• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Houston Radio Ratings

Probably because he has been put in a station not many people know about with a signal that doesn't do very good on most radios. Sportsmap hasn't been properly advertised to the general public IMO.

Also, assuming you truly are the engineer for 97.5, where does 94.1 programming originate from?
Are you referring to the hd3 channel that it rebroadcast?

97.5 may not have Beaumont as the COL, but it’s on the same tower it was when it served Beaumont.

As for the HD3 channel for 97.5, I’d be surprised if I found the HD2 channel. Perhaps they’re only broadcasting on odd numbered channels.

Are you referring to the hd3 channel that it rebroadcast?

HD3 of which station? Sure can't be KFNC. I drove out to Port Arthur over the weekend, no sign of any HD carrier on KFNC, even at I-10 and FM 1663, which is about 15 miles from the KFNC TX site.

I think 97.5 needs a new engineer who can properly configure their HD signals LOL

You guys are hilarious!

I think 97.5 needs a new engineer who can properly configure their HD signals LOL

The hd3 was a mistype, sorry about that. As you all know, our 94.1 is licensed to rebroadcast koda hd2, That is the way the license holder set it up. We are only renting it from the license holder. If it ever gets changed over to actually rebroadcast kfnc hd2, we are setup to do that. I don't need to run the hd and hurt our analog signal until then. It's good to know that you guys are in such anticipation of our lowly hd channels.

The hd3 was a mistype, sorry about that. As you all know, our 94.1 is licensed to rebroadcast koda hd2, That is the way the license holder set it up. We are only renting it from the license holder. If it ever gets changed over to actually rebroadcast kfnc hd2, we are setup to do that. I don't need to run the hd and hurt our analog signal until then. It's good to know that you guys are in such anticipation of our lowly hd channels.

I'm sure you're aware, the programming on KODA-HD2 and HD3 doesn't bear any resemblance to the programming on K231CN.

You might want to let the "license holder" know K231CN is not even remotely compliant with FCC rules.

But thanks for clearing one thing up - you are "renting" the translator from Centro Cristiano. That being the case, it absolutely cannot have KFNC as its parent station as the transmitter site for K231CN is physically located outside the 60 dBu F(50,50) contour of KFNC. A commercial fill-in translator is not allowed to extend the 60 dBu contour of the parent station.

The only way that arrangement could possibly work is if there is absolutely no consideration - financial or otherwise - going to Centro from Gow, and if KFNC is being picked up over the air for rebroadcast on K231CN.

Given that KFNC-HD2 hasn't even been on the air for the entire existence of the SportsMap 94.1 format, over the air delivery is clearly not how the translator is being fed.

The only way to make the translator's operation legal would be to rent an HD channel from another operator in town whose signal fully encompasses 94.1's signal. Given that iHeart has a competing sports station of its own on KODA-HD2, I think it's fairly unlikely that they would be interested in renting to you guys, but who knows.

KODA-HD2 is simulcasting KBME 790... while it *is* superior to the SportsMap nonsense, it is NOT what is running on 94.1 K231CN...

Just another illegal Centro translator. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Posting on these forums does nothing.
In San Antonio there was an illegal group of translators a few years ago. Lots of people posted about it and exposed the hell out of them and no FCC action was taken. I suggest you file a complaint with the FCC and have an engineer help you do it to get pictures and signal measurements just right. Even if you're not an engineer you can still file a complaint and show the FCC these forums and they might listen to you.

Absolutely, until you file a complaint with the FCC nothing happens. Don't expect to file a complaint and something happens the next day. A complaint must be verified and if there is a problem, the FCC will allow the accused to respond to the complaint.

Wow

I'm sure you're aware, the programming on KODA-HD2 and HD3 doesn't bear any resemblance to the programming on K231CN.

You might want to let the "license holder" know K231CN is not even remotely compliant with FCC rules.

But thanks for clearing one thing up - you are "renting" the translator from Centro Cristiano. That being the case, it absolutely cannot have KFNC as its parent station as the transmitter site for K231CN is physically located outside the 60 dBu F(50,50) contour of KFNC. A commercial fill-in translator is not allowed to extend the 60 dBu contour of the parent station.

The only way that arrangement could possibly work is if there is absolutely no consideration - financial or otherwise - going to Centro from Gow, and if KFNC is being picked up over the air for rebroadcast on K231CN.

Given that KFNC-HD2 hasn't even been on the air for the entire existence of the SportsMap 94.1 format, over the air delivery is clearly not how the translator is being fed.

The only way to make the translator's operation legal would be to rent an HD channel from another operator in town whose signal fully encompasses 94.1's signal. Given that iHeart has a competing sports station of its own on KODA-HD2, I think it's fairly unlikely that they would be interested in renting to you guys, but who knows.

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Well, looks like y'all took his advice.

99.1 HD3 is now broadcasting SportsMap 94.1. Very odd since just one channel down (99.1 HD2), you can hear KBME 790. iHeart must be either hurting for money or they don't find SportsMap as a real threat. Either way, HD Radio must still be pretty irrelevant under the eyes of iHeart.

Well, looks like y'all took his advice.

99.1 HD3 is now broadcasting SportsMap 94.1. Very odd since just one channel down (99.1 HD2), you can hear KBME 790. iHeart must be either hurting for money or they don't find SportsMap as a real threat. Either way, HD Radio must still be pretty irrelevant under the eyes of iHeart.

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe iHeart's contract with Centro for the HD3 channel doesn't specify what can actually be broadcast on it.

Of course, this development begs the question, is there another Centro translator without a parent station now, or did they lease another HD channel to feed whatever 99.1 HD3 was feeding?

Meanwhile, the latest numbers are now out: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb033

Nothing really notable, other that the diminished numbers on the SportsTalkers. But they are probably doing fine in the male 25-54 demos.

KROI still at 0.9, with less than half the overall numbers of the next higher station on the list (KTHT) which has a 2.0. Strange to see no stations in the ones. Urban One needs to make some readily apparent adjustments to 92.1, perhaps including rebranding/reimaging. Otherwise spin the format wheel again or sell it off.

The last filing window for AM to get FM translators has passed...you can go to fccdata.org and search local freqs and the AM list shows who has filed in ( )

Yeah that rim shot (KROI) will never do well no matter what’s on it. Time has proved that.

Last edited:
KROI still at 0.9, with less than half the overall numbers of the next higher station on the list (KTHT) which has a 2.0. Strange to see no stations in the ones. Urban One needs to make some readily apparent adjustments to 92.1, perhaps including rebranding/reimaging. Otherwise spin the format wheel again or sell it off.

KROI needs to make a lot of improvements... sounds like a crappy CHR in a small market that doesn't know whether it's rhythmic or mainstream, complete with what seems to be some whiny 16 year old voiceover "talent".

KROI needs to make a lot of improvements... sounds like a crappy CHR in a small market that doesn't know whether it's rhythmic or mainstream, complete with what seems to be some whiny 16 year old voiceover "talent".

The female imaging voice on KROI is beyond awful, easily one of the most annoying things I've ever heard on the radio. And you are right about the confused playlist; if they are to remain CHR they should probably go more mainstream, as there is already plenty of Rhythmic/Rap/Hip-Hop in the market on better signals. Rebranding wouldn't hurt.

However I think Urban One may simply be out of ideas on what to do with the frequency, which is why I am rooting for a sale. New ownership would probably have much better ideas. The signal will never be a market leader, but it has the capability of doing better than it has in recent years. Note that the Praise 92.1 format often scored in the low three's, although the audience was too old.

If EMF was to bring their L-Love format to Houston, 92.1 would be the place to do it. Same for WAY-FM or another national religious broadcaster.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom