• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Trying to find a song on rotation in the early 1990s

blaskisic

Hello.
This is my first post - and, sadly, it's a bit out of left field. A cry for help, if you will.

I wonder if anybody here has any contacts at The Wave FM 94.7. In the early 90s I was one of their avid listeners. There was one song in particular which caught my ear, but I was never able to note its name, or its author/performer.

I have Googled to no avail, and gone through all the Wave Aid CDs released through the years, unsuccessfully.

The station has a searchable feature for their playlists, but it doesn't go that far back. I even tried the Billboard charts, but I came up empty-handed.

The problem is that I don't have a solid way to describe the song, other than it's melodic with guitar and percussion. I know this is needle-in-haystack territory, but am hoping someone here can track it down somehow - old playlists, anything…

Sorry for taking up your time on this weird quest - and thankful in advance, if anybody can help me.

Cheers!
BK

Hello.
This is my first post - and, sadly, it's a bit out of left field. A cry for help, if you will.

I wonder if anybody here has any contacts at The Wave FM 94.7. In the early 90s I was one of their avid listeners. There was one song in particular which caught my ear, but I was never able to note its name, or its author/performer.

I have Googled to no avail, and gone through all the Wave Aid CDs released through the years, unsuccessfully.

The station has a searchable feature for their playlists, but it doesn't go that far back. I even tried the Billboard charts, but I came up empty-handed.

The problem is that I don't have a solid way to describe the song, other than it's melodic with guitar and percussion. I know this is needle-in-haystack territory, but am hoping someone here can track it down somehow - old playlists, anything…

Sorry for taking up your time on this weird quest - and thankful in advance, if anybody can help me.

Cheers!
BK

I hate when that happens. You (sorta) know the song, you want the song, you need the song, you just can't remember or describe the song. And no one else knows what the hell you are talking about.

Sorry, wish I could help. I would offer "Captain of her Heart"by Double, but you said it was a guitar song from the 90's and my suggestion is for a piano song from '85. See what sort of useless help you get when you do try? Like I said, I hate when that happens. I wish you luck my friend.

KTWV was new age / jazz I believe in the 90's. Maybe a Chris Isaak song? "Can't Do A Thing to Stop Me"? (1993) or "Wicked Game" (1991)

I remember looking for a song that was on my dad's Ampex reel to reel tape that got worn out over time (well the first song or two) and it took me years (nearly 20 after it was originally recorded in 1973) to locate. I finally found it, well before the music catalogs of the internet. It was a Staple Singers B-side, from a 1973 45, "Love Comes In All Colors".....good song!

Good luck!

Last edited:
KTWV was new age / jazz I believe in the 90's.

KRWV switched to "The Wave" with mostly New Age in 1987; the smooth jazz term was applied a number of years later as a marketing device.

I find it a little hard to consider it real "jazz" at any time in its existence.

Can't help with your quest, but I've been there. In the late '90s I heard a song in my local Starbucks and didn't know who it was (just a nice female voice, sort of folk/rock, and a live recording)...heard it again a few days later there, but it was a good dozen years before I thought of the song again. I recalled a line in the chorus, but that wasn't the title...with some Google lyric searching, I finally found it. Totally obscure tune - "Where Were You?" by Jonatha Brooke (had never even heard of her) - and it was as good as I remembered!

I remember reading a column in the Hartford Courant years ago about a similar quest. A woman had heard a haunting instrumental rendition of Don McLean's "Vincent" on a "beautiful music" station and wanted to track down the artist. She called the radio station, but they couldn't help her. Friends suggested Chet Atkins; she found the recording, listened to it, but no, it wasn't Chet's version that she'd heard. I never saw a follow-up column, so I assume she may have gone to her grave never knowing who that recording of "Vincent" was by. I'd imagine it was by one of those orchestras that ground out hundreds of customized recordings of contemporary songs for soft music stations back in the day.

John Paul, Jonatha Brooke was maybe the 5th or 6th artist ever played after the launch of FM 101.9 on 7/1/1994 IIRC; I don't think it was that song

John Paul, Jonatha Brooke was maybe the 5th or 6th artist ever played after the launch of FM 101.9 on 7/1/1994 IIRC; I don't think it was that song

Hi John - Yeah, I didn't recognize her name when I finally tracked down the song, but the tune definitely had a 101.9 kind of vibe to it. The studio version came out in '95, but the live version I heard was released in '99...surprised I didn't know her from the KSCA days, since I listened to them from nearly day one until the end.

This even happens in the internet era. I recently heard a great jazz-oriented pop song in the bathroom of a restaurant of all places. At the time, I was standing at the porcelain appliance doing the obvious. Naturally, I have "Shazam," so I whipped out my phone with my uh...unoccupied hand, and aimed it at the ceiling speaker. No result - too much background noise, I guess. So after I was done, I actually climbed onto the toilet seat to get my phone closer to the speaker, and tried again, but the song was just fading out. Guess I'll never know.

Also if you have "SoundHound" try humming the song into the app....it might come back with the title.

Supposedly, you can type some of the lyrics (if you know any of them) into the youtube search engine. I have never tried that myself, but saw a comment from someone who did.

That will usually work on any search engine, too. The big thing, of course, is that you've got to get the lyrics right. Wrong words will bring useless results. Neither method is any good when you're trying to identify an instrumental, though. I've got several running through my head -- they've been there for decades -- that I know I'll never be able to identify because I have no idea of the artists and I can't carry a tune in the proverbial bucket.

Entirely instrumental, a typical track of The Wave at that time. Not really hummable, more of a mood piece.

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom