• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WXLO Coming In Loud And Clear in Revere

Retro

Star Participant
Tuning in this Evening, sick of the same old, same old. I tune into 104.5, and it came in loud and clear, albeit with a little static.

They have CP's for three boosters. On the Hancock Tower in Boston, the WWDJ/WAZN site off Route 2 in Lexington, and Bear Hill in Waltham.

I never had a problem getting WXLO when I was regularly traveling to my old hometown of Swampscott several years ago. Why would reception have been so difficult in Revere?

Just to check it out, I put on 'XLO on Comm. Ave. near BU, and it sounded HORRIBLE there. It was all multipath distortion.

The boosters are directional. The Hancock Tower booster is nulled to the west toward BU, so though it was only a couple of miles away, I was getting an attenuated nulled signal from it. The Lexington and Waltham ones are directional toward the east or southeast, toward BU and Boston, so I may have also been hearing one or both of them, then there's also the parent signal from Leominster, that is still fairly strong by BU.

I may have been hearing three or four signals fighting it out as I was driving down the road, though they had the same program, causing severe multipath with each other. It also sounded like one of the signals was overmodulating, adding to the distortion. Though I've heard the translators sound good in some areas, it was a real mess there.

In my opinion, at least the Hancock booster is not on the air yet. Don’t know about the others.
No noted signal enhancement at South Station, so I would have to agree.

No noted signal enhancement at South Station, so I would have to agree.

Guess it wan't the Hancock I was hearing by BU then. Must have been a mix of Lexington, Waltham, and the Leominster parent signal.

The Lexington one could enhance reception in Revere. It's at a high elevation off Route 2 there with open terrain to the east.

Shouldn't WXLO-FM worry about their signal in Worcester, instead of Boston? I know it's licensed to Fitchburg, but serves the Worcester radio market. My two clearest signals in the city itself are WSRS-FM 96.1 and WWFX-FM 100.1 Southbridge. The country station on 98.9 was always a challenge when traveling through the area on I-84 or I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike. To this day, I still wonder why WAAF-FM 107.3 moved in their attempt to serve Boston. That one was so stupid!

Shouldn't WXLO-FM worry about their signal in Worcester, instead of Boston? I know it's licensed to Fitchburg, but serves the Worcester radio market. My two clearest signals in the city itself are WSRS-FM 96.1 and WWFX-FM 100.1 Southbridge. The country station on 98.9 was always a challenge when traveling through the area on I-84 or I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike. To this day, I still wonder why WAAF-FM 107.3 moved in their attempt to serve Boston. That one was so stupid!
$$$$$$$$$

Shouldn't WXLO-FM worry about their signal in Worcester, instead of Boston?

They cume 55,000 in the Worcester market, and over 400,000 in the Boston market. As Tomgsinger said, $$$

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom