• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL Playing More 70s now than they have the past 2 Years

Hello all. I just noticed that today, WOGL has increased their number of 70s songs per hour from 3 to 4. Do you think this is a sign of things to come? They have not played more than 3 70s per hour since the fall of 2016. I would have thought they would have gone the other way as most classic hit stations are ridding themselves from 70s. Most are playing 1-2 70s per hour. Their slogan is still "Nobody Plays More 80s though. This could just be a coincidence, but I have definitely noticed this all day today. Any ideas?

BTST their ratings have slipped a bit in the last few months, so perhaps it's to address that.

One thing we've noticed with WMGK is it sometimes doesn't matter how old the songs are, but how popular they are.

All of this focus on the year a song was released can be so much inside baseball.

I did see the 12+ numbers have recently gone down, but the 25-54 was still very good. I thought that was what they are trying to increase...so to me older songs might increase their numbers in the 12+ but not in the money demos. Don't get my wrong, I do like some 70s, but I admit I am a much bigger 80s and early 90s fan. I just have noticed the other entercom classic hits stations are playing far less 70s. I just thought maybe rotating their 80s and playing a few more 90s would increase this. I am seeing too much of an overlap of the songs on WMGK...but I do see your point TheBigA.

I like some '80s songs but I think I actually dislike more of them. I really enjoy '70s music and I love '90s music. When WOGL got so gung-ho on being an '80s station, it made me tune to them a lot less frequently. Of course, that's just me. But maybe '80s music really isn't doing what they were hoping for. Personally, I'd like them to come up to the late '80s and early '90s Pop music. Regardless, their ratings are pretty good so I don't know if they're too worried. I agree that the release years aren't as important as how they test.

Stations like WOGL may have a few early 70's hits on the playlist, although hits from 1976 are more likely.

The playlist could be mostly songs from 73-88 or 76-89, with a few 90's or 2000's thrown in.

But in today's world, the late 70's, 80's, and 90's are the direction stations go for targeting 25-54. The early 70's stuff, (although at the tail end of the format) might be slowed down to a lighter rotation or played in the overnight hours.

Stations like WOGL may have a few early 70's hits on the playlist, although hits from 1976 are more likely.

The playlist could be mostly songs from 73-88 or 76-89, with a few 90's or 2000's thrown in.

But in today's world, the late 70's, 80's, and 90's are the direction stations go for targeting 25-54. The early 70's stuff, (although at the tail end of the format) might be slowed down to a lighter rotation or played in the overnight hours.

Classic hits stations leaving out 70's music is a disaster waiting to happen. Some things should be just left alone and when it comes to seventies music, honestly, what's a station without those? Kudos to WOGL for adding more, but I'm afraid the damage has already been done. But yes, if a station is going to play 70's, focus more in-depth on the 1974-1979 period. What's a classic hits station without the music that made them that way to begin with??

K-Earth, lost cause. WOGL, still some hope.

I was just in LA, listened to KRTH, and heard a lot of 70s, including Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama.

Bohemian Rhapsody was released in 1975, and the new movie has revived a lot of interest in it.

Classic hits stations leaving out 70's music is a disaster waiting to happen. Some things should be just left alone and when it comes to seventies music, honestly, what's a station without those? Kudos to WOGL for adding more, but I'm afraid the damage has already been done. But yes, if a station is going to play 70's, focus more in-depth on the 1974-1979 period. What's a classic hits station without the music that made them that way to begin with??

Does "lost cause" just mean that you won't be listening? Because a Classic Hits station that's #1 (6+) and #2 (25-54, 18-49, and 18-34) is hardly a lost cause. That's called success!

You realize that in 5 years, it's likely that lots of Classic Hits stations will have dropped '70s entirely, right? I mean, the point of the format is to focus on a window of time that is always going to be moving (forward).

Last edited:

No, things should not be “left alone,” generally speaking. A successful business will be regularly evaluating and studying, and making tweaks where appropriate. If a few more groovy tunes from the 70s fires what a given market audience wants, as borne out by data, so be it. The day will come when it doesn’t, and when that comes, you sure as heck don’t leave it alone because of the occasional internet gripe.

I was just in LA, listened to KRTH, and heard a lot of 70s, including Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama.

Bohemian Rhapsody was released in 1975, and the new movie has revived a lot of interest in it.

A lot meaning the few they already play? I'm far more inclined to assume you heard "some" 70's music. What 70's they have remaining, are "running on empty".....on fumes.

Does "lost cause" just mean that you won't be listening? Because a Classic Hits station that's #1 (6+) and #2 (25-54, 18-49, and 18-34) is hardly a lost cause. That's called success!

It's very successful to those that actually enjoy it, have basic music knowledge and can put up with what they do. For those that like more music, long for the days of great radio, are on the upper end or past the demo and prefer much more, it's a failure. When I was younger, that was my station of choice, along with XTRA 690 and KIIS-FM. No longer because of the changes they've made.

It's very successful to those that actually enjoy it, have basic music knowledge and can put up with what they do. For those that like more music, long for the days of great radio, are on the upper end or past the demo and prefer much more, it's a failure.

That's like saying Depends is a failure because nearly no persons age 18 to 34 use them.

Classic hits is aimed at persons 35 to 54. Anyone over that age is of zero sales value to them.

When I was younger, that was my station of choice, along with XTRA 690 and KIIS-FM. No longer because of the changes they've made.

You are not even in the market, you are not in the SoCal lifestyle and the station could not care less about what you think.

It's very successful to those that actually enjoy it, have basic music knowledge and can put up with what they do. For those that like more music, long for the days of great radio, are on the upper end or past the demo and prefer much more, it's a failure. When I was younger, that was my station of choice, along with XTRA 690 and KIIS-FM. No longer because of the changes they've made.

Oh my God.

A lot meaning the few they already play? I'm far more inclined to assume you heard "some" 70's music. What 70's they have remaining, are "running on empty".....on fumes.

70's is 12% lf KRTH titles (about 50 out of roughly 350 songs in the library.

However, based on spins, the 1977 to 1986 period accounts for practically all the spins. There is a tiny bit of pre-1977 music, and some post 1987, but the bulk of plays are in that single decade period.

Hello all. I just noticed that today, WOGL has increased their number of 70s songs per hour from 3 to 4. Do you think this is a sign of things to come? They have not played more than 3 70s per hour since the fall of 2016. I would have thought they would have gone the other way as most classic hit stations are ridding themselves from 70s. Most are playing 1-2 70s per hour. Their slogan is still "Nobody Plays More 80s though. This could just be a coincidence, but I have definitely noticed this all day today. Any ideas?

Still, the era map for WOGL is almost identical to that of KRTH! Most spins are in the 1976 to 1987 period, with an extreme fall-off before and after that range.

When there are 4 70's an hour is in overnights. AM Drive is between 1 and 2, with 2 being the norm. I looked at a random date last week, and in 6 AM to 7 PM, only 4 pre-1976 songs were played in 13 hours.

Last edited:

Still, the era map for WOGL is almost identical to that of KRTH! Most spins are in the 1976 to 1987 period, with an extreme fall-off before and after that range.

When there are 4 70's an hour is in overnights. AM Drive is between 1 and 2, with 2 being the norm. I looked at a random date last week, and in 6 AM to 7 PM, only 4 pre-1976 songs were played in 13 hours.

It is really amazing to think that if all things remain equal, in 5 years, these stations will be focusing on 1981 to 1992, and I suppose they'll be able to creep up as far as '96 or '97! I can't even imagine what the that library will sound like but I have a feeling I'm going to like it!

It is really amazing to think that if all things remain equal, in 5 years, these stations will be focusing on 1981 to 1992, and I suppose they'll be able to creep up as far as '96 or '97! I can't even imagine what the that library will sound like but I have a feeling I'm going to like it!

Presumably, by then, someone will have figured out how to deal with the great rock/rhythmic rift of the '90s, including the grunge, emo and Lilith Fair musical fads and mainstreaming of hip-hop.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom