• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Anyone else thinks CHR music has become even more annoying?

A poem without rhyme is a paragraph.

Not true. A poem without a rhyme scheme is called free verse and sometimes blank verse. But there is a technical difference between free verse and blank verse. Although both of them have no rhyme but blank verse is written in iambic pentametre while free verse has no rhyme and metre

Hey Bob! It's great to hear from you! It has definitely been a while since I've checked in on the Seattle board. Lately I've been more interested in engineering, antennas, and DX (the hobbies that got me interested in broadcasting in the first place).

In regard to the topic at hand, I know that you're also on the younger side of the age spectrum, so it's interesting to see that your tastes have led you away from CHR as well. I agree with the sentiments of other forum members; I'm not a fan of this type of music, and bringing back a famous personality or different presentation doesn't help. I used to listen to a fair amount of country music growing up (before abandoning the genre around 2011). When a particular country music personality (which I remember listening to) returned to the local airwaves last month, I tuned in to see what I thought of the show, but discovered that I couldn't get past the quality of the music. The "depth" that I used to appreciate in country music just wasn't there.

Could it be that we are just getting old?

If I remember right, I'm about a year and a half older than you are. There are still definitely a few good CHRs out there, the one I usually listen to is The Way at 92 FM from Hawaii's big island. I think I came into CHR at just the right time, when CHR also seemed to appeal to the older demos as well. Now that it's shifting more to rap though, there are fewer and fewer songs I like.

If I remember right, I'm about a year and a half older than you are. There are still definitely a few good CHRs out there, the one I usually listen to is The Way at 92 FM from Hawaii's big island. I think I came into CHR at just the right time, when CHR also seemed to appeal to the older demos as well. Now that it's shifting more to rap though, there are fewer and fewer songs I like.

I agree. The shift to more of a "hip hop" sound is what turns me away from CHR. Not to mention, some of the writing and composition of today's big CHR hits is absolutely abysmal (Ariana Grande, The Chainsmokers, Marshmallow all being a few big names).

Not true. A poem without a rhyme scheme is called free verse and sometimes blank verse. But there is a technical difference between free verse and blank verse. Although both of them have no rhyme but blank verse is written in iambic pentametre while free verse has no rhyme and metre

99% of America have no idea what you just wrote.

But it does define common usage of which there are millions of examples.

You forget that your dictionary definition says "and often exhibits such formal elements as meter, rhyme, and stanzaic structure".

"Often" means, of course, "usually" and that, in turn, means "not necessarily always". And many famous poems, several of which were cited previously, have no rhyme.

A good example is e e cummings' "[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in] " which you can google.

Perhaps the best-known American poet to my generation was Robert Frost, whose work was a staple of grade-school English classes from the 1960s on. His "Mending Wall" (the one with the line "Good fences make good neighbors") doesn't rhyme at any point, but one cannot deny that it's just as much poetry as his equally well-known "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening," which rhymes throughout.

Perhaps the best-known American poet to my generation was Robert Frost, whose work was a staple of grade-school English classes from the 1960s on. His "Mending Wall" (the one with the line "Good fences make good neighbors") doesn't rhyme at any point, but one cannot deny that it's just as much poetry as his equally well-known "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening," which rhymes throughout.

A very good example. Indeed, a poet, the Poet Laureate of the United States during the second term of President Eisenhower.

The exceptions for rhyme in poetry extend to other languages, too. "Romance Sonámbulo" by Federico Garc?*a Lorca is one of the most famous poems in the Spanish language and it does not rhyme. It can be found, with a moderately good English translation, at https://harpers.org/blog/2009/06/garcia-lorca-for-the-love-of-green/

Of course, this relates to rap and hip-hop as lyrics are simply poems set to a beat.

Or, more to Landtuna's era, Frank Sinatra's "Moonlight in Vermont" which he both wrote and performed.

Last edited:

My peers from the 50's and 60's would tell you a poem (in English) must rhyme.

Or, more to Landtuna's era, Frank Sinatra's "Moonlight in Vermont" which he both wrote and performed.

Frankie was long before my time and my personal opinion of him would classify him as a decent actor and mediocre singer (despite all the photographs hanging on barbershop walls in Noo Joisey and Noo Yawk).

My peers from the 50's and 60's would tell you a poem (in English) must rhyme.

So you can take that poetry stuff elsewhere. This isnt a poetry discussion website and it has absolutely no place here. Thank you. .....Drops the mic.

So you can take that poetry stuff elsewhere. This isnt a poetry discussion website and it has absolutely no place here. Thank you. .....Drops the mic.

I'm here to have reasonably intelligent discussions with others in the music/radio business. I'm not here to take crap from what appears to me to be a wet-behind-the-ears newbie without a whole lot of intelligence or experience.

You've been blocked.

I'm here to have reasonably intelligent discussions with others in the music/radio business. I'm not here to take crap from what appears to me to be a wet-behind-the-ears newbie without a whole lot of intelligence or experience.

You've been blocked.

I was only joking sorry i didnt even know you could block people on here also and im not gonna revert to blocking someone and calling them a name just because they joked about something so sorry that you feel the need to do that.

I was only joking sorry i didnt even know you could block people on here also and im not gonna revert to blocking someone and calling them a name just because they joked about something so sorry that you feel the need to do that.

The way you conveyed yourself on here doesn’t show a joking connotation. Type more clearly or put up a fair warning. (Also, per your bio, you are a newbie. Any actual on air experience at all or spent a lot of time around radio people?)

To answer landtuna’s question...I’m in my late 20s, grew up with primarily CHR and hip hop around the mid-2000s, and found the music back then to be more tolerable. (Also did some time on a CHR.) Nowadays, I can’t accept new music as easily as I used to. Not much of a variance. Anymore, I just listen to throwbacks, rhythmic or otherwise.

To me, it’s all about perspective.

The way you conveyed yourself on here doesn’t show a joking connotation. Type more clearly or put up a fair warning. (Also, per your bio, you are a newbie. Any actual on air experience at all or spent a lot of time around radio people?)

To answer landtuna’s question...I’m in my late 20s, grew up with primarily CHR and hip hop around the mid-2000s, and found the music back then to be more tolerable. (Also did some time on a CHR.) Nowadays, I can’t accept new music as easily as I used to. Not much of a variance. Anymore, I just listen to throwbacks, rhythmic or otherwise.

To me, it’s all about perspective.
This is just an observation and not any kind of attack: To some of us, when you were born is "nowadays"!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom