• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings Spring 19

As I predicted WJMN is crashing and burning with this Ashlee nonsense. She’s corny and unlikeable. The music is unlistenable. I cannot wait for JAMN 945 to be no more. They have almost zero social media following. It’s 95%+ just their own djs and mixers interacting with their pages and a few bits, an occasional white suburban woman every few months will comment. It’s insane that it’s this regions only hip hop outlet when there are hip hop acts out of Boston getting played on other stations around the country (including NYC and Miami) and signed to major labels.

As I predicted WJMN is crashing and burning with this Ashlee nonsense. She’s corny and unlikeable.

Strange, I think she’s fun and relatable.

While the station is definitely in trouble, I think Ashlee is one of the better things on that station!

Also, I have not seem a demo/daypart breakdown of the morning show with the change since “The Breakfast Club” (which I though was awful).

Ashlee just got onto the morning show and It’s not fair to make a blanket judgement that she is a problem there.

I am guessing the music, positioning and promotion are the problems

Last edited:
It seems clear as day to me that stations like 'ODS and 'JMN are suffering from a serious lack of listernership with 12-17 year olds - despite the immense popularity of hip-hop and pop music within the demo. In other words - the kids aren't tuning in! But really, why should they? The internet and streaming satisfies every facet of what's timely and relevant to pop and hip-hop consumption for today's teens without the banter and commercials - all on-demand and amenable to their limited attention span.

Kiss's position as a top rated CHR I suppose is still fueled by Matty's show in addition to the station's 35 year heritage in the market. Hertitage plus clever programming to iHeart's credit that 18-34's listen to with its friendly mix of currents and golds throughout the day.

As radio listernership continues to skew toward a predominantly-older audience, how will the industry adapt?

The internet and streaming satisfies every facet of what's timely and relevant to pop and hip-hop consumption for today's teens without the banter and commercials - all on-demand and amenable to their limited attention span.

If you're talking streaming on-demand, that typically requires a subscription. Digital music royalties are increasing every year. Those costs get passed on to users. So yes, music is available on demand without commercials and banter, but it comes with a price that not every young person is willing to pay. For them, radio is cheap, easy, and plays the songs they want to hear.

Strange, I think she’s fun and relatable.

While the station is definitely in trouble, I think Ashlee is one of the better things on that station!

Also, I have not seem a demo/daypart breakdown of the morning show with the change since “The Breakfast Club” (which I though was awful).

Ashlee just got onto the morning show and It’s not fair to make a blanket judgement that she is a problem there.

I am guessing the music, positioning and promotion are the problems

I searched “Ashlee jamn” on Twitter. Here are the results.

“I really can't stand Ashlee from Jamn 94.5”

“heard they finally took that Ashlee troll off of Jamn back home. she was so annoying, lmfao. got an entire staff to switch stations ????*”

“That awkward moment when you ask your uber driver if he listens to JAMN and he says, "no I can't stand that Ashlee girl." ????* me too man”

“They really put Ashlee back on the morning show on jamn? She’s mad cornyyyyy broooo... especially when she tries to use hood or hip hip lingo ?”

“Cause jamn sucks and put annoying ass ashlee on the morning. I’m streaming breakfast club from iHeartRadio radio cause f*ck that”

Those are all the tweets relating to her on air performance. That’s it.

To young people who enjoy and or know hip hop she sounds like a suburban girl trying to be down and that is why she was removed in he first place. JAMN has had a bad rep in and around Boston for a decade.

Last edited:
WZMX Hartford and Hot97 NYC KMEL San Francisco are popular and well received rhymthmic with ratings twice as high as JAMN. It’s just a bad station-it rehires no further explanation. That is why it is 2.0. You don’t get to be a 2.0 as a rhythmic in a major market unless you’re simply poor quality and or unrelatable to your audience-for many yet WJMN was a top 20 station. For at least 5 years it’s been 16-19. Whereas WXMX is often #1 in the Hartford market which isn’t that radically different than Boston demographically. It’s markedly worse in terms of new music and variety than even Hot 106 in Providence.

The Bay Area is less black than the Boston area and has one of the most acclaimed rhythmics in the country. Its just a slack of effort, poor programming and a blatant denial of what the hip hop listening population wants to hear. Dylan Sprague is not the guy.

Well, that settles it then! Twitter is the definitive source! ;-)

Who knows if these are the listeners they are trying to attract, or the old listeners that are no longer their target?

I would say that going from Charlamagne Tha God to Ashlee in the morning HAS TO be pissing some people off.

Ashlee/JAMN

The ratings crashed for a reason the first time Ashlee was put in mornings. Being "likable" is subjective but I agree that she doesn't come across very likable on the radio, although when I have tuned in for a segment or two recently she does seem a bit more subdued than the obnoxious "cool girl" personality that she had in her previous failed run in morning drive. I have not listened much lately though.

It was a terrible move letting their entire morning show go to Hot 96.9. You don't have to be a radio genius to know that Ramiro is a talented performer- far better than Ashlee and Frankie V and the current crew of sidekicks they have with Ashlee now. He left and so did the listeners.

The ratings crashed for a reason the first time Ashlee was put in mornings. Being "likable" is subjective but I agree that she doesn't come across very likable on the radio, although when I have tuned in for a segment or two recently she does seem a bit more subdued than the obnoxious "cool girl" personality that she had in her previous failed run in morning drive. I have not listened much lately though.

It was a terrible move letting their entire morning show go to Hot 96.9. You don't have to be a radio genius to know that Ramiro is a talented performer- far better than Ashlee and Frankie V and the current crew of sidekicks they have with Ashlee now. He left and so did the listeners.

Ramiro is outstanding. Real Boston area gem.

It’s insane that it’s this regions only hip hop outlet when there are hip hop acts out of Boston getting played on other stations around the country (including NYC and Miami) and signed to major labels.

Huh? Doesn't 96.9 play (some) Hip-Hop?

I remember when WJMN used to be a ~4.5 share radio station. Times sure have changed!

“I really can't stand Ashlee from Jamn 94.5”

“heard they finally took that Ashlee troll off of Jamn back home. she was so annoying, lmfao. got an entire staff to switch stations ????*”

“That awkward moment when you ask your uber driver if he listens to JAMN and he says, "no I can't stand that Ashlee girl." ????* me too man”

“They really put Ashlee back on the morning show on jamn? She’s mad cornyyyyy broooo... especially when she tries to use hood or hip hip lingo ?”

“Cause jamn sucks and put annoying ass ashlee on the morning. I’m streaming breakfast club from iHeartRadio radio cause f*ck that”

Those are all the tweets relating to her on air performance. That’s it.

To young people who enjoy and or know hip hop she sounds like a suburban girl trying to be down and that is why she was removed in he first place. JAMN has had a bad rep in and around Boston for a decade.

In morning drive, Jamn has a mid-five figure audience every week.

You don't like it, fine...but your dislike and five tweets aren't evidence. And unless you somehow magically became Jamn's program director, you have no idea why she was removed.

Once upon a time, Jam'n almost beat Kiss in the ratings.

They have been co-owned for many decades. They were meant to complement each other. At that time it didn't matter much if Jam'n beat Kiss, as long as they were both doing well and near the top as they both were then. All the revenue went to the same place.

However, Jam'n hasn't been near the top in the all-ages for many years, but at work I recently got a glance at other breakdowns not published to the public. I can't legally post any numbers I saw, I'll just say that you'd be surprised at how much better some stations that appear not to be doing well in the all-ages are doing in certain demos and time periods that really matter.

They have been co-owned for many decades. They were meant to complement each other. At that time it didn't matter much if Jam'n beat Kiss, as long as they were both doing well and near the top as they both were then. All the revenue went to the same place.

Yes, this just right before Kiss bought them.

ummmm,,,,

However, Jam'n hasn't been near the top in the all-ages for many years, but at work I recently got a glance at other breakdowns not published to the public. I can't legally post any numbers I saw, I'll just say that you'd be surprised at how much better some stations that appear not to be doing well in the all-ages are doing in certain demos and time periods that really matter.

I'm sorry based on their signal and reach-- if WJMN isn't in the top 3 Persons 18-34 then they're losing BIG TIME (hint, WJMN isn't there if WBQT, WXKS, WODS is dominating the 6plus numbers)
Don't know why people are over reaching to defend the poor performance of WJMN as of the last decade ...As if thinking that dead horse will breathe again as it currently stands....Boston has an urban lifestyle appeal with hispanic & black in the region -- WJMN should be crushing it like NYC or Philly does with their urban/rhythmic urban properties.....just sayin'

Now, that is interesting musiklover! I kinda knew that WJMN was going to be in trouble, when then Greater Media hired John Cadillac McCartney for WBQT as the new PD. Now, as you all might remember, he was originally programing Jam'n after Evergreen was it? took over the station. I just read that he is now programing The Sports Hub also.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom