• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1040

cyberdad

Administrator
Staff member
Far northwest Chicago metro....

A really easy one for me this week.

Days: Splatter from local WNVR (1030)

Nights: 1040 is all WHO. Usually with a good signal.

Retro: WHO used to make it in here once in a while. Typically wintertime, but I've heard them at other times of the year.

Other Location: WHO is probably the station I've heard most often on both the east and west coasts. Closer to home....Based on my own experiences, I'm comfortable in estimating that I'm probably about 30-40 miles east of where WHO becomes reliable daytime on a regular basis.

In the near north Chicago suburbs 1040 is WNVR splatter during the day. Before WNVR I could hear WHO during the day on a good radio.
At night WHO has a good signal here.

From 25 miles SW of downtown KC in south Overland Park:

Day: A weak WHO with splatter from near local KCWJ on 1030 Khz.

Critical Hours: WHO, the most listenable time for this station at my location.

Night: WHO but shortly past critical hours they become almost unlistenable with heavy fading. I presume I am in the cancellation zone. I am 190 miles from their transmitter site.

Bob

East Tennessee: Nothing terribly exciting on 1040. Days, it's local WJBE (named after legendary musician James Brown's own Knoxville station). At night, WHO.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: nothing except for splatter from WNVR
Nightime: WHO with solid signal

DX/RETRO: DX catche3s include WBZW (Powell, TN), WHBO (Pinellas Park, FL), WJOR (St. Jospeh, TN), WJTB (N> Ridgeville, OH), WPBS (Conyers, GA), CIOF (Vancouver, BC), CHRS (Longuevil, PQ), HJAI Radio Tropical (Barranquilla, Colombia), HION Radio Centro (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic). Back in 1987 Cuba used this frequency for their tourist station Radio Taino and then in 1989 as a relay for Radio Moscow World Service with high powered transmitters. Both heard easily in the Chicago area. I remember articles in newspapers from that era with complaints by WHO about the Cuban interference.

Here in Fustville PA, 1040 has treated me well.

Daytime, long ago, it was a weak WSKE Everett PA. In later times, it was WNJO from NJ.

Sunset brought in, three years apart, WSGH from NC and WYSL from upstate NY.

One Auroral night, in came WYFX from Boynton Beach. Three of us DXers were waving around my shiny new GE Superadio II outside to ID them away from the inside noise -- while three cop cars were across the street investigating a house burglary. Sheesh.

Nighttimes very usually is WHO, though. All of those aforementioned stations have to protect Des Moines, because WHO was on first

Back in 1987 Cuba used this frequency for their tourist station Radio Taino and then in 1989 as a relay for Radio Moscow World Service with high powered transmitters. [/QUOTE]

I remember these. Didn't they also use 830 at least for R. Taino at one time? I seem to remember hearing R. Taino on the beach (Pensacola/Gulf Shores) during daytime on 830. What I'm certain I do remember is the English part of their broadcast being lame almost to the point of comical.

As for 1040 these days in that part of the world, WHBO makes the daytime hop across the gulf. At night, it's mostly WHO....sometimes mixing with Spanish.

Radio Taino in English (at least partly) was on 890, doing a number on WLS as close as Lafayette IN for a time in the mid 90s.

Back in 1987 Cuba used this frequency for their tourist station Radio Taino and then in 1989 as a relay for Radio Moscow World Service with high powered transmitters.

I remember these. Didn't they also use 830 at least for R. Taino at one time? I seem to remember hearing R. Taino on the beach (Pensacola/Gulf Shores) during daytime on 830. What I'm certain I do remember is the English part of their broadcast being lame almost to the point of comical.

As for 1040 these days in that part of the world, WHBO makes the daytime hop across the gulf. At night, it's mostly WHO....sometimes mixing with Spanish.[/QUOTE]

Mason City, IA:
Dubya H Oh! from Des Moines, all day/night

Central KS:
Decent signal from the above, though not overly strong like a local.

Radio Taino in English (at least partly) was on 890, doing a number on WLS as close as Lafayette IN for a time in the mid 90s.

Yes I remember that as well. And of course all the way back in 1981 Radio Moscow used the reported 150kW transmitter in Cuba to broadcast their Radio Moscow English service to North America on 600 kHz. I remember one day in 1981 driving in downtown Chicago on Lake Shore Drive tuning the car radio to AM 600 and surprising the other passengers in the car.

Yes I remember that as well. And of course all the way back in 1981 Radio Moscow used the reported 150kW transmitter in Cuba to broadcast their Radio Moscow English service to North America on 600 kHz. I remember one day in 1981 driving in downtown Chicago on Lake Shore Drive tuning the car radio to AM 600 and surprising the other passengers in the car.

Yes, that Radio Moscow signal on 600 in the early 80s was quite strong at night in the midwest.

West Houston, daytime is all slop from semilocal 1050 and KCTA down in Corpus Christi. WHO starts to come in close to sunset and is on top until sunrise when the aforementioned 1050 and 1030 sign on. I have possibly heard gospel KGGR from Dallas around sunset but never a positive ID.

Warminster PA(Philly 'burbs):

Daytime: semi-local WCHR from Flemington NJ.
Night: also WCHR, with WHO or maybe a Spanish station occasionally overpowering it.

And of course all the way back in 1981 Radio Moscow used the reported 150kW transmitter in Cuba to broadcast their Radio Moscow English service to North America on 600 kHz. I remember one day in 1981 driving in downtown Chicago on Lake Shore Drive tuning the car radio to AM 600 and surprising the other passengers in the car.

I also remember that. R. Moscow via Cuba on 600 even blasted on the cheap little clock radio I had in the bedroom.

Days its local WPBS AM (not to be confused with WPBS TV) out of Conyers GA. It's an Asian formatted station. Station is visible on I-20 East out of Atlanta. At one time it was on 1050 but was moved to give more clearance to WKNG 1060 Talapoosa GA.
Nights its WHO.

Days...Nothing

Nights...WHO from Des Moines Iowa. The signal travels 1545 miles to my location on a regular bases, all times of the year ( obviously winter being the best ). Very impressive signal!!! The fade is the only thing that makes listening to programs, a challenge. The fade can last anywhere from 15 seconds, up to 45 seconds. In all fairness, AM 640 KFi from Los Angeles has nasty fade too, but it will dip down low and return to full strengthen much sooner. WHO was first long distance catch beyond 1500 miles, until I grabbed AM 870 WWL out of New Orleans. All catches I've done, have been off the radios stock AM antenna.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom