• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNBM 103.9

Barry

Star Participant
I get it that this station has a limited signal. But it covers a reasonable portion of the #1 market, and has overall ratings of a mere .3. They run a similar format to WBLS, which has been #2 in the ratings. Apparently fans of urban A/C find that there is no need for an alternative to 107.5.
Whether or not Cumulus sells it, are there other formats that may work better?

I would LOVE to see K-Love on that dial instead of WPLJ's signal.

That wont happen.. 96.7 and 103.9 arent full market signals and thats what klove wants

While this signal is never going to get stellar ratings, perhaps a soft A/C format (resembling The Breeze) would result in a considerable improvement. This has done quite well in several markets, and is relatively inexpensive. And they wouldn't be in competition with an iconic station, such as WBLS.

This has done quite well in several markets, and is relatively inexpensive. And they wouldn't be in competition with an iconic station, such as WBLS.

This station clears Tom Joyner in the morning, and DL Hughley in afternoon drive, both of which are syndicated by Cumulus.

So it's very unlikely they'll change formats unless it's sold.

While this signal is never going to get stellar ratings, perhaps a soft A/C format (resembling The Breeze) would result in a considerable improvement. This has done quite well in several markets, and is relatively inexpensive. And they wouldn't be in competition with an iconic station, such as WBLS.

More than 50% of the primary coverage area of WNBM is the borough of The Bronx. The Bronx is 54% Hispanic, and nearly 44% African American. Neither of those groups would have much use for a soft AC station. And the immediate surrounding areas to The Bronx also have similar ethnic populations.

WNBM has a much larger coverage area than you might expect. I have heard them loud and clear out in Morris County and Middlesex County, NJ. We're talking 30+ miles outside the Bronx. With that said, I would not expect anything other than an urban or ethnic format on that station.

WNBM has a much larger coverage area than you might expect. I have heard them loud and clear out in Morris County and Middlesex County, NJ. We're talking 30+ miles outside the Bronx. With that said, I would not expect anything other than an urban or ethnic format on that station.

David uses data showing strength of signal. Chances are WNBM doesn't penetrate workplace (or residence) walls well in the areas you mention, which limits such stations' use by listeners in those area to in the car -- less than 40 percent of total listening -- and outdoors, where most people have no reason to be listening to a radio.

The best use of a local-strength signal like that in the Bronx would probably be a Caribbean format. Ask the pirates, they know.

Cumulus must only care about the station as a way to clear their network shows in "New York".

Yesterday, Cumulus' CEO made it official they plan to sell this station.
Perhaps WNBM would be suitable for a non-profit to purchase it? Maybe EMF could use it for their K-Love Classics format. Or it could be utilized for a jazz station-WBGO has a weak signal in much of the northern part of the Metro area.

Yesterday, Cumulus' CEO made it official they plan to sell this station.
Perhaps WNBM would be suitable for a non-profit to purchase it? Maybe EMF could use it for their K-Love Classics format. Or it could be utilized for a jazz station-WBGO has a weak signal in much of the northern part of the Metro area.

If EMF wanted the station, they probably would have purchased it along with WPLJ as a package. I can see two outcomes, a ethnic station aimed straight to the Bronx, or re-focus on Westchester, a more financially lucrative market. Either way, it would need to be a smaller, locally focused owner/operator. I don't think any of the "big boys" would be interested in a limited signal.

It wouldn't be out of the question for someone like Whitney Media came along and pair it up with WVIP/WVOX. There seems to be no shortage of ethnic broadcasters looking to lease airtime.

WBGO hardly has any signal on Long Island either. They are likely protecting WCWP 88.1 (C.W. Post College). The only other way to get Jazz is 102.7 HD2 .. and just try in this day and age to get a stereo receiver with an HD tuner ... you are relegated to a car stereo or portable radio.

The other question is what will happen to WNBM's former sister station - WFAS-AM. It's still a Cumulus property.

My guess would be it gets sold along with WNBM. Trying to sell a stand alone suburban AM (with no FM translator) is a difficult proposition. Selling it with the FM makes sense.

My guess would be it gets sold along with WNBM. Trying to sell a stand alone suburban AM (with no FM translator) is a difficult proposition. Selling it with the FM makes sense.

It makes sense for Cumulus, but probably nobody else. I can't imagine that there are a lot of folks interested in buying a suburban graveyard channel AM. The real estate in Hartsdale that houses the tower is certainly more valuable than the rest of the station. Cumulus should probably just take it dark and sell the property.

What about Univision? They could get more coverage to the Hispanic Bronx and simulcast WQBU, flip the format like they've always wanted to.

Univision doesn't want to do Regional Mexican in New York, but with the signal hitting a large Mexican area they kind of have no choice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom