• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alpha selling West Palm Beach

It's also a big fat check that they can use to pay down some debt.

As I recall some of those stations were once owned by CBS. But they've been bought & sold a few times.

I think it was CBS, Digity, Alpha and now Hubbard. But I might be missing some.

I know WRMF has a more "colorful" history before it became part of the group.

This should be a good opportunity for these stations. Hubbard has a decent reputation. I know it’s not likely going anywhere, but Brooke and Jubal really don’t fit on WIRK.

I know it’s not likely going anywhere, but Brooke and Jubal really don’t fit on WIRK.

It's an interesting conundrum for Hubbard, since the show originates at their Seattle station. But you're right, it doesn't fit at WIRK, and Hubbard typically eschews syndication, especially in morning drive.

So wait....these guys are in Seattle and do AM Drive in West Palm? How does that happen with the time difference?

Any chance of a format flip to alt rock, the one thing missing in the market, I hoped iHeart Wzzr would flip but that hasn’t happened

Any chance of a format flip to alt rock, the one thing missing in the market, I hoped iHeart Wzzr would flip but that hasn’t happened

Any changes are unlikely. The cluster got such a good price because it overperforms.

With the recent wave of Soft AC stations popping up, what about such a flip here? Yes, Miami has one such station. But West Palm doesn’t. A Soft AC would bite into Kool and Sunny, both of which I don’t consider Soft AC.

Buzz 103.1 was part of this cluster. They blew it up for a couple reasons, but primarily because for the last 2-3 years of the Buzz, ratings were absolutely atrocious.

However, you are correct in saying iHeart is probably the most likely to flip something to more modern-ish rock. WZZR has historically billed quite well over the past two decades as a hot talker despite iffy ratings.

Gater could very well start modernizing the playlist—but completely jetting the classic rock for an alt rock format would be a tough sell...literally and figuratively!

All this being said, iHeart syndicates The Woody Show...and they are itching to put the show (and an associated format) on in as many markets as feasible

Gater could very well start modernizing the playlist—but completely jetting the classic rock for an alt rock format would be a tough sell...literally and figuratively!
The format will evolve in time. It seems like it's a tough balance to maintain, appealing to people in their late 30s and 40s with 90s rock hits while trying not to turn off the people who grew up with the major artists of the 70s and 80s. I'm sure there's crossover, anecdotally the gen x-ers I came up with revered hendrix and zeppelin, but everything has a shelf life.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom