesman for Pai at the FCC only said Thursday: “We do not comment on security measures or concerns.”

But sources at the agency said that federal law enforcement had intervened in the matter, and other FCC offices are expected to be briefed on the matter. The FBI did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.

A spokeswoman for the Consumer Technology Association, which puts on the annual Las Vegas-based trade show, also declined to comment. Earlier, though, CTA’s leader, Gary Shapiro, told the publication Digital Trends that he did not know why Pai had canceled — but raised the fact that he had recently been “subject to vicious and direct attacks and threats.”

For months, Pai has been hounded by his critics, who view his vote to repeal net neutrality rules as tantamount to destroying the internet. The FCC chairman has lamented that he and his family have been mocked, attacked and threatened, in public as well as on Twitter, where Pai himself is active.

Totally agree. I would like to think that no matter how vehemently we might disagree with
one another about politics, death threats are off the table.

I would just add that there is always at least one individual pissed off about something or other that they threaten someone else with violence. I don't think this particular event represents a general feeling HOWEVER history tells us that as soon as a majority of citizens feel they have no voice in their own determination and the people who do are not listening violence will surely follow. Today it is Iran's people. Tomorrow the FCC?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom