• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New South Radio sells WSFZ

New South Radio is finally able to do something with one of its AM stations: WSFZ will be sold to SSR Communications (which owns WYAB).

Hey all -

Yes, the plan is to do a near-100% simulcast of WYAB 103.9 FM, splitting off on occasion for sports broadcasts so that our regular talk programming can continue on one signal whenever a game is on the other. We are trying to get the feed up and running this week, but we'll see.

--- Casual Observer

Hey all -

Yes, the plan is to do a near-100% simulcast of WYAB 103.9 FM, splitting off on occasion for sports broadcasts so that our regular talk programming can continue on one signal whenever a game is on the other. We are trying to get the feed up and running this week, but we'll see.

--- Casual Observer

Still gonna have LSU, Grizzlies and Falcons?

I'm curious, I'm not sure anything can be done, but is there any way the signal for WSFZ 930 could be improved? it used to have one of the better signals in Jackson. second only to WJDX and and later WJNT. But since they moved the tower the signal has gone downhill. IIRC it used to be 5000 watts 24/7. It's now at 3700 watts day 60 watts at night. It doesn't sound like 3700 watts at my home in Rankin county I can barely hear it through the noise floor. According the the coverage map it shouldn't be much different from what it used to be before it moved. It's just not loud enough to get past the static, which has really gotten worse in recent years. I can get the translator a little but it's sandwiched between 106.7 and 107.5 which overlaps and completely wipes it out except when tuned on a very sensitive or selective radio. I'm not an engineer but I've always wondered why the signal drop when the tower site was moved only a short distance. It would be nice to see it have a little more nightime power as well but I don't know if that would be possible since they took down the directional array. I noticed that WOAD also dropped both day and night power as well. It used to be 5,000 day 1000 watts at night. The only reliable AM signals I can get listenable reception anymore is WJDX, WIIN, WSJC and WJNT. Everything else is either low power, off the air or broke down. BTW I'm digging the oldies that's being played. I just wish there wasn't so much static.

I'm curious, I'm not sure anything can be done, but is there any way the signal for WSFZ 930 could be improved? it used to have one of the better signals in Jackson. second only to WJDX and and later WJNT. But since they moved the tower the signal has gone downhill. IIRC it used to be 5000 watts 24/7. It's now at 3700 watts day 60 watts at night. It doesn't sound like 3700 watts at my home in Rankin county I can barely hear it through the noise floor. According the the coverage map it shouldn't be much different from what it used to be before it moved. It's just not loud enough to get past the static, which has really gotten worse in recent years. I can get the translator a little but it's sandwiched between 106.7 and 107.5 which overlaps and completely wipes it out except when tuned on a very sensitive or selective radio. I'm not an engineer but I've always wondered why the signal drop when the tower site was moved only a short distance. It would be nice to see it have a little more nightime power as well but I don't know if that would be possible since they took down the directional array. I noticed that WOAD also dropped both day and night power as well. It used to be 5,000 day 1000 watts at night. The only reliable AM signals I can get listenable reception anymore is WJDX, WIIN, WSJC and WJNT. Everything else is either low power, off the air or broke down. BTW I'm digging the oldies that's being played. I just wish there wasn't so much static.

WSFZ can't improve the AM signal with the existing tower arrangement. The original WSLI site used a 4 tower directional array at night that sent the signal due south. Years ago, you could listen to WSLI in New Orleans at night, but those days are long gone. The current site uses one tower for WSFZ/WOAD/WIIN with a very complex combining system. Building a new directional array for WSFZ would cost an insane amount of money.

WSFZ now has oldies?

Oldies is just a temporary format for now, though it is growing on me. No stunting intended... just repurposing an old automation system from when WYAB was on 93.1 FM and known as "B93" from 2003-2008. I thought it would work on the 930 frequency for awhile with the limited amount of old imaging without sounding too silly. I am working on a new format now, but am also taking suggestions seriously if anyone has one.

--- Casual Observer

Oldies is just a temporary format for now, though it is growing on me. No stunting intended... just repurposing an old automation system from when WYAB was on 93.1 FM and known as "B93" from 2003-2008. I thought it would work on the 930 frequency for awhile with the limited amount of old imaging without sounding too silly. I am working on a new format now, but am also taking suggestions seriously if anyone has one.

--- Casual Observer

As expected, WSFZ is now simulcasting WYAB.

Hey all -

--- Casual Observer

Friday nights would be a good night to carry the Braves on 930/107.1 while the high school football game is on 103.9. Also, now that The River 105.1 has run dry and 87.7 possibly being regulated off the air, 930/107.1 might do well to fill that programming niche, while still splitting off for overflow broadcast from WYAB.

Friday nights would be a good night to carry the Braves on 930/107.1 while the high school football game is on 103.9. Also, now that The River 105.1 has run dry and 87.7 possibly being regulated off the air, 930/107.1 might do well to fill that programming niche, while still splitting off for overflow broadcast from WYAB.

That is the plan, but things are moving more slowly that I had hoped! The exact concept that you had laid out is a priority though.

--- Casual Observer

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom