• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Whither Deb and Laurie?

nowradioguy

Star Participant
At ‘BZ, Deb Lawlor hasn’t been heard in over a week. Laurie Kirby hasn’t been heard since middle of last week.
Anyone able to enlighten us?

Deb and Laurie are the 2 drive time veterans who have been on WBZ for years.
I heart has made a string of stupid and destructive personnel changes just to save money, and would like nothing better than to use their cheap platform for their programming. Their moves are worth noting
I think NOWRADIOGUY takes daily attendance on who appears on WBZ! ;-)

I heart has made a string of stupid and destructive personnel changes just to save money, and would like nothing better than to use their cheap platform for their programming

Please back this up with some facts. (Since most of your presictions about WBZ have been wrong so far.) ;-)

I heart has made a string of stupid and destructive personnel changes just to save money, and would like nothing better than to use their cheap platform for their programming. Their moves are worth noting

Just a reminder that radio revenue, when compared to the last pre-recession year, 2006, is down from $21 billion (RAB) to last year's estimate of just over $13 billion (BIA).

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/54989/radio-revenue-finishes-up-in-2006.html details the 2006 results. Radio was still growing, although slowly.

The 38% decrease in revenues means stations have to change the business model as most... particularly expensive formats like news and talk... do not have 40% margins.

There are two choices: save money and survive and hope to make the transition to a total streaming model... or go out of business.

Laurie Kirby was tweeting on her WBZ account 5 hours ago ( tuesday PM) so she is still there.

As for Ms. Lawler, I don't know... but she has been with them over 34 years....

That was my point exactly, Norm. These two fine reporters/anchors have been at WBZ for decades between the two of them, so their paychecks must reflect that. It will be a dark day indeed when both of them are no longer heard on WBZ.

Yes, Laurie, thank God, was back on the air Tuesday afternoon. Nicole Davis was back in mid-day, but no Deb.

Wimmmex believes I "take attendance" of who's on and who's not on 'BZ on any given day; guilty! (I do teach part time, so, yeah, taking attendance is not unheard of for me.) But let's be fair: it's not just when someone is missing do I get antsy; I do so also when certain someones I'm not crazy about get air shifts.

I guess I'm different. I personally don't care who is on the air. As long as they can speak clearly and can be understood. - Whether it's on a spoken word formatted radio station or a music radio station. Except for Wolfman Jack. The Oldies station where I live plays "tapes" of Wolfman Jack and when he comes on I change the station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom