• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CNN's Acosta banned by White House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Rather tried it once with Nixon and it didn't go well then either. "Are you running for something, Mr. Rather?" "No sir, are you?"

Hmm. I understand Trump doesn't care for CNN, but yet he continues to call on him, fully expecting a conflict. I guess this is what the POTUS enjoys.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/tr...list-jim-acosta-you-are-rude-terrible-n933571

Many times the reporters will shout their questions the prez or his staff them calling on them, CNN's April Ryan did it later in this same press conference, yelling over a different reporter that was called on, and its mostly tv reporters that do this for tv.

He called on him and answered his question. Then he said he was done and Acosta refused to hand the microphone to the WH employee.

Acosta has no inherent right to be given a WH Press Pass. CNN still has reporters in the WH Press Corps. I suspect his pass will be restored after a few days.

He didn't answer the question, he instead engaged in an argument. It was contentious from the first words and escalated from there. The woman who came for the mic wasn't an employee, but an intern. Why they put an intern in such a position is beyond me. The White House has control over that mic, and they could have cut the audio from it if they chose. That's not what they chose to do.

The White House Press Corps has had reporters who have argued with presidents before. Sam Donaldson and Dan Rather to name a couple. They never had their passes suspended.

So today the White House has released a "doctored" video that they say justifies their suspension of Jim Acosta:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...deo-support-punishment-journalist-jim-acosta/

The problem is that everyone else has a different video. So they continue promoting "alternate facts" in order to support their false narrative.

Apparently, the source of this doctored video is InfoWars!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...cretary-sarah-sanders-shared-doctored-n933911

How should the media deal with a white house that creates its own fake news? Do they think no one else has the original video?

I wonder if this is just the first shot by Trump to rid the press corps of reporters/media he doesn't like.

I wonder if this is just the first shot by Trump to rid the press corps of reporters/media he doesn't like.

Are you kidding? Trump loves being a bully and a showman. He's obviously having the time of his life with this. He needs the reporters and, frankly, the reporters' employers, regardless of their political leanings, need him. Trump drives the ratings of all the networks' news operations.

Trump drives the ratings of all the networks' news operations.

Not in this house he doesn't. The moment his lying face appears on my screen the channel gets changed or the power button gets hit. I don't watch the president for the same reasons I don't tolerate Fox News.

Are you kidding? Trump loves being a bully and a showman. He's obviously having the time of his life with this. He needs the reporters and, frankly, the reporters' employers, regardless of their political leanings, need him.

In other words, he enjoyed being "Acostad."

Not in this house he doesn't. The moment his lying face appears on my screen the channel gets changed or the power button gets hit. I don't watch the president for the same reasons I don't tolerate Fox News.

One of the things I loved in my nearly three decades of voting in Puerto Rico is that there were always more than two parties. Three to five could be the choices, and it made for very different electronic media coverage: there was far less identification of each news outlet with a single party and movement and more objective reporting. Stations knew that party affiliation could be fluid and many voters split their ticket.

There were no Jim Acostas and no Tucker Carlsons and Rachael Madows.

Instead, we have to choose between Trump & Ted or Maxine, Alexandria and Nancy.

This sort of thing makes the media adversarial rather than objective with the ratings battle based on affiliation rather than competence.

Journalists should not give more fuel to such accusations. Ask tough questions, avoid making statements or arguing during a press event and report the news, don’t become the news."

All great advice....what do they say about dealing with a government that consistently lies to you, and consistently quotes conspiracy theorists rather than their own taxpayer-funded experts. No one is telling us the information we depend on the government to provide.

Jim Acosta is increasingly becoming CNN's version of Sean Hannity or Rachel Maddow , I wouldn't want either Hannity or Maddow sitting in the WH pressroom asking "questions" to a president or press secretary.

All great advice....what do they say about dealing with a government that consistently lies to you, and consistently quotes conspiracy theorists rather than their own taxpayer-funded experts. No one is telling us the information we depend on the government to provide.

You should email you question to them, the Poynter Institute is world renowned in Journalism. A good investigative journalist uncovers facts, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein didn't rely on Nixon or his press secretary to uncover Watergate.

Acosta has no inherent right to be given a WH Press Pass.

Apparently CNN feels that is not true. They filed a lawsuit against Trump and the WH Press Secretary.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/cn...rump-administration-over-jim-acosta-s-n935621

In my view, this is long overdue. The president hasn't acted in a manner that deserves respect. There should have been more of these suits. Whenever he makes unprovoked and unsubstantiated attacks on people or companies, they should file a suit.

CNN can 'feel' what it wants. It may even get a District Court that ignores the law to agree. The WH still won't issue a pass and, once this completes appeals, the right of the WH to issue passes as it sees fit will then be a precedent.

That'll be the end of these lawsuits that you seem to be such a fan of.

CNN can 'feel' what it wants. It may even get a District Court that ignores the law to agree. The WH still won't issue a pass and, once this completes appeals, the right of the WH to issue passes as it sees fit will then be a precedent.

The WH has no such right. If a reporter qualifies, he is credentialed. From CNN.com:

The code of federal regulations states that "in granting or denying a request for a security clearance made in response to an application for a White House press pass, officials of the Secret Service will be guided solely by the principle of whether the applicant presents a potential source of physical danger to the President and/or the family of the President so serious as to justify his or her exclusion from White House press privileges."

They go on to say that if a pass is denied or suspended, the reporter has a right to contest. That's called due process.

What made this even worse was Sanders tweeting a doctored video from InfoWars. The premise of the suspension is a lie.

A number of legal scholars have talked about the Constitutional issue of a head of government calling the media the "enemy of the people," and using the power of the federal government against media companies. At some point, this needs to go to the courts.

Last edited:

You must not watch much CNN then. I was recently subjected to around an hour of their morning show at a restaurant. It was nothing but all-Trump-all-the-time. They hated his guts for sure, but it was all about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom