• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Impending cuts at Entercom Philly?

I've heard of cuts across Atlanta and Dallas, especially with their own classic hits station where two people were let go. I wonder if the same thing will happen in Philly.

If these cuts will occur on all Entercom stations across the country, including Philly(and also my home market of Scr/W-B), pretty soon they would eventually end up like IHeartMedia, where almost all of the stations have their air personalities voicetracked from different markets, even more syndicated shows replacing local content(one example is that our local CHR station owned by them gave up the local 10-2p slot to Ryan Seacrest a few years back). And, god forbid I hope the corporate heads at Entercom don't even think about axing Bob Paterno and his Saturday Night dance show over on 98.1, that would be the saddest thing that would ever happen to Philly radio.

I always thought that Entercom would be a better radio company because of more local content than its competitors, but given the recent trend of nationwide cuts, it would perhaps shift its focus to more and more syndication.

They’ve already made some adjustments. 1210 ditches a couple of salaries by moving the afternoon show to mornings and reinstating Hannity live. They moved Angel Donato from overnights at 101 to evenings at 98.

That’s not to say they can’t or shouldn’t look at the total operational picture and adjust as appropriate. Just because CBS did it one way, as part of a cluster with TV, doesn’t mean it’s the model Entercom is obligated to follow.

The thing to know is Entercom, unlike iHeart, doesn't own a radio syndication company. So carrying syndication will cost them money, by replacing local spots with barter spots required by syndication. So they stay away from those kinds of deals.

I suppose WPHT qualifies by cutting a local show. But on the music side locally—nada.

Notice WIP has opted to carry more and more Westwood one live event programing, especially on weekends over having onair hosts. One example of this was during March madness every evening they aired NCAA games, whereas in the past they didn't. This included this yrs Phillies opening day game. With all the excitement surrounding Harper's debut and the team's supposed improvements...., when the Phillies ended their programing, WIP decided to go straight to a national NCAA game that had no local ties at all rather then do sports talk, which is what their format is.

They also ditched wingbowl to save money, but most people are probably happy about that.

Does 'PHT stay with Sid and Sinatra? It seems to be on during a harmless time slot but is it a money maker...even a little bit? I'm hoping when it ends it will be Sid's choice. Tradition has to mean something...doesn't it?

Does 'PHT stay with Sid and Sinatra? It seems to be on during a harmless time slot but is it a money maker...even a little bit? I'm hoping when it ends it will be Sid's choice. Tradition has to mean something...doesn't it?

Sid Mark is still doing Sundays With Sinatra. They cut Fridays With Frank a while back. Plus he was just nominated for the National Radio Hall of Fame.

Notice WIP has opted to carry more and more Westwood one live event programing, especially on weekends over having onair hosts. One example of this was during March madness every evening they aired NCAA games, whereas in the past they didn't. This included this yrs Phillies opening day game. With all the excitement surrounding Harper's debut and the team's supposed improvements...., when the Phillies ended their programing, WIP decided to go straight to a national NCAA game that had no local ties at all rather then do sports talk, which is what their format is.

They also ditched wingbowl to save money, but most people are probably happy about that.

I'm reasonably sure I recall seeing schedules that included the NCAA tournament, as well as Sunday Night Football, long before Entercom. I don't think that's new. And the format is sports, inclusive of events and talk.

I'm reasonably sure I recall seeing schedules that included the NCAA tournament, as well as Sunday Night Football, long before Entercom. I don't think that's new. And the format is sports, inclusive of events and talk.

Has always aired Sunday/Monday night football. Under CBS it had a specialized NCAA intro for it's 20/20 update, but did not air nightly tournament games. Perhaps on weekends it always did.

Has always aired Sunday/Monday night football. Under CBS it had a specialized NCAA intro for it's 20/20 update, but did not air nightly tournament games. Perhaps on weekends it always did.

It may well have been weekends---and I would guess perhaps the championship(?).

I would also suggest Wing Bowl had lived until its original stated purpose, and honestly, beyond its useful life. Not that it doesn't save money, but sometimes promotions do end regardless, and a fair argument could be made the Super Bowl championship provided the cover to end it, regardless of what happened with ownership.

A couple cuts at 1210.:

In the latest cutbacks at Entercom’s Philadelphia cluster, Jared Hart has exited WPHT (1210) after Entercom eliminated the Program Director position at the talk station. Spike Eskin, PD at sports sister WIP-FM (94.1), will handle talent coaching and Production Director Frank Canale will cover other details.

In May WPHT added the Compass Media-syndicated “The Joe Pags Show” (Joe Pagliarulo) to nights, completing a line-up revamp that has Rich Zeoli anchoring mornings and the Premiere Networks-syndicated Sean Hannity replacing Zeoli in afternoons. Hannity is sandwiched between fellow syndicated conservative talkers Rush Limbaugh (12-3pm) and Mark Levin (6-9pm). The station now only carries local programming daily from 5:30am noon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom