• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Missing Format in New York City Radio

I was just thinking of an easy listening format of Artist from the 60s & 70s like Roger Miller, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot, Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Carol King, Ann Murry, etc. is missing from the radio in New York City. I already heard advertisers won't support in but was wondering why advertisers won't support it ?

I was just thinking of an easy listening format of Artist from the 60s & 70s like Roger Miller, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot, Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Carol King, Ann Murry, etc. is missing from the radio in New York City. I already heard advertisers won't support in but was wondering why advertisers won't support it ?

Because there aren't enough listeners in heavily ethnic NYC to support it. Upbeat and rhythmic are what work in NYC radio. Soft and melodic do not.

Perhaps Alt 92.3 should switch to a Jack format. Though the last time Jack was tried in New York it was displaced by the return of the classic hits format, it did quite well, probably better than the current rock programming on 92.3. I believe that the wide variety of music on Jack formats is similar to how many people listen to music, a lot of different songs, rather than a rigid playlist.
There is a lot of flexibility in a Jack type format. It does not necessarily need to play as much rock as the previous Jack, or the one in Los Angeles. It can mix in a lot of pop and rhythmic cuts.

In Long Island on 93.3 the breeze, my friend Dave. If want to talk about it. Please message on Facebook

Even if the listeners were there (debatable), the advertisers are not interested in trying to reach the 55+ geezer crowd (not debatable).
That's just reality, and it's been beaten to death on every radio message board. It's not a viable business strategy.

Even if the listeners were there (debatable), the advertisers are not interested in trying to reach the 55+ geezer crowd (not debatable).
That's just reality, and it's been beaten to death on every radio message board. It's not a viable business strategy.

A recent report says marketers are moving away from millennials.

To quote Lionel, the dentist’s radio message board is comprised of a bunch of drunks. I would have to agree.

A recent report says marketers are moving away from millennials.

This is not about unattributed market reports or TV or the comic books for that matter. It's about radio, and there are just about zero agency dollars being placed against 55+, with almost all monies spent going after 18-49 or 25-54 or some subset of those age spans.

To quote Lionel, the dentist’s radio message board is comprised of a bunch of drunks. I would have to agree.

Yet that board has participants ranging from station managers to former and present air talent at a number of the market's top stations.

Lionel's opinion is about as significant as his ratings.

There are a few good formats missing in NYC including Active Rock. Variety Hits (Jack). Classic Hip Hop. And Soft-AC, which is closest to the OP's suggestion and which is doing well in some markets.

This is what makes the loss of a commercial FM frequency so frustrating. WPLJ was a rotten station for a long time but it had the *potential* to be flipped to any of those missing formats. Cumulus was a terrible steward, though. Drove their awful-sounding cluster into the ground and then dumped it in their desperation for money. Now 95.5 is dogma forever and we'll never get any of those other formats because now there's nowhere to put them.

The question that no one is addressing is who would blow up a station to put such a format on in NYC? Certainly not iHeart, who has 5 stations in the Top 10. (I think they already have The Breeze on an HD2) Entercom was just the beneficiary of the WPLJ flip, so they'll assess the impact it will have on WNEW. None of their stations seem likely to flip. Emmis isn't changing anything. And then you have the SBS and Univision stations that aren't likely to flip. So what's left? College and educational stations. Not much to pick from.

It seems conceivable that Alt 92.3 could eventually be changed, as it is apparently one of the lowest rated major stations in the market.

It seems conceivable that Alt 92.3 could be changed, as it is apparently one of the lowest rated major stations in the area.

Entercom has been very supportive of its alternative rock stations in other markets where they're doing poorly.

Since commercial radio is a business, it seems unlikely Entercom would continue to support low rated stations indefinitely, unless they are producing good revenue, or believe there is nothing else that would do significantly better.

Since commercial radio is a business, it seems unlikely Entercom would continue to support low rated stations indefinitely, unless they are producing good revenue, or believe there is nothing else that would do significantly better.

Or unless the CEO of the company is particularly supportive of the format, as this article indicates:

https://www.rbr.com/wbmp-amp-to-alt/

The other station mentioned in the article, KVIL Dallas, is one of the lowest rated stations in that city too.

Alt 92.3 doesn't need to be flipped but it could stand to be tweaked. The music leans very much to the pop side and the presentation lacks the kind of edge that made alternative stations sound so great in the 90s. It sounds to me like they're playing it too safe and trying to target females with an innocuous type of "alt". The numbers don't look like it's working.

"Low rated" is a dangerous term, particularly if the beauty contest 6+ numbers published publicly are the basis for evaluation.

A station can be lower in 6+ than in a target sales demographic. So if a station is terrific in Women 25-44, it will have lots of good rate buys. If it is great in 6+ but mostly listened to by folks over 55, it will hardly get any buys.

The real ratings metric is how it ranks in its target demo.

The question that no one is addressing is who would blow up a station to put such a format on in NYC? Certainly not iHeart, who has 5 stations in the Top 10. (I think they already have The Breeze on an HD2) Entercom was just the beneficiary of the WPLJ flip, so they'll assess the impact it will have on WNEW. None of their stations seem likely to flip. Emmis isn't changing anything. And then you have the SBS and Univision stations that aren't likely to flip. So what's left? College and educational stations. Not much to pick from.

There is really nothing left. NYC has four non-coms in the commercial band, WNYC, WBAI, WPLJ and WQXR. WQXR is on a frequency and facility that can't compete commercially, and the other 3 are very solid unless Pacifica finally implodes.

The market is 25% Hispanic and 20% African American, so the Emmis cluster as well as the 3 full signal Spanish language stations are going to be around for a while.

There is nothing left. Entercom is not going to add another rock station, as they have one. iHeart has a classic rocker, so they won't add one either.

Nothing left.

Alt 92.3 doesn't need to be flipped but it could stand to be tweaked. The music leans very much to the pop side and the presentation lacks the kind of edge that made alternative stations sound so great in the 90s. It sounds to me like they're playing it too safe and trying to target females with an innocuous type of "alt". The numbers don't look like it's working.

I'm sure they have researched it intensively and likely the music choice is based on pleasing the largest of the different partisan groups within alternative, none of whom are happy with the songs that any other group likes. You are likely in a group they determined to be smaller than the larger consensus group they are serving.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom