• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wemq 92.1 in horsham pa is finally on the air at full power

antennatv

New Participating Member
I just want to report that WEMQ 92.1 transmitting from Horsham Pa. is finally on the air operating at full power. Their signal is very strong in on the Western end of Northeast philadelphia. Their signal is very strong in the Burholme and Lawncrest areas of Northeast Philadelphia. They sound like they are either broadcasting from the Veron Tower on the Western end of Cheltenham ave, or from the Tower at 2nd st. Pike and Street Rd. They are carrying the Ready Broadcasting Network in which the programming consists of Emergency Prepardness information along with a half a dozen commercials. This what you will hear 24 hrs a day. WVLT'S signal is also still being heard in Northeast Philadelphia, but WEMQ causing severe interference in the Western end of Northeast Philadelphia. On the Western end of Northeast Philadelphia you will hear both WVLT AND WEMQ, but at times WEMQ'S signal will go right over WVLT'S signal. So again, if you want to hear WEMQ at 92.1 just go to the Western end of Northeast Philadelphia , like in Burholme, or the Lawncrest and Lawndale sections of Northeast Philadelphia, and you will hear WEMQ lound and clear.

Thanks for the update, antenna. You'd think they could find someone to develop some programming in-between the county info that would encourage people to tune in. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in taking on that challenge for a county-wide network of 5 stations.

Other thread discussing the Montco LPFMs

WVLT's Production Director David Virgilio addresses the complaints being received about interference from WEMQ.
Basically says there's nothing that can be done as the interference is occurring in areas outside WVLT's primary coverage area.

https://www.wvlt-fm.com/single-post/2019/03/16/Regarding-the-Coverage-in-PA

I actually think they can.. even if they didnt file something against it when this application was filed... i recall being told even if outside the stations protected contour, if listeners to a full power station complain, the translator can be forced to move or shut down.
It happened in VA/NC where a Triad area translator was allegedly causing interference to a full power station north of them in VA

They definitely can file a complaint with the FCC about the interference, even if it *is* outside their protected contour. If they are able to legitimately validate that they had a listener base prior to the station signing on, noting every last detail of the complainant, they have at least a chance of perhaps something being done about it. What does complicate this is the fact that it’s not a translator causing the interference but a licensed LPFM of which the parameters for a license to be granted are MUCH more stringent than those of a translator (which never quite made sense to me...). What could end up happening is that the process go tit-for-tat and become very costly for both parties real fast. While complaints are truly a catch-22, especially when it involves people who truly *do* want to hear the station, you have to really evaluate do listeners in NE Philly really add to WVLT’s bottom line? It may just be easier to forego the fight and direct the dissatisfied to the online listening as they have done.

The next question is, when someone above noted “operating at full power,” was that something that was not being done prior to and did they have an STA to operate less than their licensed power and for what reason? The FCC doesn’t really care too much for people playing by their own set of rules, LPFM or not.

They definitely can file a complaint with the FCC about the interference, even if it *is* outside their protected contour. If they are able to legitimately validate that they had a listener base prior to the station signing on, noting every last detail of the complainant, they have at least a chance of perhaps something being done about it. What does complicate this is the fact that it’s not a translator causing the interference but a licensed LPFM of which the parameters for a license to be granted are MUCH more stringent than those of a translator (which never quite made sense to me...). What could end up happening is that the process go tit-for-tat and become very costly for both parties real fast. While complaints are truly a catch-22, especially when it involves people who truly *do* want to hear the station, you have to really evaluate do listeners in NE Philly really add to WVLT’s bottom line? It may just be easier to forego the fight and direct the dissatisfied to the online listening as they have done.

The next question is, when someone above noted “operating at full power,” was that something that was not being done prior to and did they have an STA to operate less than their licensed power and for what reason? The FCC doesn’t really care too much for people playing by their own set of rules, LPFM or not.

I drove directly past the tower WEMQ is supposed to be on (a tower off of Twining Rd. in Upper Dublin) and didn't get anything yesterday. Just faint WVLT. So if they were on, it was only temporary, or testing.

It looks like WVLT is choosing their battles. They were apparently able to shut down the Philadelphia 92.1 translator allocation, but this is an LPFM clearly outside VLT's protected contour. I haven't kept abreast of the regulations, but LPFMs, being program originators, have at least a defacto political advantage over translators. VLT recognizes that and they're also no doubt cognizant of the FCC proposals to tighten regulations regarding future translator interference cases as well.

VLT may know about WEMQ going full power from reading this board and hearing the listener complaints. WVLT did come in well in parts of Eastern Montco due to the elevation, but overall, the car reception was spotty.

Cruisin 92.1 has a lot of listeners in Pennsylvania because WOGL no longer plays Oldies. It also has the advantage of favorable terrain, slowly rising to the north and west, making reception of stations to the south and east stronger.
They could get them shut down if they wanted. They just need a form on their website for listeners to submit complaints. Then they go to the FCC with proof that there is interference. The listeners don't even have to live within the 40 dBu contour! Less than 100 listeners could get a station shut down.
Horsham is 50 miles away from Vineland though. Cruisin 92.1 doesn't sell advertising there. Most of their ads are for Cumberland county businesses

Cruisin 92.1 has a lot of listeners in Pennsylvania because WOGL no longer plays Oldies. It also has the advantage of favorable terrain, slowly rising to the north and west, making reception of stations to the south and east stronger.
They could get them shut down if they wanted. They just need a form on their website for listeners to submit complaints. Then they go to the FCC with proof that there is interference. The listeners don't even have to live within the 40 dBu contour! Less than 100 listeners could get a station shut down.
Horsham is 50 miles away from Vineland though. Cruisin 92.1 doesn't sell advertising there. Most of their ads are for Cumberland county businesses

Just because you have seen other stations take the approach does NOT mean its a simple process or an effective one as I originally noted because we are NOT talking about a translator in this instance. LPFM's follow grid-points and a much more rigorous set of rules when it comes to applying for a CP that relies heavily on spacing with an Omni signal. Having said that, it AND translators are still viewed upon as secondary services despite the fact that LPFM's do "originate programming" which is a whole other topic in and of itself. The license was granted because it met the criteria despite the potential for co-channel interference. When you think of it, EVERY station that signs onto a frequency as a new one is taking a slice of the coverage away from someone(s) who were there first... this case is nothing new.

Just for WVLT to having "bragging rights" or a "reach" into NE Philly that they once had, does not mean in any way that its wise or financially advantageous to make an issue of it for the key reason you noted = NO AD DOLLARS THERE!! Have you any idea how much Consulting Engineers and FCC Attorneys cost to bring into something like this or the burden on station staff to investigate these interference claims? It can be nasty, expensive and time consuming. Best for them to leave well enough alone.

At the same time, if Montgomery County can't get their act together and keep it ON THE AIR then they shouldn't have the license. If it is a technical matter then they should file an STA like other stations do until their issue is resolved... to my knowledge and with a cursory view of the FCC database, they have not had a single one filed at any point since the license was granted in October of 2017. Maybe County run operations can be run by a special set of FCC rules and regs?? This issue alone could be one for the folks at WVLT to take notice of and push the agents to take a trip there to see what is going on in Horsham. If WEMQ is on and off at their whim/leisure with no FCC permission granted, that's a flagrant violation onto itself.

Last edited:
Of course to make me look like a liar, I heard WEMQ on the air this morning with a bunch of PSAs about safety. It sounded like an online stopset of some small market station where they didn't sell any of the spots on the stream and needed filler. lol

It's a waste of a station. Emergency information??? It's better suited for an AM station or cable TV channel. I hope Cruisin 92.1 hears from hundreds of listeners and then reverses its course on complaining about the interference. Even a significant increase in Internet streaming from listeners in Montgomery county could prove that there's interference.

In another thread ("Montgomery County LPFMs"), it was reported that Montgomery County holds five LPFM licenses: 92.1 WEMQ-LP Horsham; 92.9 WEMK-LP Upper Gwynedd; 105.7 WEMA-LP Marlborough: 105.7 WEMZ-LP Plymouth; and 106.5 WRDY-LP Eagleville.

Also from that thread, this comment posted by "moof":

“WRDY-LP is run by the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management. It runs emergency preparedness spots from FEMA and the AdCouncil interspersed with ones created by the MontCo OEM on a 15-20 minute loop. On the station they state that in the event of an actual emergency they will switch to a live broadcast.”

If that’s all those stations are airing, how are they serving “the public interest, convenience and necessity” when nobody’s listening?

If I were a MontCo taxpayer, I’d be raising the dickens about this outrageous waste of taxpayers’ money!

Last edited:
I can hear WEMQ from all the way here in Haddonfield.

That’s odd, since Haddonfield is outside of WEMQ’s 40 dBu contour and INSIDE of WVLT’s 50 dBu contour.

Are you using a highly directional external antenna?

If I were a MontCo taxpayer, I’d be raising the dickens about this outrageous waste of taxpayers’ money!

I wouldn't. I've learned to hold off making snap judgements--funding can come from a variety of sources. And all things considered, this doesn't strike me as a problematic investment of money. I may not see a huge value, but there are many things governments at all levels do that may not be suited to MY lifestyle, but may work as one of a set of tactics to get the word out. That alone seems to fit the standard of public interest--and it's a set of LP stations for crying out loud, not the end of the world.

[It] may work as one of a set of tactics to get the word out. That alone seems to fit the standard of public interest--and it's a set of LP stations for crying out loud, not the end of the world.

How can it possibly “work as one of a set of tactics to get the word out” if nobody’s listening?

And with an endless loop of “emergency preparedness” announcements (leavened with a few slickly produced PSA’s from the Ad Council), you can be sure that nobody’s listening!

Real radio stations — that is, full-powered, primary stations, commercial and non-commercial alike (the kinds of stations that real people actually listen to) — are always ready to broadcast official announcements about real emergencies.

LPFM’s and translators have caused the AM-ization of the FM band.

Last edited:
I don’t know their overall plans to promote the availability in the event of an emergency, so I’m withholding premature judgement. It can be one tool amongst several.

No one is listening now. No one probably listens to the Turnpike radio either, except when the lights are flashing an alert. Those, coupled with gradually added digital signage are multiple ways motorists can get information.

Since these aren’t interfering with the in-market stations, I’m finding it hard to get worked up over.

That’s odd, since Haddonfield is outside of WEMQ’s 40 dBu contour and INSIDE of WVLT’s 50 dBu contour.

Are you using a highly directional external antenna?

Well I have a highly directional antenna, but even on my car radio, in WVLT's dead spots, WEMQ comes blasting in. WVLT can easily be nulled to hear WEMQ from Haddonfield.

Where I live in Montco, I can get 92.1, 92.9 and 106.5 pretty clear. It's ridiculous that this even came to fruition. Ready Montco can easily get the prerecorded messages with 106.5 from Willow Grove to Lansdale and Pottstown. A waste of money and airwaves. It's the same repetitive ready.gov and don't text and drive announcements in poorly modulated audio.

Where I live in Montco, I can get 92.1, 92.9 and 106.5 pretty clear. It's ridiculous that this even came to fruition. Ready Montco can easily get the prerecorded messages with 106.5 from Willow Grove to Lansdale and Pottstown. A waste of money and airwaves. It's the same repetitive ready.gov and don't text and drive announcements in poorly modulated audio.

So are you going to complain about this waste of taxpayer money to the Montgomery County Commission?

Their next meeting is on April 18.

Contact info:
Montgomery County Commission
P. O. Box 311
Norristown, PA 19404-0311
Phone: 610-278-3000

You can find the names of the three commissioners in the Wikipedia article on Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom