• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BOOST AM NIGHTTIME POWER & other interesting suggestions- DO YOU AGREE?

Well, I'm certainly eating a bit of crow. It looks like my AM will be getting a translator after all. Not sure why, but I'm not going to complain!

Congratulations!

Just wondering if any of the smaller AM/MW stations might be planning to run on their daytime power 24/7, while the FCC takes some time off next week?

OK,.... mostly just kidding. But I wonder....

Have any stations thought of doing some testing, coordinating with nearby stations via their SBE chapters, during the Experimental Period (midnight to sunrise?)
You could operate with various licensed powers and patterns, while coordinating with nearby co-channel and adjacent channel stations, broadcasting with various "sample" programming. I'd suggest many, many Station ID's, periods of silence, music, and samples of talk/news, etc.
Coordinate with nearby market stations, perhaps using a qualified listener/tech/engineer to act as a "traffic cop", while listening from a few dozen miles away. See how much interference seems tolerable when a desired station is broadcasting typical-type programming, as well as what interference is noted with no modulation, or with the carrier actually off. Do you get beats and heterodynes with just a clean carrier? Does typical programming cover up any incoming interference? Use the ID's to keep track of who's broadcasting at what times. Include an address for reception reports, and maybe even a live phone number during the tests.

"Advertise" it in advance, to SWL's and others, like a "DX Test", so you get some Reception Reports (heck, make up some QSL Cards on the computer ;) ), and see what you can hear back from them.....don't just include the tech-ies, but let your regular and potential listeners know what you are planning, and ask them for feedback.

Get some real-world feedback.

Just wondering if any of the smaller AM/MW stations might be planning to run on their daytime power 24/7, while the FCC takes some time off next week?

OK,.... mostly just kidding. But I wonder....

Have any stations thought of doing some testing, coordinating with nearby stations via their SBE chapters, during the Experimental Period (midnight to sunrise?)
You could operate with various licensed powers and patterns, while coordinating with nearby co-channel and adjacent channel stations, broadcasting with various "sample" programming. I'd suggest many, many Station ID's, periods of silence, music, and samples of talk/news, etc.
Coordinate with nearby market stations, perhaps using a qualified listener/tech/engineer to act as a "traffic cop", while listening from a few dozen miles away. See how much interference seems tolerable when a desired station is broadcasting typical-type programming, as well as what interference is noted with no modulation, or with the carrier actually off. Do you get beats and heterodynes with just a clean carrier? Does typical programming cover up any incoming interference? Use the ID's to keep track of who's broadcasting at what times. Include an address for reception reports, and maybe even a live phone number during the tests.

"Advertise" it in advance, to SWL's and others, like a "DX Test", so you get some Reception Reports (heck, make up some QSL Cards on the computer ;) ), and see what you can hear back from them.....don't just include the tech-ies, but let your regular and potential listeners know what you are planning, and ask them for feedback.

Get some real-world feedback.

That sounds like a whole lot of work for a business full of people who don't like extra work. This is radio, we got into it because it's not hard work.

That sounds like a whole lot of work for a business full of people who don't like extra work. This is radio, we got into it because it's not hard work.

You are kidding.... right?

That's why some people liked the days of live dj's.... it was possible to hang around the business and live a leisurely life. It was tolerated because legally... someone had to read the meters every 30 minutes.

But... if you didn't figure out what needed to be done that was hard work, by the time you were 30 you found yourself working at your father-in-laws hardware store or something.... I t turned out radio was often a dead-end if you were not a work-a-holic. Or you didn't care that you couldn't afford to put money away for retirement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom