• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Which Bay Area radio stations would both CBS and Entercom agree to sell

The curious part of this market is why would Entercom willingly give up the top-rated music station in the market? That seems like insanity. The spin-offs in this market alone would make for a very profitable group.

Plus, why would they keep the AM with the poor signal? 1140 kicks ass compared to 1320. I can only think that it has something to do with studio consolidation and trying to spend as little money as possible in this market. But we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

Dave B.

The DOJ doesn't really care which stations are involved. It's strictly about the market saturation numbers.

My view is they were picked specifically because of a particular buyer. When we learn who it is, it'll become obvious.

And once those buyers are announced, Entercom could end up moving some of the formats they wish to retain to the stations they're keeping.

And once those buyers are announced, Entercom could end up moving some of the formats they wish to retain to the stations they're keeping.

Possible, but not likely. The Big A's point was that a certain buyer was probably willing to pay a premium price for those stations. If it (or they) wanted sticks, they'd have been happy with KITS or 102.1.

Possible, but not likely. The Big A's point was that a certain buyer was probably willing to pay a premium price for those stations. If it (or they) wanted sticks, they'd have been happy with KITS or 102.1.

Maybe there won't any frequency swaps involved. My concern about all of Entercom's divestitures is how the formats of the divested stations could be put in jeopardy.

I see at least one of the 16 stations changing format. When the domino affect of "who gets what" starts/ends, I could easily see 2 more, likely 5 formats from the west coast to the east coast gone/fliped.

To only concentrate on scenarios that "don't allow" format changes is not how the strategy of radio works at this level. But I agree with BigA there are some obvious stations that will not see any or little change. My magic eight ball said some format collateral damage is inevitable.

I see at least one of the 16 stations changing format. When the domino affect of "who gets what" starts/ends, I could easily see 2 more, likely 5 formats from the west coast to the east coast gone/fliped.

To only concentrate on scenarios that "don't allow" format changes is not how the strategy of radio works at this level. But I agree with BigA there are some obvious stations that will not see any or little change. My magic eight ball said some format collateral damage is inevitable.

Although I’m more concerned about the changes on Entercom’s side than with the new owners of the divested stations. All we can pretty much do is “roll with the changes” once Entercom divests their remaining stations.

Plus, why would they keep the AM with the poor signal? 1140 kicks ass compared to 1320. I can only think that it has something to do with studio consolidation and trying to spend as little money as possible in this market. But we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

Dave B.

HA!! Sorry - I just realized we were talking about San Francisco here. I was talking about Sacramento (up in this thread) where I thought KNCI was the top music station (might be - not sure). I need to look at the header on the forum I guess. But the comment still stands. Some of the stations they've chosen to let go of are arguably the better ones in the markets. Especially KOIT and KNCI.

Dave B.

HA!! Sorry - I just realized we were talking about San Francisco here. I was talking about Sacramento (up in this thread) where I thought KNCI was the top music station (might be - not sure). I need to look at the header on the forum I guess. But the comment still stands. Some of the stations they've chosen to let go of are arguably the better ones in the markets. Especially KOIT and KNCI.

Guessing with respect to Sacto, Entercom couldn’t have easily kept KNCI or KYMX and the rest of its cluster due to the revenue cap. KSFM hasn’t performed at the level it once did and has tended to struggle to bill up to its ratings. So, fitting it in probably wasn’t difficult. There’s also been some speculation that Bonneville will be getting that cluster, and KSFM would be the one station it wouldn’t want.

With respect to San Francisco, if anyone had that list predicted, that person was either closely involved in the dealmaking process or had the best psychic in the world.

It's what you have to do in life. Glad to hear those words from you. Yesterday my dog rotated her stomach and it was emergency Vet time. She is doing good after emergency surgery. I'm just rolling with it.

I do have stations in my area that will be impacted by the merger, but they're not in any of the overlapping markets. There could also be format changes beyond the markets where Entercom's divesting stations and in most cases, I'd roll with these changes.

And those changes returned the station to the top of the ratings, which is where it is now.

Yes - that "Light Rock, Less Talk"positioner was about 30 years old and really boring to hear. It was also wrong - since their playlist had been updated even before Entercom to include a lot of NON-light rock. I was hearing Springsteen's Born in the USA on KOIT, for example. Entercom has updated the playlist further, adding a lot of new music and jettisoning the "Light Rock Oldies" from the 70s.

However, it wasn't a wholesale format change.

No...KOIT is still on the "light" side, but that seems to work for them because so much current pop is "light," anyway. So they could practically claim to be an AOR station. Cleverly (I think), they're staying away from referring to any format.

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b15229

Here is an update

CBS has launched its exchange offer to their shareholders in connection with the merger of CBS Radio and Entercom. Under the terms of the offer, CBS shareholders can exchange shares of CBS Class B common stock for shares of CBS Radio common stock (which, upon completion of the merger, will convert into shares of Entercom Class A common stock). The exchange offer is scheduled to conclude on the evening of November 16, the day after the scheduled special meeting of Entercom shareholders to approve the merger.

CBS Chairman/CEO Leslie Moonves stated that the exchange offer gives CBS shareholders "the opportunity to invest in what we believe will be a best-in-class radio company, with top assets and a terrific management team." In a memo to staff, Entercom President/CEO David Field agreed with Mooves, writing "We couldn't be more excited about the team we are building, the brands we will own, and the bold plans we have to enable the combined company to thrive in the future with big investments across many areas of our business to enhance our capabilities and firepower."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom