• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Former Presidential candidate Ross Perot dies at 89

News just reported he died of a secondary infection while being treated for leukemia.

He ran for President as a 3rd party candidate in 1992 and 1996, with relatively more success in '92. He never received any electoral votes.

But he almost certainly pulled enough votes away from the Bush ticket in the close states to swing the '92 election to Clinton. A friend of my father's who'd voted Republican for years switched to Perot and afterward was ruing his choice, although being a New York resident, the Perot votes made no difference in the outcome there.

I'm curious to know how on a live broadcast, Dana Carvey played both him and George H.W. Bush in the debate.

He earned his money in the IT business where he was a pioneer,
part of his story that most people have forgotten about.

He earned his money in the IT business where he was a pioneer,
part of his story that most people have forgotten about.

It makes you wonder what his position would have been on net neutrality, but even if he had won that wasn't an issue yet.

But he almost certainly pulled enough votes away from the Bush ticket in the close states to swing the '92 election to Clinton. A friend of my father's who'd voted Republican for years switched to Perot and afterward was ruing his choice, although being a New York resident, the Perot votes made no difference in the outcome there.
If he had not wavered on running in '92, he might have pulled as much as 25% of the popular vote. As it was, I believe that he got about 19%. By '96, he was a has-been and even got excluded from the debates.

It makes you wonder what his position would have been on net neutrality, but even if he had won that wasn't an issue yet.

Al Gore hadn't invented that part of the internet yet. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom