• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

W46DK (rf 17) on the air as of July 1

17.1 = Laff, 17.2 = Buzzr, 17.3 = Escape

All three subchannels ID as "WUOA-LD"

This would leave WOTM-LP 19 in Montevallo as the last analog signal in metro Birmingham, right?

Also, WBMA-LD 58.3 has dropped Heartland for American Sports Network.

Last edited:
On one TV I have it shows as 46 and on another it shows as 17.

Either way, they just added more subchannels:

.4 = Color Bars
.5 = QVC
.6 = Color Bars
.7 = Liquidation Channel
.8 = QVC Plus

Wonder what would be on the 2 blank ones?

Just looking at what DTV has agreements with and taking out the ones already in the market that leaves
Cozi
Country Network
DrTV
Newsmax

or a Spanish Network (which I'm leaning towards no as they would carry it in HD on the -1)

One one TV (a 2005-vintage Samsung with built-in DTV tuner) the channels show as "17-:01", "17-:02", and so on.
On the other DTV tuner (A broken LG DVD-Recorder I keep because of the working DTV tuner), they all show as "WUOA-LD". Never seen such a discrepancy on any other channel before.

This would leave WOTM-LP 19 in Montevallo as the last analog signal in metro Birmingham, right?

Y'know, I'm not actually sure that this station is on the air, or has been on the air in the last 15 or 20 years. I lived in Helena in the early 2000's and never once picked it up off the air despite being in rather close proximity. Probably around 2005, I drove to the transmitter site coordinates that the FCC has and never saw any evidence of a tower or broadcast antenna on any structure. It was a residential street on a hillside in Alabaster. I had a portable TV with me and got nothing, not even a hint of a signal.

The best I can tell, the programming is really only available via cable in Shelby County.

There's another analog license that I'm aware of, and that's W15AZ in Alabaster, which is a repeater for the Glen Iris WAY TV in Birmingham. I was able to verify that it was on the air back in the 2000's but I had to drive out into the absolute boonies and be within eyesight of the station to pick it up. But that was before W49AY moved to channel 47 and went digital, so I have no idea if this station is still around. The transmitter location was east of I-65 if I remember correctly, way out on a winding dirt road that pretty much lead to nowhere. I only had a faint trace of a picture on the portable TV by the time I got back into Alabaster where I-65 and US 31 intersect just south of downtown.

It seems that since full power stations went digital, the few analog stations left have either slowly withered away or turned in licenses. My website still has a massive list of analog LPTV stations but I don't have ANY current information as to whether any of them are truly on or not. Most entries are orphaned leftovers from stations that flash cut or transitioned to digital. They're still in the FCC database but have been off for years. I just don't really have any way to verify if they can be removed or not, since I lack contacts in most parts of Alabama with functioning outdoor antennas.

I am happy to see that DTV America is adding a bunch of programming options for OTA viewers in Birmingham, even if the PQ is going to be bad and standard definition. I wish they'd bring some more programming down here to Darwin's Waiting Room (Mobile), but our geography seems to work against lower powered broadcasters since everything is so spread out.

One one TV (a 2005-vintage Samsung with built-in DTV tuner) the channels show as "17-:01", "17-:02", and so on.
On the other DTV tuner (A broken LG DVD-Recorder I keep because of the working DTV tuner), they all show as "WUOA-LD". Never seen such a discrepancy on any other channel before.

I've never encountered that, either. As Frank pointed out above, WDBB's virtual channel is also 17, and I wonder if this issue is causing problems for people who can pick up both WDBB and WUOA-LD. WDBB has a good signal over most of the western metro area, so there ought to be a lot of overlap between these two stations each showing virtual 17 as their channel number on some TVs.

I'm not really sure how TVs would handle that kind of "collision". Down here in Mobile, Daystar put on a channel that was using the wrong PSIP for a while. Their physical channel is 18 and since it was a new post-digital transition build, my understanding is they should have used 18.- as their virtual channel number. But instead they picked 4.-, which caused some issues for fringe viewers because WWL in New Orleans and WTVY in Dothan are both using virtual channel 4.

Re: WOTM-19

TVGuide lists all religious programming for them so they may still be on the air even though their webpage and Facebook page seem abandoned.

When I was living in Homewood in 1999, WOTM was carried by Charter cable. At that time they were airing a lot of local programming then - talk shows, local HS sports, town council meetings, and some sort of local pro wrestling if I remember correctly. All of it looked like it was produced with consumer grade equipment on worn VHS tapes, but at least they were trying. It was odd to me that they were carried on a cable system 40 miles away when they seemed so geared towards Shelby County.

I moved across the line to Birmingham in 2000 and Bright House has never carried them.

As of right this moment - in what I assume is a technical glitch - all of the 17/46 subchannels are showing a black screen with no audio EXCEPT for .4 through .7 which are showing either the color bars or shop-at-home channels as I listed them above. I'm getting a perfect signal from them right now.

WBXA-CD rf 24 also may have dropped BIZ TV. For the last several weeks, it's been .1-Color bars, .2 and .3 with the same SonLife feed.

I've never encountered that, either. As Frank pointed out above, WDBB's virtual channel is also 17, and I wonder if this issue is causing problems for people who can pick up both WDBB and WUOA-LD. WDBB has a good signal over most of the western metro area, so there ought to be a lot of overlap between these two stations each showing virtual 17 as their channel number on some TVs..

I thought WUOA virtual was 46?

I know some older TVs do not display the psip properly. When my grandma moved into her assisted living facility before they hooked up her cable I hooked up a TV antenna and most of the channels would only show the actual RF number and not the psip number

So instead of 4.1 for WCCO CBS it showed 32.1 (the RF station)

Just noticed today that WUOA 46.4 is now The Country Network.

Alabama Public TV subchannels have shuffled as well. .1 = PBS, .2 = PBS Kids, .3 = Create, .4 = World.

Just noticed today that WUOA 46.4 is now The Country Network.

Alabama Public TV subchannels have shuffled as well. .1 = PBS, .2 = PBS Kids, .3 = Create, .4 = World.

Yeah someone passed on that info to me the other day, looks like they've made the change all over the state with the PSIP but the programming as far as I can tell is still World Channel on .2 for right now. It is supposed to go live on January 16th I think? And World moves exclusively to .4 on Jan 1st.

I'm kind of curious why WUOA-LD skipped 46.6. It used to be color bars but recently I was told it's completely gone. Their lineup now:

46.1 - Laff
46.2 - Buzzr
46.3 - Escape
46.4 - The Country Network
46.5 - QVC
46.7 - Liquidation Channel
46.8 - QVC Plus

I imagine at some point something was supposed to go on 46.6 and the deal fell through.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom