• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Weather Channel gets attacked by ransomware, live coverage knocked off the air.

Will_H_69_9

Star Participant
on Thursday, as The Weather Channel was attempting to go on the air for it`s morning show AMHQ, they got attacked by ransomware, knocking them off the air for all of the 6 AM ET hour and most of the 7 AM ET hour, they were forced to use backup computers and the studio that is normally used for weather.com filmed connect filmed at TWC HQ in Atlana, GA. it even impacted the LOT8s L Bar ticker. it happened right in the middle of a major severe weather outbreak that had started Wednesday in the southern central plains states off Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/18/the-weather-channel-ransomware/

this isn't the first time a major media company got hit with ransomware, as recently Townsquare Media and Radio One were hit by ransomware attacks recently.

The weather channel's coverage is skewed to areas east of the Rockies.
Perhaps someone "out west" is unhappy with their coverage or
lack thereof.

The weather channel's coverage is skewed to areas east of the Rockies.
Perhaps someone "out west" is unhappy with their coverage or
lack thereof.
Ya because saying it's 75 and sunny all the time is really important.

This explains why the weather bar is offline.

On Spectrum in Jackson, TN the local weather bar is back online, but they still don't have the full local forecast at 18 and 48 past the hour. I wish they would put it back at the top and bottom of the hour.

On Spectrum in Jackson, TN the local weather bar is back online, but they still don't have the full local forecast at 18 and 48 past the hour. I wish they would put it back at the top and bottom of the hour.
I haven't liked the local forecasts since they did the big overhaul a few years ago. The Local on the 8's used to be more detailed.

Yes, we do have beautiful weather 95% of the time but even when we don't,
weather channel coverage is almost non-existent. We can't help it you have crappy weather!

Yes, we do have beautiful weather 95% of the time but even when we don't,
weather channel coverage is almost non-existent. We can't help it you have crappy weather!
The west coast never gets coverage of anything national because of the time difference.

I wish that Local On The 8's would be back on miss that extended the forecast hope that tomorrow it returns. I would have thought that The Weather Channel would be updated on all the nasty things online how did they get attacked I would think they would have the techie's updating the computers daily?

The full local forecast is back on as of today on Spectrum in Jackson, TN. Is it back on in other places?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom