• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Culver City's Radio Station

Will 15~Hundred ever return to the air? The partnership who has the CP for KWIF Culver City was going to tri-plex on KWKW's sticks, but lost out to KABC. Now they want to put up two new sticks and use the existing stick at Montecito Heights (the former 11~Fifty site). The latest application calls for 400 watts day and 1kw at night. Since the frequency went silent in 1984, numerous battles have kept the station off the air. KSPA 15~Ten in Ontario has fought vigorously due to first channel interference issues. And then there was the infamous Ed Stolz. A lot of time and money have been spent trying to get 15~Hundred back on the air. But when you see the coverage map, you'll probably ask "why"?!

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101787986&formid=301&fac_num=161348

I’m more impressed there’s a station in LA that has managed to stay dark for 35 years. You’d have figured someone would’ve run a long wire with 250 watts on top of a building down there in south LA...

Question is: it’s 2019. People are far less interested in AM than they were in ‘84. Especially if it’s a staticky affair. What the heck could they put on the station to make money? It covers a lot of southern/west LA...but that’s it! And good luck trying to pair it with a translator!

I’m more impressed there’s a station in LA that has managed to stay dark for 35 years.

Ed Stolz had the permit to build the station after it went dark, but never got around to it. FCC said "times up" and opened the frequency for bidding. Ed fought that decision tooth and nail, only to be ultimately turned down. Stolz is best known for his war against Entercom, but that's another story.

You’d have figured someone would’ve run a long wire with 250 watts on top of a building down there in south LA...

Before losing the KWKW tri-plex deal, they were going to do just that. But here's the interesting thing about that site - day power of 120 watts and night power of 150 watts!

Question is: it’s 2019. People are far less interested in AM than they were in ‘84. Especially if it’s a staticky affair. What the heck could they put on the station to make money? It covers a lot of southern/west LA...but that’s it! And good luck trying to pair it with a translator!

Believe it or not, they have a permit (contested) for a translator licensed to San Fernando. To resolve objections, their new plan calls for a whopping one watt of power (a mile up, though) https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101800277&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=1 Consider that translator their meal ticket if they sell the station!

These guys like doing things on the small scale!

Ed Stolz had the permit to build the station after it went dark, but never got around to it. FCC said "times up" and opened the frequency for bidding. Ed fought that decision tooth and nail, only to be ultimately turned down. Stolz is best known for his war against Entercom, but that's another story.

Before losing the KWKW tri-plex deal, they were going to do just that. But here's the interesting thing about that site - day power of 120 watts and night power of 150 watts!

Believe it or not, they have a permit (contested) for a translator licensed to San Fernando. To resolve objections, their new plan calls for a whopping one watt of power (a mile up, though) https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101800277&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=1 Consider that translator their meal ticket if they sell the station!

These guys like doing things on the small scale!

The City of LA might take years to approve new towers at 1050 Montecito Dr. Los Angeles.

KWIF-AM has until 04/13/2020 to construct the station.

The City of LA might take years to approve new towers at 1050 Montecito Dr. Los Angeles.

This is the former site of KRKD which became KIIS-AM and then KEIB when it moved to City of Industry at the KTNQ site.

There are (or were...I have not been by the site lately) three towers there. One of about 400 to 450' and two that looked right for 1/4 wave at 1150. But the new application has one tower of about 210' and two of just about 100' each. If they take down the big towers to replace them with the little one, zoning should be easy, just as it would be for adding some small towers to already existing ones.

The facility would only be of value programming to one of the big Asian communities, either Mandarin or Korean speakers.

This is the former site of KRKD which became KIIS-AM and then KEIB when it moved to City of Industry at the KTNQ site.

There are (or were...I have not been by the site lately) three towers there. One of about 400 to 450' and two that looked right for 1/4 wave at 1150. But the new application has one tower of about 210' and two of just about 100' each. If they take down the big towers to replace them with the little one, zoning should be easy, just as it would be for adding some small towers to already existing ones.

The facility would only be of value programming to one of the big Asian communities, either Mandarin or Korean speakers.

David, i checked google maps and the co-ordinates come up as Radio Drive in Los Angeles.. the top of a hill.. i see two different towers there, a pole with 4 bays, a tower with 5 bays and then a short metal pole with 2 bays near a fence. who are they?

But i dont see any am towers there

Wonder if they're going to install a cistern up there like the old KBLA 15~Hundred site in the Verdugo Hills? Nothing like moist soil to boost that ground wave when your sticks are on a hill!

The outer two (newer) towers for 1150 were torn down a few years back, leaving the original center tower behind. This proposal would rebuild the outer towers, albeit as you noted quite short versions this time.

David, i checked google maps and the co-ordinates come up as Radio Drive in Los Angeles.. the top of a hill.. i see two different towers there, a pole with 4 bays, a tower with 5 bays and then a short metal pole with 2 bays near a fence. who are they?

But i dont see any am towers there

Scott has answered the tower question. The site was also used by KFI for several years when their tower in Buena Park came down in an aircraft accident.

There was a pair of short (quarter wave at 1150 I believe) towers with the taller half-wave and FM tower in the middle.

Wonder if they're going to install a cistern up there like the old KBLA 15~Hundred site in the Verdugo Hills? Nothing like moist soil to boost that ground wave when your sticks are on a hill!

Engineers can argue that one for hours. After a period of paying trucks to carry water to a hilltop site I had in Ecuador, I put a meter in my car across the AGC circuit in the car radio to check signal strength "on the cheap". Whether I watered the tower base or not, nothing changed. The determining factor was the ground conductivity of the area, not the surface moisture. And since we had no seasons, there was no way to see if temperature was a factor.; it could go down to freezing at night and up to the high 70s in the daytime, every day!

Will 15~Hundred ever return to the air? The partnership who has the CP for KWIF Culver City was going to tri-plex on KWKW's sticks, but lost out to KABC. Now they want to put up two new sticks and use the existing stick at Montecito Heights (the former 11~Fifty site). The latest application calls for 400 watts day and 1kw at night. Since the frequency went silent in 1984, numerous battles have kept the station off the air. KSPA 15~Ten in Ontario has fought vigorously due to first channel interference issues. And then there was the infamous Ed Stolz. A lot of time and money have been spent trying to get 15~Hundred back on the air. But when you see the coverage map, you'll probably ask "why"?!

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101787986&formid=301&fac_num=161348

Ed Stoltz he's best known for suing Entercom over its Sacramento area cluster prior to Entercom having the former CBS Radio stations. I didn't realize he's viewed as a patent troll in the radio industry via license disputes in other places too besides Sacramento though.

Ed Stoltz he's best known for suing Entercom over its Sacramento area cluster prior to Entercom having the former CBS Radio stations. I didn't realize he's viewed as a patent troll in the radio industry via license disputes in other places too besides Sacramento though.

Ed marches to the beat of his own drum, and seemingly delights in jamming things up for years. Entercom nipped the "Hold Your Wee" brouhaha by wisely surrendering the license, which sent a loud message to the commission that they were responsible owners and worthy of the CBS deal. Stolz was left in the dust on the objection.

As far as 15~Hundred, Ed never got around to building out the station when he received the CP decades ago. I dunno why he didn't move on it, but putting a station on the air at that frequency in el Lay poses many challenges. Perhaps the biggest is finding a large enough shoe horn to squeeze it in somewhere!

Ed marches to the beat of his own drum, and seemingly delights in jamming things up for years. Entercom nipped the "Hold Your Wee" brouhaha by wisely surrendering the license, which sent a loud message to the commission that they were responsible owners and worthy of the CBS deal. Stolz was left in the dust on the objection.

As far as 15~Hundred, Ed never got around to building out the station when he received the CP decades ago. I dunno why he didn't move on it, but putting a station on the air at that frequency in el Lay poses many challenges. Perhaps the biggest is finding a large enough shoe horn to squeeze it in somewhere!

Ed Stolz was at one point in talks to get a station in the Sacramento area like the former KDND Sacramento but Entercom turned over KDND to the FCC and divest other stations in Sacramento and San Francisco most notably due to the CBS Radio deal back in 2017.

But Entercom had changed management over the years since that 2006-2007 incident where a contestant died in the Sacramento area over a stunt gone bad though.

The story that I've heard, from a couple of decades ago, was that Ed was in an on-going dispute with someone who owned the land for the tower site, which prevented 1500 from returning the air.

The story that I've heard, from a couple of decades ago, was that Ed was in an on-going dispute with someone who owned the land for the tower site, which prevented 1500 from returning the air.

If you are referring to the Tujunga Canyon site, the issue was NIMBY and zoning.

If you are referring to the Tujunga Canyon site, the issue was NIMBY and zoning.

NIMBY, zoning, soaring land values, first, second and third channel adjacent issues, plus the cost of putting a new station (marginal signal) on the air. The owners will be spending more building it at the Montecito Heights site than the diplex arrangement with KWKW.

NIMBY, zoning, soaring land values, first, second and third channel adjacent issues, plus the cost of putting a new station (marginal signal) on the air. The owners will be spending more building it at the Montecito Heights site than the diplex arrangement with KWKW.

The Tujunga Canyon location was in the middle of a relatively eclectic "urban refugee" community, much like the Old Topanga area that separates The Valley from PCH. The residents were more likely to have favored something in their lifestyle, like a Birkenstock Outlet Store.

The site, were it permitted to build, would have worked for the FCC. It protected Ontario, Santa Ana and Banning, and was actually fairly close to the old Verdugo mountaintop site ("close" in the LA sense of distance, not in the Quartzite sense of the word).

https://radioink.com/2019/07/10/stolz-stymied-three-more-times/#comment-90169

And Ed Stoltz has been hit by the FCC over a ruling involving the Entercom deal in Sacramento.

California broadcaster Ed Stolz continues to fight the long-ago approved CBS Radio merger with Entercom – and he continues to lose. On Tuesday The FCC issued three more Stolz denials. Here’s what they were about…

The Commission again denied Stolz’ attempt to block the merger, which he says should have been denied based on Les Moonves’ behavior of “harassment and retaliation.” Read the denial HERE.

Stolz also lost another attempt to stop the license renewal of Sacramento station KDND, which Entercom spun off in the merger anyway. KDND was the former Entercom station that ran a contest that lead to the death of one of the contestants (Hold your Wee for a Wii). Read that denial HERE.

And, finally, Stolz was again denied his attempt to challenge five Entercom license renewals in Sacramento. The Commission denial states Stolz had no standing in that proceeding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom